Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=529)
-   -   Talk to me about coconut oil (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=221848)

crunchymum 10-11-2007 09:36 AM

Re: Talk to me about coconut oil

so is yours sort of chunky, too? i thought maybe i got a not so good batch... :scratch i don't like the taste as well, either....

CakeLady 10-11-2007 10:26 AM

don't know...i have been a bit afraid to try it. I haven't had it very long...

crunchymum 10-11-2007 10:28 AM

oh! you haven't tried it yet... why afraid?

CakeLady 10-11-2007 11:14 AM

I just wasn't 100% sure what to do with it. I kept meaning to post about it and look up some ideas...I just never got around to doing it. :O

Soliloquy 10-11-2007 11:28 AM

To get started, a good way is cook eggs in 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 butter on lowish heat. You don't ever want to use high or med high--it destroys more nutrients and the fats can lose some of their wonderful qualities.

If you ever have dry skin, a tiny bit of CO will melt right into your skin--prevent infection, stop itching, relieves pain of eczema, etc. etc. etc.

Also, it helps cure cold sores. Just a tiny bit once a day.

geegee 10-11-2007 12:24 PM

Could I have a link to the nativa{Thats the better right?}please :heart I havent tried any but the tropical traditions but I would like a better consystancyits not chunky tho.

crunchymum 10-11-2007 01:45 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic.../dp/B000GAT6NG

you can maybe get it for sheaper elsewhere... :think

geegee 10-11-2007 01:56 PM

:ty :rose

tempus vernum 10-11-2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM
To get started, a good way is cook eggs in 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 butter on lowish heat. You don't ever want to use high or med high--it destroys more nutrients and the fats can lose some of their wonderful qualities.

If you ever have dry skin, a tiny bit of CO will melt right into your skin--prevent infection, stop itching, relieves pain of eczema, etc. etc. etc.

Also, it helps cure cold sores. Just a tiny bit once a day.

A couple of "confessions"

I have tried a bunch of times on cold sores, it does NOTHING for mine -- I gave up after day 4 or 5 and used my homeopathic remedy which cleared it right up.

For me, coconut oil was totally a "acquired taste". I can't eat it plain, can't eat it with eggs and can't tolerate it on toast (instead of butter - we are dairy free). It took a long time for me to manage to eat it when it wasn't cooked :O Now I can tolerate it in dehydrated cookies and in almost all of our baked goods as well as over popcorn :) I can also enjoy it in lukewarm tea (like lisa said don't want to destroy all its properties ;) I want to try it plain but am afraid cuz the smell makes my stomach turn :sick I was thinking of trying it in smoothies but think it would be chunky :shrug

I do LOVE it on my skin but it didn't help with dh's fungal rashes or with savana's skin rashes. For savana only plain aloe helped. I don't know why it was like this for us. Maybe my oil was too old by the time I tried it on these things. Now that I go through a gallon every 3rd month or so, it would be stronger.

I also use Nutiva. I was actually going to email CLNF to find out their brand good to know about the tropical traditions - I am so picky about this coconut oil thing that I probably shouldn't change brands EVER :hiding .

Only posting this to be honest and maybe figure out what I am doing wrong that it's not working on cold sores, fungal infections, etc. :scratch

righteous mama 10-11-2007 07:54 PM

I'm using NOW Virgin Coconut Oil. I want to use it in baking. Do you just replace the butter with the same measurement?

Also, does anyone take it in capsules? I gag when I take it and it makes me feel icky for about 1/2 hour after. I think it's the feel of it. For some reason I can do olive oil, but not co.

tempus vernum 10-11-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by righteous mama
I'm using NOW Virgin Coconut Oil. I want to use it in baking. Do you just replace the butter with the same measurement?

Yes, I use it exact amounts. :yes

Soliloquy 10-11-2007 09:19 PM

Do you use it in only your dehydrated recipes? Or do you use in regular oven baking, too? I tried replacing butter w/ CO in our pizza crust and in a cake recipe and it was AWFUL. (we bake them in the oven--no dehydrator :violin) We threw both out, they were so bad (me throwing out chocolate--it's gotta be bad). :yes2

tempus vernum 10-11-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM
Do you use it in only your dehydrated recipes? Or do you use in regular oven baking, too? I tried replacing butter w/ CO in our pizza crust and in a cake recipe and it was AWFUL. (we bake them in the oven--no dehydrator :violin) We threw both out, they were so bad (me throwing out chocolate--it's gotta be bad). :yes2

Yep, oven baking (cake, brownie, sweet breads), pancakes, waffles, dehydrator recipes, bread, rolls, etc. IN fact, my chocolate brownie recipe with Coconut Oil and sweetened with cane juice is . . . well. .fantastic :O -- not to brag but everyone is always asking for the recipe which I laugh and tell them better homes and gardens with a few changes ;).

I do not make pizza crusts anymore though - we buy sourdough pizza crusts cuz Luke doesn't like my pizza crusts :rolleyes

We coconut oil for everything except frying eggs :haha and greasing stuff (like greasing the pan before baking the brownies) and buttering bread. Sometimes I even use it in tomato sauces instead of olive oil :shrug I will say that I am moving towards palm oil for my bread cuz the bread is softer than when made with coconut oil -- found that out when I ran out of coconut oil. It's our "staple" oil. :) THat's why we go through a gallon every 3 months or so - I have gone through a gallon in two months before if I was on a "baking spree" :O

Blestw/manyLuvs 10-12-2007 11:47 AM

I love CO!!! I've known about it for quite a while but after my 3rd and 4th babies I forgot all the good fat info I had learned though WAPF, NT, and Dr Mercola, and I went low fat hoping to loose weight. Well, I gained!! I recently went over some of my dietary info and :scratch I realized I needed to add CO into my diet. I immediately lost 5lbs w/o trying. This after being unable to loose no matter what I did and being bigger than ever.
I us it ase a moisturizer also and it works great. :yes
You all have reminded me that I should use it for some scalp issues I'm dealing with.
I recently bought a gallon from mountain rose herbs for a very good price and it tastes great (I don't generally have a problem with Coconutty flavor anyway)! :heart
For more detailed info you can check out Dr mercola and weston a price foundation web sites. :smile

BHope 10-12-2007 11:56 AM

Anybody have a storage suggestion? I have the nutiva brand and am constantly making a mess with it! Our home is warm enough (right now) that it stays in liquid form. Maybe I should store it in the fridge? Or put it in a squirt bottle? I'm so over all the oil messes that need cleaning!