Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Instant pot! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=517412)

knitlove 01-17-2016 02:19 PM

Re: Instant pot!

Does it have difrent levels of prusher?

I am trying to convert the edd recipie to use in my stove top cooker

Michele123 01-17-2016 08:22 PM

Ok. I'm really intrigued. Is there a difference between brands and types? Or are they all pretty much the same? Which ones do you all have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

esperanza 01-17-2016 08:30 PM

I don't have the link handy, but best bites food blog just had an intro to pressure cookers post and will be doing more recipes. They mentioned some good brands.

ECingMama 01-17-2016 08:37 PM

Instant pot is the brand. Several of us bought the one that is $118 on Amazon right now.

I made soup tonight.

3 min to prep. Cut potatoes, etc. Used last night's broth. Frozen shredded chicken. Frozen. Veggies. Took 20 min to come up to temp/pressure. I set it for 15 min. Took 5 min to quick release steam!!

Good enough soup. We had just come home from skiing. It was nice that dinner took me 3 minutes. I could ignore it the other 35-40 minutes. I stretched to an exercise DVD while it cooked.:rockon My husband unloaded the car. My kids played.

This particular one wasn't that *instant* though. Frozen items on a soup takes longer. Good reminder. :)

Soliloquy 01-17-2016 09:21 PM

Tonight I cooked some bone-in chicken breasts from frozen just to have handy for easy protein this week.

1 c hot water
3 frozen bone-in chicken breasts

Poultry setting for 25 minutes.

Took 10 minutes to come up to pressure. Cooked very nicely and there was a good amount of beautifully clear broth as a bonus.

When roasts are next on sale I'm going to try a pot roast recipe I saw at hip pressure cooking.

This is the one most of us have:
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP...ds=Instant+pot

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 5980986)
Does it have difrent levels of prusher?

I am trying to convert the edd recipie to use in my stove top cooker

It has different settings and a manual setting but you don't select a numerical pressure like on a traditional pressure cooker. It's a next-generation, fuzzy logic machine. But I think the recipes are mostly interchangeable with a little experience.

heartofjoy 01-18-2016 09:05 AM

I'm intrigued. I'm curious about the size. Can you do little and big amounts? Or is it like a crockpot where you have to fill it over halfway?

Lady Grey 01-18-2016 09:17 AM

So I made a whole chicken last night. Is there supposed to be a lot of steam coming out while it's cooking? The lid and the valve were definitely closed, but there was a lot of steam and I ended up with a pool of water on my counter. :-/

It was tasty, but I think doing the bone-in chicken breasts might be easier. (I hate the mess of whole chickens) Those are on sale right now too so I will pick some up later today.

The Tickle Momster 01-18-2016 09:58 AM

I'm intrigued. I'm curious about heartofjoy's question too. I'm also wondering how easy is it to clean?

ECingMama 01-18-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Grey (Post 5981218)
So I made a whole chicken last night. Is there supposed to be a lot of steam coming out while it's cooking? The lid and the valve were definitely closed, but there was a lot of steam and I ended up with a pool of water on my counter. :-/

It was tasty, but I think doing the bone-in chicken breasts might be easier. (I hate the mess of whole chickens) Those are on sale right now too so I will pick some up later today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 5981226)
I'm intrigued. I'm curious about heartofjoy's question too. I'm also wondering how easy is it to clean?

It's very easy to clean. I took all the parts off and cleaned the gasket and seal too.

I'm surprised about the water. Do you have the plastic thing hanging off the side to collect water?

Dandelion 01-18-2016 11:29 AM

I have been stalking this thread and kind of drooling over the idea of Instant Pot. But I just got a new Crockpot for Christmas so there was no way I could justify an Instant Pot.

Well, what just came in the mail from my sister? Instant Pot! I am so excited to try it:)

backtobasicsmum 01-18-2016 12:00 PM

http://www.foodandsunshine.com/lazy-...ant-pot-broth/

I'm doing beef bone broth following the instructions in the above link.

ctab 01-18-2016 12:12 PM

I didn't have any water leakage when I made the whole chicken. Did you fill it beyond the max fill line?

november 01-18-2016 01:21 PM

I got an Instant Pot for Christmas and I am too nervous to use it ! What is my problem?!!? Lol! I feel so intimidated by this contraption! Going to start reading this thread from the start and see if I can muster up some courage to give it a whirl lol

ECingMama 01-18-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by november (Post 5981339)
I got an Instant Pot for Christmas and I am too nervous to use it ! What is my problem?!!? Lol! I feel so intimidated by this contraption! Going to start reading this thread from the start and see if I can muster up some courage to give it a whirl lol

I was afraid of mine too. The pieces that came with it freaked me out. Lol.

I made bourbon chicken in my instant pot today. I used apple cider vinegar instead of Bourbon. It called for apple juice but I sauted apples instead and that was great!

Recipe book is Great Good Fast by Bob Warden.

Lady Grey 01-18-2016 02:25 PM

Oops - I did not have the little cup attached on the back. :doh

I am definitely another who is pretty intimidated by the IP. It will be time to do another batch of eggs soon - at least I have that one figured out lol.