Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   Come Discuss Living Math (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=424572)

tigerlily 09-26-2011 06:17 PM

Re: Come Discuss Living Math

Okay followers -- if you're still reading this, what should I try?

Should I go with SonshineMama's suggestion and wing it.:nails

Or bite the bullet and try the lessons plans.

If I wing it, does anyone have a suggestion what book I should invest my $20 in for our home library?

tempus vernum 09-26-2011 08:45 PM

Me again, no advice :shifty because I think you should pray about it BUT if you wing it, I would buy both Ruth Beechik's 3 R's $9.60 and Games for Math $11.40 (AMAZON PRICES ;) ). .

Serendipity 09-26-2011 08:51 PM

Not read the entire read but I'm really digging the early reader book list, thanks for the post.

tigerlily 09-26-2011 08:56 PM

I've already got the 3Rs and I'm reserving the other one at the library...along with about 10 other books I thought I might cut the girls' teeth on. :shifty

Codi 09-26-2011 09:12 PM

Jodi, awesome info. :rockon Your posts made me really want to dig deeper into that site and use it. :rockon We are doing more delight driven, random math stuff right now with ds. (kindy age)

Robin, are you looking for something for all of your kids, or just the 6 year old? I may not be personally comfortable winging it with a 10 year old, but definitely for my 6 year old. :yes I guess it depends on where they are at in math though. :)

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Oh and another math game/book suggestion is Family Math. :) I just got that from a friend and plan on doing lots of that stuff with ds this year too.

tigerlily 09-26-2011 09:26 PM

Codi -- my oldest is 6 -- 1st grade, so no big worries yet.

And I have Family Math, but have barely cracked it open.:O I'll get to that sooner, now.

Codi 09-26-2011 09:29 PM

:doh I saw the 10 years in your sig above the 6yo and thought at was another dc. I see it correctly now. :giggle

JJsMom 09-27-2011 09:30 PM

Thank you do much for this thread. It really has me rethinking my approach to math. I talked to my dh about it tonight and I really want to make some changes. Thank you!

tigerlily 09-28-2011 09:32 AM

So, I already am finding myself just pointing out more things that naturally have to do with math after reading, reading, reading at that website.

I also went crazy with my (now free) library reserve and got a bunch of books.

Today we sat on the couch with a book "The Penny Pot" and a whiteboard and marker. I wanted to make sure Lucy knew how to do tally marks, so as people put their extra pennies in the penny pot, she wrote down in tally marks how many they put in. Turns out she's seen it before and she did great at it!

There are several activities in the book for further math learning -- we'll probably try more of those, too.

Yesterday, I was able to practice estimation w/ her after reading a story about buns in her easy reader -- I asked her to guess how many buns would fill up a basket nearby. We subtracted how much gas had gone down from the day before in the car. I know there were a few other things I managed to sneak in, too.

So far I love this! We'll see how it keeps up.

tempus vernum 09-28-2011 03:31 PM

SOmetimes a break from what you are currently doing is all it takes to rejuvenate your HS :heart

Glad it's going well :tu

Love_Is_Patient 10-01-2011 01:21 AM

I'll probably have to buy any living math readers I use--if you had to recommend 4-5 of the best ones you've used for early elementary (1st-3rd grade), which would you pick?

HomeWithMyBabies 10-15-2011 07:32 AM

:popcorn

tempus vernum 10-18-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love_Is_Patient (Post 4192619)
I'll probably have to buy any living math readers I use--if you had to recommend 4-5 of the best ones you've used for early elementary (1st-3rd grade), which would you pick?

Mutsumaso ANna has been our hands down favorite.

We have a great library system and I have 2 librarians that make recommendations for us -- 2 different locations. One might call us library addicts :shifty. They often call them "concept" books and they let us know when new ones are available :rockon