Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=438)
-   -   14 years!!! My Veganniversary! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=516279)

flowermama 11-01-2015 05:27 PM

14 years!!! My Veganniversary!

I can't believe it's been 14 years since I started eating vegan! I decided to try it out for a month 14 years ago, and then kept with it! Except about a month into it my MIL made me salmon, because she thought vegetarians eat fish, and I didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I ate it that day. That was the last time I ate meat, though.

I really don't want to eat meat. :think I can't imagine eating animals now. :no It's been good, and I'm so glad I decided to try it out!

I've heard since then that going "cold turkey" (haha!!) doesn't work for a lot of people, that changing more slowly can be more successful for more people than trying to do it all at once. I'm so glad it worked out. :phew

:turkey

Singingmom 11-01-2015 06:29 PM

Re: 14 years!!! My Veganniversary!

:congrats

flowermama 11-04-2015 12:23 PM

I was searching this forum for old threads about Thanksgiving, and I came across this post of mine from back in 2006:

Quote:

When I went vegan I tried it for a month to see how I felt. I felt fine and decided to go ahead and stay vegan. I ate turkey for Thanksgiving the month I was trying out being vegan and salmon once shortly after I became vegan because I felt bad because my MIL made salmon for me because she thought vegetarians could eat fish. Other than those things, I've tried to really stick with avoiding animal products (except for honey -- we do avoid buying it now, but do not rule out eating certain foods if they contain honey). Once at a restaurant I let them know I didn't want dairy, and they gave me something with goat cheese in it. grrrrr. I took one bite, I think. LOL Oh, and we've done the same thing with fake cheese at least once and maybe more, thinking it was totally dairy-free but finding that it had casein in it (oh, I think once I decided to go ahead and eat some almond cheese my mom gave me, and once when I was feeling really bummed I had some almond roca someone gave us ).
Ack!! It says I ate turkey for Thanksgiving that month [November 2001, my trial month when I first started eating vegan]! Why?! I had forgotten I did that. I guess maybe I wanted to try it one more time? Or maybe I didn't want to give up the tradition of eating turkey that year? :think

And it's true. . . many years ago I ate almond roca that someone had given us. We had visited a church and later the pastor visited our house and gave us a mug with almond roca in it. And one day when I was feeling sad, I ate the almond roca. :shifty

And I didn't mention this, but I used to eat a caramel apple at the fair once a year for a couple years (not sure exactly how many years) after I became vegan.

Okay, I'm not perfect, but I'm still counting it as 14 years, though, because of the amount of commitment it takes is huge. :shy

mommylove 11-04-2015 12:25 PM

awesome! :heart

ECingMama 11-04-2015 01:00 PM

I love how healthy you are!

I'm also glad to see you giving yourself grace.

I was a vegetarian for 12 years. I could totally be one again. I'd be on GCM searching for great recipes if I did it!

Aerynne 11-04-2015 01:02 PM

:hug

What have been the benefits you have seen?

flowermama 11-04-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 5960101)
I love how healthy you are!

I'm also glad to see you giving yourself grace.

I was a vegetarian for 12 years. I could totally be one again. I'd be on GCM searching for great recipes if I did it!

:ty4 :heart

That's so neat you were vegetarian for 12 years! :) Did you grow up vegetarian? Were you veg for health reasons or other reasons? Please only share if you want to. :hug

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 5960102)
:hug

What have been the benefits you have seen?

That's a really good question. :think I'm going to think about it some more and get back to you. :yes

VeganIma 03-25-2016 09:14 AM

That's inspiring! Congrats!