Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   A Curriculum About the Bible: Not a Reading Plan (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526961)

bananacake 04-08-2019 07:00 AM

A Curriculum About the Bible: Not a Reading Plan

And not a children's Bible.

I'm looking for a curriculum that teaches about the Bible: the types of books in it, how it was formed, why it's reliable, etc. My kids are 11 1/2 and 9 currently (the ones being schooled :)).

heartofjoy 04-08-2019 07:29 AM

Re: A Curriculum About the Bible: Not a Reading Plan

I really love the What's in the Bible DVDs! They are awesome! My kids enjoyed them even at older ages. They are done by the veggie tales people and have a mix of cartoon and puppet shots with songs and are surprisingly deep and really get into theology. I learned stuff!

The Tickle Momster 04-08-2019 07:32 AM

I'll second What's in the Bible.

There is also Bible Road Trip. It's a 3 year cycle type curriculum. Very thorough. It was a bit overwhelming for me.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

knitlove 04-08-2019 07:40 AM

I have two text books that I used in freaheman Bible in collage, but I totally think they are simple enough for the ages of your kids especially if you go though them with them. I will grab the titles and see if they are available. I really love them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 04-08-2019 08:15 AM

God's Great Covenant from Classical Academic Press is good. It's a survey course. The New Testament volumes are written for a slightly older audience and contain more reference material. We only use the Teacher's Manual, not the workbooks (too much paperwork for us; we have plenty of other things to do every day.) BUT the Teacher's Manuals have great extra material for background and reference. They are also photocopies of the student texts, so I do the questions and written activities out loud.

I have several source books about biblical times as well for geography, customs, etc.

Tasmanian Saint 04-08-2019 12:47 PM

Context For Kids by Tyler Dawn Rosenquist is not quite what you described, but is fantastic for, well, teaching Bible context :giggle. The author is Messianic but as she is intent on teaching 'context, not doctrine' that doesn't make it inappropriate for non-Messianics. My non-messianic dh didn't even have a problem with the kosher food Torah portion video (but YMMV, of course). There's a YouTube channel and a series of four 10-week curriculum books (so far. She did once mention a plan for 10, but she's been having health issues so we'll see).
Examples:
This is her video about why we can be confident that Jesus the Messiah (takes a different tack than usual): https://youtu.be/DcUSZre4rqI
This explains what context is and why it's important: https://youtu.be/Znd76KmYiwM
(She gets a bit long-winded in her videos. The written curriculum is much crisper)

knitlove 04-08-2019 12:56 PM

These are the books I have. They are published by Baker Bookshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4cfc63e90e.jpg

Katigre 04-08-2019 01:34 PM

This is a YouTube series that has been going for several years covering this:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jointhebibleproject

Soliloquy 04-08-2019 01:58 PM

:cup because I'm interested

I have "How to Read the Bible Book by Book" by Fee and Stuart. It's written for adults but I read it at night and then summarize with my kids. But I'd love to find something more like what you described.

My eldest is taking a course on the New Testament through Monarch. I've only glanced at it, though, to check for any obvious doctrinal bias. It looks pretty dry, tbh, but she says she likes it.

knitlove 04-08-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6176976)
:cup because I'm interested

I have "How to Read the Bible Book by Book" by Fee and Stuart. It's written for adults but I read it at night and then summarize with my kids. But I'd love to find something more like what you described.

My eldest is taking a course on the New Testament through Monarch. I've only glanced at it, though, to check for any obvious doctrinal bias. It looks pretty dry, tbh, but she says she likes it.

I love the how to read the Bible book. I need to read it again and figer out when I hand it to early bird.

BestLaidPlans 04-08-2019 04:49 PM

Subbing for links

bananacake 04-12-2019 01:27 PM

We don't do any on-line educating. So I prefer printed resources.

Soliloquy 04-12-2019 11:02 PM

Anything on Monarch is available in book form under the brand Lifepac. I don't think it's what you're looking for, though. They have New Testament Survey and Old Testament Survey for high school. But the younger grades don't look like what you want.

I'm really curious if there's something like that out there. I've looked a little and haven't found anything, really.

You should write one!

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

This isn't exactly what you'rel looking for but we've read More Than a Carpenter and The Case for Christ with our kids. There's also a kid version of The Case for Christ. I think an 11 yo might find it too young, though, depending.

heartofjoy 04-14-2019 03:21 PM

This book goes through the Bible, explaining each book in order, the history of the times, etc. It has questions and activities at the end of each chapter. I think there are around 36-42 chapters. We enjoyed it. The activities include research, looking up scriptures, making charts, and other things like that.

Soliloquy 04-15-2019 09:57 AM

That looks really good!