Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   GD Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=526)
-   -   Best Scriptures you feel support GBD (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=354162)

motherlyservant 04-09-2010 05:44 AM

Best Scriptures you feel support GBD

I am going to keep a notebook full of scripture that encourages GBD what are your favs?

allisonintx 04-09-2010 05:46 AM

Re: Best Scriptures you feel support GBD

"Father's, provoke not your children to wrath"

"Whatever you have done unto the least of these you have done also unto me"

Granola_mom 04-09-2010 06:05 AM

One of my irl friends and I were just talking about that!!!! Getti g an entire list of "how to treat other people" verses and really keeping it close to our hearts!! I just think it is sooooooooo crazy that (punitive) parents use those very few and far between verses to bases a whole theology of so called "biblical discipline" on. I want to know about how to treat each other. That's the best start on how to treat our littlest people!!!
Good thread!!! I'll be coming back with my armor!! ;)

katiekind 04-09-2010 06:18 AM

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as
in Christ God forgave you.

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5

(I find this to be a great example for a good attitude to have when giving guidance to our own children.)

JenLovie 04-09-2010 07:31 AM

Subbing

BarefootBetsy 04-09-2010 07:45 AM

Subbing & will be back later with some :)

allisonintx 04-09-2010 08:12 AM

Gal 5:22-23 the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

prov31craftymom 04-09-2010 08:35 AM

subbing

MudPies 04-09-2010 08:38 AM

subbing here too:kiss

Tee 04-09-2010 10:01 AM

Me too waiting to hear more :)

katiekind 04-09-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. John 13:14
Jesus, creator of the universe, very God, humbled himself to serve. He made it clear that the kind of leaders he wants are servant-leaders. Not bossy, impatient, lording-their-authority leaders.

Quote:

you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions.
This passage might be a little too familiar. Stop and think how it would go if it supported a punitive approach to bad behavior. It could have said, "You were dead in your transgressions and sins - too bad for you. You got that lightning bolt you so richly deserved."

Instead of the punishment we deserved, God sent more help, more love, more mercy. That's grace.

motherlyservant 04-09-2010 11:51 AM

Thank you so much everyone! Keep em coming! What does everyone mean by subbing?

Marrae 04-09-2010 01:08 PM

The love chapter 1 Cor 13 -
Quote:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
Oh, and subbing means subscribing to the thread so that you can read the replies. :)

marigold 04-10-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiekind (Post 3011877)
But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5

(I find this to be a great example for a good attitude to have when giving guidance to our own children.)

To go with this also I like James 3:17. I have these 2 posted together on my fridge "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy."

katiekind 04-10-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

To go with this also I like James 3:17. I have these 2 posted together on my fridge "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy."
:yes :tu

Scriptures that help support and inform us in our roles as parents are everywhere once you realize that kids are people, too.