Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=416)
-   -   Is there a memory change around 5? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=514902)

MegMarch 07-26-2015 07:19 PM

Is there a memory change around 5?

DD is going to be 5 in Nov. She recently does not remember all sorts of stuff that happened between 2 and now. Stuff like nursing (she weaned at the beginning of the year) and some travel and who gave her toys. It's been in maybe the past month that I've noticed her not remembering things like this. Normal? Freakish problem?

knitlove 07-26-2015 07:45 PM

Re: Is there a memory change around 5?

I experienced the same thing. It is kinda odd.

Kiara.I 07-26-2015 08:33 PM

I've heard there's a hormone flood around 5 that basically wipes out previous memories. But it's total hearsay.

ValiantJoy07 07-27-2015 05:45 AM

It hasn't been my experience, but I wonder if it's a genetic thing? Both DH and I have really really clear and abundant early memories. So far our kids seem to as well.

AngelaVA 07-27-2015 07:30 AM

Yep, with both my kids. They could remember their toddler years and even some infant stuff and then suddenly they couldn't remember anymore, right around school age. DH says he can remember almost nothing before he was about 10. I remember stuff as young as 3 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamommy 07-27-2015 07:39 AM

I think there is something to it, but I think it has been a little earlier than five, here.

It isn't that memories are wiped, but they remember much less, fewer details. One of my ds's at 3 could talk about things he remembered from age 1, even a couple instances from older infancy, but then it was just gone. Some of the memories are there but more vague impressions like someone much older might have.

I wonder, too, if it has to do with life experience. When they are so little, everything makes more of an impression because it is the first time. After they have lived a little, ;) something that made an impression at first might blend into the many other similar experiences they have had, and the brain doesn't categorize it as important to remember anymore. :think I know my memory often seems to work that way, anyway.

ETA: I have memories from age 2-just a few. And many that are from 3-4. Though they were much stronger when I was younger. My DH has very few memories before age 8 or so.

Sparrow 07-27-2015 07:52 AM

I think it might be more genetic. I remember tons from preschool and as young as two. So does my dad and he's 59. So does my 6 yo.

DH can't remember much at all before 8, and Bear can't recall much from preschool toddlerhood.