Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Co sleeping in the Bible (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=136228)

ArmsOfLove 12-02-2008 10:20 PM

Re: Co sleeping in the Bible

Quote:

Originally Posted by Englishgirl
I think I read somewhere that Ezzo uses the verse about Solomon as an argument against co-sleeping. That's so not the point of the story! More babies die in cots right? He also I think uses the fact that Jesus slept in a manger! Honestly I don't think the bible tells us where our babies should sleep but I think it assumes co-sleeping because that was the cultural norm. It certainly doesn't say that co-sleeping is wrong.

the manger in the Sukkah was not like the feedbox you see in nativities, though. It was a big hay bed for the animals and Mary would have been sleeping with him :heart

pastelsummer 12-02-2008 10:31 PM

oh yes I love the references in the bible to co-sleeping and breastfeeding! My dd sleeps by herself most of the night she always has but the first time she cries she sleep the rest of the night with us! Or if she is sick she just sleeps with us all night! ANd I love it!!

IslandHome 12-03-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
the manger in the Sukkah was not like the feedbox you see in nativities, though. It was a big hay bed for the animals and Mary would have been sleeping with him :heart

Thanks for explaining that! I had always wondered about the 'manger' thing.

We read the passage in Luke in church a few weeks back and DH and me felt like standing up and saying 'hey, see that, it even says it in the bible' because we're kind of sick of the looks we get when we say DS sleeps with us.

momyshaver 01-23-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
Quote:

Originally Posted by Englishgirl
I think I read somewhere that Ezzo uses the verse about Solomon as an argument against co-sleeping. That's so not the point of the story! More babies die in cots right? He also I think uses the fact that Jesus slept in a manger! Honestly I don't think the bible tells us where our babies should sleep but I think it assumes co-sleeping because that was the cultural norm. It certainly doesn't say that co-sleeping is wrong.

Wow, I had never read that before. That is so cool; thanks for sharing.

littlelady 03-06-2009 09:36 PM

Love this....the Jewish prayer posted earlier is beautiful and I like the info about the manger...all great info to have. We bed share with both of our children. One of my favorite times of the day is watching them peacefully fall asleep.

Herbwifemama 03-06-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah
Prayer from my Jewish prayer book: (of ancient origin)
A prayer for when the new mother leaves the birthing bed: "May it be You will, Adonai, my God and the God of my forefathers, that You prepare sustenance for Your servant, this infant, with an abundance of milk - his requirement, whatever he may lack. Place in my heart the [correct] time to nurse him in order to give him what he needs. Lighten my sleep so that when he cries, You may open my ears so that I hear him immediately. Rescue me - that my hand not fall onto him while sleeping, and he die, Heaven forbid."

Breastfeeding and sleeping sharing is assumed. It is a request that God make the mother a responsive mother.

I LOVE that. It's so similar to my early prayers as a mother! :heart

Maggie 03-07-2009 02:47 AM

Yes, that prayer is so beautiful! :happytears :heart

Also very interesting info about the manger!

boobymummy 04-17-2009 04:10 AM

Just thought I would say that the other mum presumed that the baby was overlaid but who's to say there wasn't some other cause of death? This is an argument I have heard before. Maybe the baby died while she was 'entertaining' a man (that was their job wasn't it?) I made a christmas cake the other year with a little mary, joseph and jesus all lying down together and mary had big boobs coz she was breastfeeding :yes Some might have thought it was sacreligious, but I wanted to make it authentic :giggle and that was before I was even a mum!

7swansaswimming 09-05-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelsea (Post 303944)
1Ki 3:19-21 "And this woman's child died in the night; because she overlaid it.-
And she arose at midnight, and took my son from beside me, while thine handmaid slept, and laid it in her bosom, and laid her dead child in my bosom.-
And when I rose in the morning to give my child suck, behold, it was dead: but when I had considered it in the morning, behold, it was not my son, which I did bear."
Yep, the Bible definitely addresses everything!- :tu

This is fabulous, I never noticed either of these scriptures! I cannot wait to write them down and pass them on! How exciting!

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseymama (Post 1082760)
Gid really does have a great plan for everything, doesn't he!! I always want to ask women who say "oh breastfeeding NEVER works, it is just too hard for women to really do" think people used to make it! One of my favorite shirts is "Jesus was breastfed"

First let me say that I completely agree with you, breastfeeding is the way to go. HOwever, people did do other things...if breastfeeding didn't work for a mom they would have a friend feed their child. Some women cannot produce milk at all or enough for their child. Other times babies would die if they could not tolerate the milk. My first child was milk protein intolerant. He couldnt digest any milk protein, human, cow, goat etc. We had to give him a formula that had the proteins broken down to amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) it was very expensive and very crushing to me to realize that I could not provide for him in the natural way. However, if I didn't do the alternative he would not have made it. I love that shirt idea though that is great!

Fia 09-11-2009 09:23 PM

I like this thread. :D

momofsuper6 10-16-2009 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne (Post 228487)
Thank you! I may send that to my sister, who thinks cosleeping is sinful. :rolleyes

does she say why she thinks it is sinful? :D

mamaeffie 10-25-2010 06:24 AM

cool! i really enjoyed reading that sweet prayer :)

blessedmommy3 12-27-2010 03:11 PM

This verse is one of the many reasons that the Bible is the ultimate parenting book :

alexas 01-26-2011 08:39 AM

that prayer is so beautiful! I will definitely be sharing that!

I have often said that somehow I doubt that Jesus was in a crib in another room while Mary and Joseph slept peacefully through the night!

PinkPearlGirl 08-28-2011 11:46 AM

I love that. I've never noticed that verse before in regards to co-sleeping.

Zhannah 10-30-2011 10:37 PM

i was surprised to read the title of your post. Never thought there is anything about co-sleeping int he Word. Thank you for letting us see that!!!

iwillhope 06-23-2012 12:17 PM

it's also interesting that Luke was a doctor.

Fallin2Grace 07-16-2012 04:22 PM

oh this is so neat! I never noticed it before either. Thanks for sharing!

On Fire 01-01-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather Micaela (Post 345882)
but the mom of the other baby co-slept too and her baby was fine :)

Good point and there are always exceptions and circumstances surrounding infant death that we don't always know about. During Coronial investigations it's sometimes found for example that the Mum of the infant who died was under the influence of a chemical/been smoking etc. Who knows if the Mum in the Bible whose baby sadly died had been drinking or something?

Very sad either way.

GamGam007 01-29-2013 11:19 PM

Wow! It's really neat to know that it is in the Bible. I'll have to remember that one, for all of the naysayers in my life.:giggle

iwillhope 02-18-2013 12:05 AM

love this thread.

are all Jewish prayer books created equal? I want one like hers. (ataluh?)

rockstar_monkey 05-07-2013 10:07 PM

That's so cool! I've never even noticed, thank you for sharing!

Calitillman 12-29-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

1Ki 3:19-21 "And this woman's child died in the night; because she overlaid it.
And she arose at midnight, and took my son from beside me, while thine handmaid slept, and laid it in her bosom, and laid her dead child in my bosom.
And when I rose in the morning to give my child suck, behold, it was dead: but when I had considered it in the morning, behold, it was not my son, which I did bear."
Yep, the Bible definitely addresses everything! :tu

It is a slight fear of mine that I'll roll over or my husband would roll over and accidentally hurt our baby.
I do feel, though, that God puts it in our hearts the right thing to do in any and every situation. We just have to listen. It bothers me when people will say that you shouldn't follow your feelings because your heart isn't always right, but doesn't God dwell in our hearts after we've been born again?

I couldn't imagine making me and the baby sleep seperately at night. I haven't had any children yet, nor am I pregnant, but I already desire to hold a baby in my arms as I fall asleep.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Calitillman 12-29-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourbygrace (Post 900513)
Great verses! Thanks for everyone who shared!

About the breastfeeding being sinful, how do these people think Jesus (or anyone in the Bible) survived? Did Mary use Simalac? :giggle

I would imagine they'd use an animal's milk.

Hermana Linda 12-29-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

1Ki 3:19-21 "And this woman's child died in the night; because she overlaid it.
And she arose at midnight, and took my son from beside me, while thine handmaid slept, and laid it in her bosom, and laid her dead child in my bosom.
Yep, the Bible definitely addresses everything! :tu

The Bible does not say that she overlaid the baby. It quotes the woman as saying that she overlaid the baby. The baby probably died of SIDS which people used to assume meant that the baby was overlaid for all the years up until cribs at which time they named it, "crib death."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calitillman (Post 5596214)
It is a slight fear of mine that I'll roll over or my husband would roll over and accidentally hurt our baby.
I do feel, though, that God puts it in our hearts the right thing to do in any and every situation. We just have to listen. It bothers me when people will say that you shouldn't follow your feelings because your heart isn't always right, but doesn't God dwell in our hearts after we've been born again?

I couldn't imagine making me and the baby sleep seperately at night. I haven't had any children yet, nor am I pregnant, but I already desire to hold a baby in my arms as I fall asleep.

That is a common fear, but truthfully, it is almost unheard of for a non-intoxicated to sleep soundly enough with a baby to hurt him or her. Here is some very helpful info about co-sleeping from the wonderful Dr. Sears.

ShowersofBlessings 12-29-2013 11:19 PM

Regarding the story about King Solomon, I assumed that maybe the mother of the dead child was drunk and the mother did roll over on him. The other mother slept with her baby and the baby was fine.

skim 02-24-2014 11:32 AM

It is cool to see that co-sleeping is in the Bible. We co-sleep with our 5 month old. :)

Just wanted to point out, though, in case others haven't already thought about this... Just because it is mentioned in the Bible, doesn't mean it is a moral issue. Most likely it is simply reflecting the culture of the times. Many cultures around the world have practiced and some still practice co-sleeping (as did my husband's family who are from Korea). Let's remember that the Bible wasn't written in present day North America (where the mention of co-sleeping would be fairly impressive) but rather in a land and time far removed from ours (where co-sleeping was probably the norm).

All that being said, I love co-sleeping and it's fun to see it mentioned in the Bible. :)

Calitillman 02-24-2014 07:24 PM

I feel that North America should really go back to practicing some of the things that they observed in previous days.

mrskellyray 10-19-2014 03:42 PM

Oh wow. That's awesome! I'll start quoting scripture the next time people want me to get up early! It's fun seeing the kids come first in this biblical quotation too!

MayzieMcgrew 03-12-2018 06:11 AM

This thread makes me happy :)!

Isabelle 10-02-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons (Post 226896)
I thought this was cool. I don't know if it's been posted before.

Luke 11:5-7

5Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, 6because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'

7"Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.'

Thanks!

Blurtles 07-19-2021 05:45 PM

Love this! Thank you for sharing! 💖