Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=529)
-   -   Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=199479)

tempus vernum 04-12-2007 12:03 PM

Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL

Here are some nice discussions from the past

What sunscreen do you use for your LE? http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...topic=56656.15
No sunscreen anyone? http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...p?topic=3582.0

I am dismayed to say that my sunscreen that took MONTHS to find that had no parabens, no titanium dioxide CHANGED ingredients.

Alba organic sunscreens now contain parabens :mad :hissyfit We LOVE LOVE LOVE this. Better I guess to say "loved" :rolleyes

SO, I am ordering sunscreen (from Frontier). so far, I think my GOOD choices are kiss my face or avalon organics. But Kiss My Face has a higher SPF (30). ANd the only avalon Frontier seems to carry is baby. That's okay but the spf is only 18. Jasons has titanium dioxide which is a carcinogen. Almost every other natural sunscreen I can find (with the exception of California Baby and Aubrey) have parabens. Can't get California baby or aubrey through frontier.

ANyways, what are your top sunscreen choices? and Why?Or maybe it's better stated "what do you do to keep your skin safe"?

Oh and here is a nice website fromthe LE thread Itgives the safest options for cosmetics :tu http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2..._cat=SKIN+CARE

We
*use sunscreen
*eat lots of yellows greens and oranges (foods to protect skin)
*keep covered or inside during the hottest times of day
*wear hats almost all the time

Proverbs31 04-12-2007 12:26 PM

Re: Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL

glad you brought this up! Avalon is my leftover nonexpired one, but I don't know how good the ingredients are...time to go off to the ewg site again. thanks for the reminder.

we usually avoid peak hours, limit time outside. I think it's healthier to have some unprotected sun exposure (very short times during less intense hours). But occasionally in order to do something more outside for longer or less restricted hours, I use the sunscreen. Dd and I are both very fair-skinned, and my dad has already had a couple of skin cancers. *sigh*

2sunshines 04-12-2007 12:40 PM

Oh, I'll join this annual discussion. :giggle

We don't use sunscreen, unless our skin will be exposed to the sun for a long period of time.

I haven't really looked into more natural sunscreen choices for when we do sunscreen so I'll be watching this thread to see what all you ladies with all the research come up with. :lol

cobluegirl 04-12-2007 03:57 PM

I don't use a lot of it but need to get some new stuff..

I got these links from someone else who is really picky about their sunscreen...haven't looked at them thoroughly yet though.

http://www.pureandsimple.ca/2005/fil...ts/lavera.html
http://www.pureandsimple.ca/2005/fil...uvnatural.html

Herbwifemama 04-12-2007 04:54 PM

I'm going to need to make this decision in the next month, so I'll be watching this thread carefully, and reading the old ones. :)

Oh, and let me say, "St John's Wort Oil"- I know, you think photosensitivity. Let me come back with resources. :)

tempus vernum 04-12-2007 05:06 PM

After readingmore, I am leaning towards avalon organics spf 18 for babies. Just safest I can find reasonably priced so far but still paying attentino to this ;)

RubySlippers 04-12-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobluegirl
I got these links from someone else who is really picky about their sunscreen...haven't looked at them thoroughly yet though.

http://www.pureandsimple.ca/2005/fil...ts/lavera.html
http://www.pureandsimple.ca/2005/fil...uvnatural.html

Wow, that's stuff is expensive! :shifty

Soliloquy 04-12-2007 05:33 PM

:sigh This is a toughie for me. I know we need sunlight to be healthy but Gracie, Simon, & I have such fair skin. And, to really muddy the waters I was just reading some new research and it stated the SPF is only for UVB and it is primarily UVA that causes cancer. Also, UVB is stronger from 10-4 but UVA is just as dangerous in the early/late hours as midday. Also, it is now believed that UVA causes skin cancer by supressing the immune system. Yet another reason to avoid sugar--sugar suppresses the immune system, too.
:sigh
http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/964647970.html
Gracie is asking to nurse (for bed) so I have to go now. I will try to post more links later.

Lady TS 04-12-2007 05:44 PM

I haven't gotten any sunscreen this year yet, but I think Aveeno and Mustela have sunscreen that is supposed to block BOTH UVA and UVB rays.

Although that Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch (spf 55 uva/uvb) is looking mighty enticing with our dripping humid summers. :fan :phew

What about the BullFrog and the Blue Lizard brands? They block uva and uvb as well, but I don't know what to avoid really...

Guess I need to do some more research!

Punkie 04-12-2007 05:53 PM

I was just thinking about our past discussions on here about sunscreens.

This is a tough one for me. Everyone in my family is very fair, although my ds and I do not burn. I joke that I'm so white that I reflect the sun :P If I spend a lot of time outdoors, I become olive-toned, but it takes a LOT of sun. My dd and dh are much more sensitive to the sun and burn easily. My dh can get a burn from sitting in a car, and my dd has burned under a shady tree on a cloudy cold day in February while inside a sling (completely covered)!

We spend a lot of time outdoors year-round, including snow sports which are so risky for sun exposure. Not only is the snow reflecting the sun back at you, but we are usually at an altitude around 12,000 ft., so there is very little natural protection up that high. We have only found one brand that doesn't break my kiddos out in hives, and it is not natural, so I try to use it very sparingly and only if I absolutely must.

I don't know... It is such a tough call. Neither option is perfect. Cancer runs in dh's family, which makes me concerned both for the ingredients and the sun exposure :sigh

SansSouci 04-15-2007 12:24 AM

I'm pretty fair, but fortunately my kids have a bit darker of a complexion (from DH).

I definitely don't use sunscreen on a routine basis. If we're going to be in the sun for a while (ie: at the pool or at the beach, or at a park for an extended amount of time), then I will put sunscreen on us. I use a spray-application one that requires no rubbing - it's the only way I can reach all the places I need it on myself!!! I'm sure it's full of crappy stuff, but hey it works. (I do intend to research this more... but for now it's what keeps the UVA/UVB off me!) For the kids I've always used a baby one, by whichever brand was middle-road in cost. But this summer I intend to buy a more natural and "safe" one for them.

Aisling 04-15-2007 12:33 AM

We wear lightweight sleeves and hats. :shifty Very fair, we are. I hate this dilemma. :sigh

2sunshines 04-15-2007 07:34 AM

Lisa, that's what I read too. Sunscreen may stop your skin from burning, but it does not stop the cancer causing rays from hitting your skin. So actually it is argued that regular sunscreen users may be at higher risk for skin cancer because they have false security that they are being protected when in reality they are not and are therefore exposed to more of the cancer causing rays than someone who uses alternative methods to protect themselves from the sun (clothing, hats, etc).

If it were just a matter of choosing to put chemicals on your skin which will protect you from a further evil, it would be an easier decision.

But in reality, it may be an issue of putting chemicals on your skin and STILL not being protected.

*sigh*

RealLifeMama 04-15-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama

I am dismayed to say that my sunscreen that took MONTHS to find that had no parabens, no titanium dioxide CHANGED ingredients.

. Jasons has titanium dioxide which is a carcinogen. Almost every other natural sunscreen I can find (with the exception of California Baby and Aubrey) have parabens.

:jawdrop
I thought Titanium dioxide was what we wanted! We have been using CA baby and Jasons for years! Our tube of CA Baby has TD in it.

Mothering by Heart 04-15-2007 09:13 AM

We stopped using sunscreen last year after these discussions :giggle We wear longer sleeves and hats.

For swimming, the kids wear rash guards as tops and we avoid swimming when the sun is directly over the pool.

Very rarely will I use the little sunscreen stick on their faces.

2sunshines 04-15-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

the kids wear rash guards as tops
What's this?

Mothering by Heart 04-15-2007 10:25 AM

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/produc...scid=483490012

They are typically worn under wetsuits when surfing.

I find them at Sam's club every year and I have also bought a few at thrift stores.

Rabbit 04-15-2007 10:35 AM

Titanium dioxide is not carcinogenic, except when processed to nanoparticle size. Some sunscreens and cosmetics are made with titanium dioxide processed that fine. Some aren't.

http://www.theorganicmakeupcompany.c...iumdioxide.asp

Herbwifemama 04-15-2007 11:23 AM

Well, dd has never worn sunscreen- last summer when we went to the pool, I had a sun hat on her, and she was in our solarveil water sling. She was out of it for some time, but not long enough to do any damage. (By damage, I mean she didn't even tan, much less burn.)

We definitely don't wear sunscreen on a regular basis here, but we always have whenever we plan to be out in the sunshine for a long period of time- like a water park, or the beach- but I've become more and more convinced that sunscreens may do more harm than good. But the titanium dioxide thing has thrown me for a loop! I knew that parabens were carcinogenic, but I haven't really "researched" it- more of a when in doubt don't kind of thing- so does anyone have any good articles about the dangers of parabens?

And finally, what I use for sun protection- and I haven't actually had the need to be out there long enough to test it yet- is St John's Wort Oil- many people have concerns that it causes photosensitivity, but the only evidence linking SJW with photosensitivity is some cows who grazed on the plant became photosensitive. The OIL, applied TOPICALLY seems to have the opposite effect- it protects against the radiation of the sun.

Here are my (admittedly nonscientific) resources for that:
http://www.susunweed.com/weedforum/v...ight=sunscreen

Pay special attention to the posts by Lady B (a marvelous woman! :))
http://www.susunweed.com/weedforum/v...screen&start=0

http://www.susunweed.com/weedforum/viewtopic.php?t=904

Anyway, I'm using SJW oil for myself, but I'm looking for something for dd for our trip to FL in June- I think we'll be spending enough time at the beach that sunscreen (even with the sun hat and solarveil sling) will be a necessity for us. So, I'm looking for a good sunscreen too.

tempus vernum 04-15-2007 10:29 PM

First I didn't know that UVA being dangerous was NEW research :scratch, we have been using UVA/UVB blocking high SPF sunscreen (the Alba which now may actually BE paraben free - somewebsites may have been misinformed). ANyways, I have known since before kids that you need UVA/UVB blockage. I learned when my BIL got a melanoma removed from his back :scratch.

On the back of our ALBA it says "a broad spectrum UVA and UVB shielf providing high protection against sunburn". Oh and broad spectrum is important too because it blocks many colors on the light spectrum :)

FOr our family, as far as sunscreen usage, we don't have a choice this year. 3 of Luke's chemos cause BAD sunburn. We are talking possiblity of blisters and QUICKLY and honestly at 6 weeks old, ALyssa got sunburnt even when we kept her ONLY in the shade :cry It was crushing to me. She has the complection of a red head. That said, I am hoping that some year we are able to reduce/eliminate? our sunscreen usage. Hopefully that will be next year :rockon. I will say I don't apply sunscreen till we are in the sun because it gives about 15 minutes of absorption and I want them to be exposed to the good things in the sun. Only on heavy chemo weeks does Luke get sunscreened 15 minutes before leaving the house.

As far as titanium dioxide. I have read that it is a carcinogen. But I just googled and it looks similar to the dairy/no dairy, soy/no soy. We all have to look at both sides and "make our choice" :shrug . For my family, having a child that already has cancer, if something is labeled a carginogen by some and not by others, we still avoid it if we can!

milkmommy 04-15-2007 11:15 PM

I don't use sunscreen ( or very rarly) a diet rich in Omega 3 has pretty much allowed me to go suncreen free. that along with jsut my skin tone ect. However DD whos diet isn't the best because of her food and diet issues and being very fair skinned I use Califorina babystuff on her we get it through out local Target store. This is southern AZ heat is intense and pretty much year around. She wont keep a hat on and long sleeves can be torture once the heat comes in. and makes water play hard :giggle I only put it one her if shes pretty much going to be playing in water and I hope as shes grows shes accept a better diet...

Deanna

musicmama 04-19-2007 01:28 PM

While I can tan just looking out a window, Sophia got my husband skin tone and is so pasty white she sometimes looks blue! :giggle

I've been wondering what brand/what to do for her for a while now, so I'm watching this intently. Did you figure anything out, Jodi? :giggle

We're going to the Outer Banks in May and I just plan on keeping her out of the sun, so far. And she does have a little covered float...

tempus vernum 04-20-2007 01:25 PM

Well, we just got our frontier order and MamaMansa and I took a chance and ordered the Alba - it's still paraben free so I have no clue why some websites are showing parabens :scratch

I was thrilled because it's on sale this month :rockon and because I can keep on ordering it

We tried to go sunscreen free earlier this week and it backfired. Luke broke out in a rash around hismouth due to chemo and Alyssa and I burnt on our faces :(. It wasn't even hot. We were outside with hats and long sleeves so our bodies were fine but apparently hats and good diets won't do it for us even during the spring in Wisconsin :td

Soliloquy 04-20-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama
First I didn't know that UVA being dangerous was NEW research :scratch, we have been using UVA/UVB blocking high SPF sunscreen (the Alba which now may actually BE paraben free - somewebsites may have been misinformed). ANyways, I have known since before kids that you need UVA/UVB blockage. I learned when my BIL got a melanoma removed from his back :scratch.

I didn't clarify. The new research showed that broad spectrum sunscreens currently on the market have a gap in their protection in part of the UVA spectrum. Granted, I read this in a study funded by a pharma company that is selling a new sunblock to cover that gap.

cobluegirl 04-20-2007 05:51 PM

we bought Alba last summer...I liked it.

cobluegirl 04-27-2009 03:15 PM

this is old..but bumping for the season.

:bump

malakoa 04-27-2009 03:25 PM

Fish oil fish oil fish oil. I gave some to dd every day in Mexico and forgot sunscreen most days :blush
She never burned.

Herbwifemama 04-27-2009 04:28 PM

:yes I attribute my regular intake of cod liver oil to my not burning last summer. I tanned nicely, when I usually burn then go back to white. (And I mean, *white*!) We haven't been taking it as regularly, and got burned on the first sunny day we were out a lot. I've attempted to up our intake considerably. I should also start with the regular applications of SJW oil again. I started in March last year, and it totally slipped by me this year!

Dana Joy 04-27-2009 04:38 PM

How much fish oil do you take?

tempus vernum 04-27-2009 05:05 PM

:giggle I saw the title of this thread and thought - yay! and then I realized I started it last year :shifty

I agree with fish oil but we still burn sometimes :shrug Not too badly but a little.

I take 1 t to 1 T depending. Older Kids each take 1.5 t :) Still haven't found a fish oil dd2 (youngest will take)

cobluegirl 04-27-2009 05:13 PM

This is actually 2 years old..LOL I thought there was one last year but I couldn't find it...

KatieMae 04-27-2009 05:13 PM

:popcorn

joyful mama 04-27-2009 05:17 PM

my dh and youngest 2 have REALLY sensitive, irish white skin. I"m just about to order Avalon Organics tonight, actually. its reasonable at vitacost.

I have no idea if I could get my kids to take fish oil :think

Herbwifemama 04-27-2009 05:21 PM

I give dd a strawberry flavored gel capsule, it's formulated especially for kids. I think it's Nordic Naturals brand. I've been taking "medicine" longer than dd, so she was excited to be able to have her own "medicine". Let them smell the bottle before they taste it. The taste is mild, but the smell is amazing! :)

TuneMyHeart 04-27-2009 05:25 PM

Ellie loves fish oil. :shifty She's taken the Nordic Naturals strawberry oil and Carlson's lemon flavor with no problem.

Anyone familiar with Soleo?

GodChick 04-27-2009 05:31 PM

Another Alba lover here. :heart (Although this year, we can't afford it, so we are using cheapie Coppertone sunblock. :shrug3 ) The sun here is brutal, and I am a redhead with the complexion that goes with it. My kids didn't get my red hair, but they got my porcelain (I like that word better than pasty, har!) skin and we will literally burn within 10 minutes of being in the sun. It is so hot here (over 100 in the summer), that there is no way we can rely on clothing coverage to keep us protected, so the options for us really are using sunscreen or burning. :shrug3 (We will burn before 10am and after 5pm, too, and will burn in the shade. I have also worn a white T-shirt over my swimming suit while swimming and burned right through it. :doh )

I am interested in learning more about the St.JW oil, though. I hadn't heard of that. I do take CLO, but I have yet to find one my kids will take. ;)

TrinMama 04-27-2009 05:50 PM

any links to info on the fish oil? DH is a skeptic.

FaithfilledGranolaChick 04-27-2009 06:31 PM

subbing

last year we used Alba and I have been trying to take the time to figure out what we are going to use this year (we are in Fl and out in the sun a lot)

tempus vernum 04-27-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herbwifemama
I give dd a strawberry flavored gel capsule, it's formulated especially for kids. I think it's Nordic Naturals brand. I've been taking "medicine" longer than dd, so she was excited to be able to have her own "medicine". Let them smell the bottle before they taste it. The taste is mild, but the smell is amazing! :)

We've tried Nordic natural strawberry and carlson's lemon. We've tried the chewables, we've tried the liquid :doh

My other kids loved their "cherry medicine" :shrug but this child is WAY too texture sensitive to eat every kind we try :sigh The funny is that the other kids finish up the stuff that I buy her to try :doh Thankfully, she LOVES chewable greens which also help protect your skin ;)

I am patiently waiting until I can teach her to swallow pills and get her started on the little capsules soon ;) . gonna start this summer as we taught Luke at 3.5 :grin

joyful mama 04-27-2009 08:30 PM

wow, swallowing capsules at 3.5!!!

well, i just ordered the strawberry ones from nordic naturals... we'll see. its hot and cold what they will take :shrug3