Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   GD Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=526)
-   -   Permissiveness or GBD? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=146888)

illinoismommy 01-24-2006 01:30 PM

Permissiveness or GBD?

What is the difference between permissiveness and GBD? I have read that permissiveness produces children who don't respect their parents and don't have much respect for boundaries.

ArmsOfLove 01-24-2006 02:05 PM

Re: Permissiveness or GBD?

Actually, that is not true at all. Permissiveness usually produces children who push for boundaries because children need boundaries to feel safe, but some children are not high needers of strict boundaries and can do fine in a permissive environment. Typically, though, when you have more than one, or a less easy going child, permissiveness isn't going to help you at all. Permissiveness is the opposite end of the spectrum from Punitive and, just like a child who is easy going and a people pleaser may need only a few spankings before they change behavior, thus making some people think spankings work, Permissiveness can *work* as well.

GBD is Grace-Based Discipline and it speaks to an entirely different paradigm from the one that says you're either punitive or permissive. It rejects the extremes of both while providing a middle ground that is both kind and firm.

You can read more about it at my website http://www.aolff.org and in the GD forum here.

Cheyenne 01-24-2006 02:07 PM

I came to GCM and started learning GBD to stop being so permissive. :O

CelticJourney 01-24-2006 03:14 PM

I think that the key difference between permissiveness and GBD is the D - discipline. Permissive parenting leaves the child on his own and his insecurity over having no one to help and protect him/her makes them act out, usually out of fear and insecurity. Assuming we agree that discipline means teaching, we as parents have a variety of ways to teach our children what they need to know. Punitive discipline teaches them to not do or to do certain things because they have learned to fear punishment and pain. GBD teaches children to do or not to do certain things because we have taught they the reasons why as their maturity allows, have helped them find ways to comply and modeled appropriate behavior and grace to them.

Permissive parenting says 'don't hit, I mean it don't hit, please, please stop hitting....' (they don't stop hitting)
Punitive parenting says 'dont' hit or I will hit you" (they stop hitting to avoid pain)
GBD parenting says 'don't hit because it is unkind and God has taught us to be kind to one another. If you can't control your hitting, I will remove you so that you are not tempted to hit and help you calm down.' (they stop hitting because they either understand or because the parent has stepped in to prevent the hitting)

Crystal, what do you think? Is that an accurate symmary?

ArmsOfLove 01-24-2006 07:04 PM

:tu

illinoismommy 01-24-2006 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcollins
I think that the key difference between permissiveness and GBD is the D - discipline. Permissive parenting leaves the child on his own and his insecurity over having no one to help and protect him/her makes them act out, usually out of fear and insecurity. Assuming we agree that discipline means teaching, we as parents have a variety of ways to teach our children what they need to know. Punitive discipline teaches them to not do or to do certain things because they have learned to fear punishment and pain. GBD teaches children to do or not to do certain things because we have taught they the reasons why as their maturity allows, have helped them find ways to comply and modeled appropriate behavior and grace to them.

Permissive parenting says 'don't hit, I mean it don't hit, please, please stop hitting....' (they don't stop hitting)
Punitive parenting says 'dont' hit or I will hit you" (they stop hitting to avoid pain)
GBD parenting says 'don't hit because it is unkind and God has taught us to be kind to one another. If you can't control your hitting, I will remove you so that you are not tempted to hit and help you calm down.' (they stop hitting because they either understand or because the parent has stepped in to prevent the hitting)

Crystal, what do you think? Is that an accurate symmary?

:highfive Yeah! I like that. There is still authority and effectiveness but its positive reinforcement :-)

Cheyenne 01-24-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcollins
Permissive parenting leaves the child on his own and his insecurity over having no one to help and protect him/her makes them act out, usually out of fear and insecurity.

Thankfully I was never even remotely that permissive. :cry

raisa 01-25-2006 03:48 PM

It helps me to understanding punitive/permissive in terms of feelings --

-Punitive parenting makes a child feel bad in order to learn

-Permissive parenting does anything, even withholding discipline, to avoid a child's bad feelings, asking the child for "permission" to parent them

-GBD teaches the child, at an age-appropriate level, to meet the standard. Feelings can be respected and reflected, but are not used as a tool for manipulation or fear (by either the parent or the child).

LadybugSam 01-26-2006 05:50 PM

Robin, thank you for that simplified answer, i'll try to remember that when people ask me about my parenting.

bliss 01-29-2006 07:59 PM

Permissive is the mama with a five year old about to jump off the second-story eave of the house saying, "Now Joey, think about the consequenses of your actions. Is jumping off the roof a good choice?" (true life example from my neighbor all through high school and the reason why it took me so long to even consider non-punitive discipline - I thought all "positive discipline" looked like that bozo and her hellion son who, now btw, is sadly in jail.)

illinoismommy 01-30-2006 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bliss
Permissive is the mama with a five year old about to jump off the second-story eave of the house saying, "Now Joey, think about the consequenses of your actions. Is jumping off the roof a good choice?" (true life example from my neighbor all through high school and the reason why it took me so long to even consider non-punitive discipline - I thought all "positive discipline" looked like that bozo and her hellion son who, now btw, is sadly in jail.)

Me too! I know three grown "children" from the same family who were raised permissively and it does not look well for them.......... :jawdrop

Heather Micaela 01-31-2006 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinoismommy
Quote:

Originally Posted by bliss

sadly I resisted GBD for the same reason, but one you see the difference, it makes all the sense in the world

Me too! I know three grown "children" from the same family who were raised permissively and it does not look well for them.......... :jawdrop

Joanne 02-02-2006 07:39 AM

It's really the wrong question. :yes GBD is *grace* *based* *discipline*. One of the tenents of it is a lack of phsyical and arbitrary punishment, but that's not what defines it.

If it's permissive, it's not discipline. The problem is that people hear (or observe) a lack of traditional punishment and they filter all normal child behavior through their own issues. A gbd'ed child who pushes is seen as "out of control" while one who is spanked is seen as normal and in need of a spanking.

GBD is firm, non punitive and relationship based.

Munchkingirl 02-08-2006 01:45 PM

Wow, I never even realized there was such a difference. Nor have I heard permissivness summed up so well. I am coming from punitive paenting and fear that I will swing to far to the other side. This has helped me see a little more clearly about what GBD really is. Thank you... :)

joyfulmomof2 08-06-2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchkingirl
Wow, I never even realized there was such a difference. Nor have I heard permissivness summed up so well. I am coming from punitive paenting and fear that I will swing to far to the other side. This has helped me see a little more clearly about what GBD really is. Thank you... :)

Me too.