Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   More lunch ideas to pack (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527357)

milkmommy 07-08-2019 05:33 PM

More lunch ideas to pack
 
Margaret is doing a ballet summer intensive. Her schedule is basically 10:30am-4:30pm

30 minute conditioning class
1.5 hr ballet class
45 lunch
1 hour class (this week rotates between hip hop\ pre Pointe
45 academic based class (varies) today they studied swan lake
15minute break
1 hour ballet

Today I packed her a sunbutter/jam sandwich, cucumber slices, blueberries, a snack bag sized trail mix with granola, banana chips almonds and raisins and a Lara had plus her water bottle.. It was more food than she typically eats and was assuming she'd have extra for like snack time of car ride home.. Nope she ate every bite and said she needed more food.

School has no restrictions they just ask for a light lunch.. Which doesn't mean low calorie but nothing too heavy..for obvious reasons. She can't do gluten or dairy and we try to reasonably stay peanut free...So suggestions?

Virginia 07-08-2019 05:40 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
More protein/healthy fats? Help her stay full longer.
Can she do hummus or avocado/guacamole?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milkmommy 07-08-2019 06:31 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6185699)
More protein/healthy fats? Help her stay full longer.
Can she do hummus or avocado/guacamole?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She doesn't like either unfortunately. I think your right with the protein fats but I'm unsure how.

knitlove 07-08-2019 07:01 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
Will she eat salami sticks? That is my go to thing for lunches out of the house.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Virginia 07-08-2019 07:15 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 6185700)
She doesn't like either unfortunately. I think your right with the protein fats but I'm unsure how.



Thatís a very physically strenuous schedule for her to not be consuming more protein in my not expert opinion ;) Carbs and sugars burn up so fast!

Tuna, shredded chicken (I was going to say chicken salad but yíall are DF), beans, lunch meató all things Iíve packed for my DD for lunch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esperanza 07-08-2019 07:33 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
String cheese would be good or cheese slices.

Scratch that- just re-read that no dairy! Sorry!
What about non-dairy/soy yogurt? Maybe with granola or fruit mixed in?

knitlove 07-08-2019 08:59 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6185707)
Thatís a very physically strenuous schedule for her to not be consuming more protein in my not expert opinion ;) Carbs and sugars burn up so fast!

Tuna, shredded chicken (I was going to say chicken salad but yíall are DF), beans, lunch meató all things Iíve packed for my DD for lunch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do chicken salid that is dairy free. Today my girls had tuna salid.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

milkmommy 07-08-2019 09:36 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6185707)
Thatís a very physically strenuous schedule for her to not be consuming more protein in my not expert opinion ;) Carbs and sugars burn up so fast!

Tuna, shredded chicken (I was going to say chicken salad but yíall are DF), beans, lunch meató all things Iíve packed for my DD for lunch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can do a chicken salad, might pick up a rotisserie tomorrow do do that. Totally agree she needs more protein...

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6185712)
String cheese would be good or cheese slices.

Scratch that- just re-read that no dairy! Sorry!
What about non-dairy/soy yogurt? Maybe with granola or fruit mixed in?

She's adding some soy based yogurt to her breakfast (I'm making eggs for her).

Tomorrow I have packed with her help
Sandwich with Turkey df cheese and bacon on a buttered gf roll
Cherry tomatoes and carrots
Apple/banana pouch
Kind protein bar carby still but 12g protein and 4g fat
Granola trail mix

Hopefully this will help the her over till dinner.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6185704)
Will she eat salami sticks? That is my go to thing for lunches out of the house.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Never tried them. I'll give it a go we have three weeks of this.
It's like the ultimate picky eater cure though.. For dinner was had baked chicken with brown rice roasted zucchini and green beans.. Normally she'll eat maybe 1/3 a chicken thigh poke at s slice on zucchini eat a hand full of beans and move rice around her plate..

Today she ate 2 thighs and some of one of mine.. A decent sized scoop of rice went back for seconds on zucchini and thirds on the beans and then had some Apple slices with peanut butter for dessert.

2sunshines 07-09-2019 04:06 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
I agree with upping the protein.

Meat sticks. Pieces of luncheon meat with gluten free crackers. a wide variety of nuts.

My kids love a mixture of nuts and dairy free chocolate chips. You're staying peanut free, but do you do other nuts? Almonds? Cashews? Cashews are high in fat so we love those.

ViolaMum 07-09-2019 04:42 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
I'd check with the camp before sending anything with nuts. My kids' dance studio is nut-free, just like the schools. I sent them to one camp a couple of years ago and unless it had a nut-free designation on the label, the kids couldn't even open the package.

Meat sticks are much safer.

milkmommy 07-09-2019 10:13 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6185800)
I'd check with the camp before sending anything with nuts. My kids' dance studio is nut-free, just like the schools. I sent them to one camp a couple of years ago and unless it had a nut-free designation on the label, the kids couldn't even open the package.

Meat sticks are much safer.

They are fine with anything. This year their is no one in the summer classes with a peanut/tree but allergy. A sister of one has a pretty severe peanut allergy (just peanut) so just to be careful of obvious cross we are using sun butter instead of peanut butter as my daughter is good friends with her daughters.
Otherwise anything is allowed..
The sandwich from today did fill her more but she said she didn't really like it.. Honestly she not a big meat sandwich person. I'm not sure how she respond to like meat sticks..
She still saying not enough food...
Tomorrow we have packed
1.5 sandwiches sun butter with blueberry jam
Cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices
Apple slices
a Hard boiled egg
Trail mix
Water

Virginia 07-10-2019 04:08 AM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
Does she eat a decent breakfast with protein? That should help.
(I am not a huge breakfast person, but I definitely have found that eating eggs for breakfast helps me not get hungry again so early)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milkmommy 07-10-2019 10:50 AM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6185851)
Does she eat a decent breakfast with protein? That should help.
(I am not a huge breakfast person, but I definitely have found that eating eggs for breakfast helps me not get hungry again so early)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's been having two scrambled eggs a slice of bacon and a soy yogurt cup with some frozen berries for breakfast.She says she is good till lunch. She has break around9/ 9:30am then lunch around 12:30 but then continues in classes till 4:30 (small break around 3).
I've asked if she can eat during her small break and she says yes if they have something.. I might start purposely packing her a second small snack so she'll have have something to the her till dinner.

2sunshines 07-10-2019 01:16 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
OH yes! I am glad you thought of hard boiled eggs for lunch. That's a great protein booster.

amommy23 07-10-2019 05:48 PM

Re: More lunch ideas to pack
 
What about pasta salad? One Of my daughters plays softball, and we have found pasta salad is one thing she will eat well during long hot tournaments. I just do a quick Italian dressing over noodles and add in olives and mozzarella pearls. You could maybe adjust it for your daughter’s dietary needs by using gluten free noodles and omitting the cheese. Some noodles have added protein or you could add in mini pepperoni or even cubed chicken.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.