Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   My dd will never take "advanced math" (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526003)

milkmommy 08-31-2018 12:16 AM

My dd will never take "advanced math"

Honestly I have doubts she'll complete an Algebra course before she is 18..
She has EXTREME math anxiety so honestly its really hard even to test her. Right now she is taking what is essentially a remedial HS math. Its going back to basics taught at a 5th grade level. Were hoping that she can build up confidence as well as maybe filling in holes or gaps in her Journey.
Maybe she will and then suddenly soar ahead but I'm not holding my breath. So how does a "diploma" work in cases like this? I'm hoping maybe to get her up to or through a pre Algebra level, she also at some point take a Finance course..
Her week math skills will also affect her sciences. SHE has passed a Physical Science course and it taking Biology but then what? I dont think she could handle like a Chemistry with her math skills.

We are in Arizona if it matters any.

mamacat 08-31-2018 05:34 AM

Re: My dd will never take "advanced math"

My dd did not even take Algebra in high school. All practical maths and she has done just fine without the higher ones. At age 19 was made a manager at her place of employment and involves having to use math for sure - ordering and balancing the cash "drawer" when she closes . She is also stellar at her personal banking.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

That basic math sounds very wise and wanted to add that mine did fine with science . Tho not a big science person either she found it interesting . We did not do a super high level of chemistry. She learned the basic elements and while she was doing chemistry I would find interesting chemistry facts and trivia and print them out and she enjoyed those. She has to be able to relate math to life. Hope this encourages you! besides the management job at a gourmet deli, she is a gifted photographer and videographer and gets paid very well for that. Would help dd to know and pursue her gifts and passions

knitlove 08-31-2018 06:05 AM

In the state of Vermont kids can graduate high school neaver having taken algebra, only a consumer math course.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mamacat 08-31-2018 06:16 AM

We used some of the Eveyday Math skils workbooks here https://www.nwtliteracy.ca/resources...adult-literacy

Singingmom 08-31-2018 06:43 AM

I've been interested to see how a friend of my dd's in public school is taking remedial math classes along with honors history and English (though they don't use the word remedial these days). She was not successful in elementary school math, so when she started middle school she was tracked into the lower math classes. She got a grade of 100 in math last year, so she is succeeding and learning, but I don't know if she'll ever do higher math. I do know she'll graduate and be set to apply for college. This is the math she's doing ..https://ncvps.org/nc-math-1-intervention (I think they must mean "bridge" instead of "barrier" in the first sentence.)

All that to say, if public schools can accommodate struggling learners like this, so can you, and without guilt or worry.

knitlove 08-31-2018 06:51 AM

My other comment on this that does seem contradictory to my earlyer one is this. I hated math bearly scraped by all though highschool, I was in honors classes but was bearly making it and hated every minute. and then I got to calculus,and everything changed. Suddenly it made sense I could do that ( I still couldn't factor equations and would make all sorts of mistakes in the algribra) but Cal was fun. When I got to collage I got to take theoretical dirfrental equations and statistics and they were a blast. I very much think that math is completely separate from arithmetic. I hate arithmatic wiggle worm is faster a a lot of it than I am and she hasn't ever studdies it she just does it for fun, but math math is fun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ValiantJoy07 08-31-2018 07:10 AM

I took Algebra 1 three years in a row :shifty 8th (when I started at school from homeschooling k-7, the teacher was very nice but her way of teaching the material was so so different from how I had learned things I was completely lost).
In 9th (very nice person, but horrible teacher. She graded homework on a quiz level and though I went to tutoring with her and was gaining ground I couldn't pass as I didn't test well. So on top of mistakes in homework my failing tests meant that school year was awash).
In 10th I finally had a teacher who wouldn't let me fail, I tutored with her daily and came out with a solid B most of the year.
I took geometry in 11th (same teacher, did ok with tutoring) and business math my senior year.
I had major anxiety about math and testing was just a nightmare, even if I knew the formulas and proper steps I would second guess my answers. :doh

I would focus on having good life skills, and rooting the basics in business math. I use that math all.the.time. and rarely have I needed algebra. :)

milkmommy 08-31-2018 07:42 AM

Thanks all. I'm fine with her needing to work at where she is. I was more wondering like how that worked as far as issuing her a diploma. Like what if anything is required.

Katigre 08-31-2018 08:29 AM

Have you seen this article on algebra? I think it will encourage you.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-huge-problem/

mamacat 08-31-2018 08:41 AM

You are the one who issues a homeschool diploma. You get to decide!

graciousmomma 08-31-2018 10:16 AM

You do get to decide, however, if she has plans on going to college, you may want to look at entrance requirements for the schools she might want to go to.

FlyingBlueKiwi 08-31-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 6154500)
Thanks all. I'm fine with her needing to work at where she is. I was more wondering like how that worked as far as issuing her a diploma. Like what if anything is required.

You may be ok with it, but lacking certain math courses effectively makes about 75% of well paying careers out of her reach. It could greatly impact her future.

What does the high school have to say about this, or is she HSing?

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacat (Post 6154512)
You are the one who issues a homeschool diploma. You get to decide!

However, this means nothing if it keeps her out of well paying careers. :(

mamacat 08-31-2018 11:02 AM

Not all kids are ABLE to take higher maths . I agree with what Singingmom said: All that to say, if public schools can accommodate struggling learners like this, so can you, and without guilt or worry. Theirs will be a different path.

Katigre 08-31-2018 11:02 AM

Here is AZ's high school graduation requirements:
http://www.azed.gov/adeinfo/hsgrad/

She needs 4 credits of math, though you can modify the personal curriculum down to 3. Algebra 1 is required but Algebra II is flexible if you use the personal curriculum option.

mamacat 08-31-2018 11:23 AM

But if a child has LD of any kind accomodations are made. Not all kids can meet the requirements