Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Can I still use the wilted, sad looking kale? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=412497)

NewLeaf 06-10-2011 03:04 PM

Can I still use the wilted, sad looking kale?

I'm annoyed that a lot of my veggies aren't lasting very long. :-/

I was going to make kale tonight. It's wilted a bit and the edges are turning yellow and quite yellow in spots.

Would it still taste okay? It's not poisonous is it? :shifty

And do not tell me 'of course it will taste bad and kill you because kale is gross!'. :lol

I really wanted kale tonight but I'm not wasting my time if it's going to be bad!

racheepoo 06-10-2011 03:05 PM

Re: Can I still use the wilted, sad looking kale?

It probably won't taste AS good but I don't see why you couldn't still use it. I do that all the time in soups and stocks b/c I never remember to use veggies in time :shifty

Macky 06-10-2011 03:28 PM

I don't like kale, but we do eat spinach. As long as it's still got some crispness to it, I would tear off the bad bits and use it in a cooked dish, but not something like a salad. If it was wilted completely, I'd throw it in the compost. Try tearing off the bad bits and giving it a soak in some cold water. That crisps up garden lettuce if you've harvested it in the middle of the afternoon when it's hot, which wilts it somewhat. :)

How are you storing your veggies? They each have different needs for storage (humidity, temp, etc.).

NewLeaf 06-10-2011 03:57 PM

I saw a couple of sites that say it can mean it's been infected but it sounds like it happens while growing and starts from the stem up?

Ugh. It seriously crimps dinner prep to have to read some research article before you can cook and then to walk away not sure if the plant rot applies to your situation (and if eating plant rot is really bad for you or not. :shifty)

I'm thinking this is just 'didn't eat it quick enough' yellow and not 'infected' yellow?

cbmk4 06-10-2011 05:37 PM

I use kale and chard when they are wilted. They only wilt more when cooked or pureed in a smoothie anyway. I'd never use them if they turned slimey, however.

NeshamaMama 06-10-2011 05:55 PM

I am the queen of using mushy produce :shifty Soft potatoes? Chuck 'em in a soup. Flaccid celery? Toss it in my chicken stock! Onions that start sprouting? Eh, you're going to chop them up anyway. Sad looking, half-eaten bananas? They occur often here and I purposely save them for a big batch of banana bread. Soggy/half-shriveled fruit goes into smoothies, bruised apples become crockpot applesauce, and yes, wilted kale would most certainly be cooked and eaten here. If you didn't get that already :giggle

I just can't bear to see fruits and veggies go to waste! Last time I was at my dad's I stopped him from throwing away some very sad looking celery ( :jawdrop "WAIT! I use that in stock!!! I'll take it home!") and he looked at me like I was crazy. :shrug :lol Most things will still taste good when cooked properly, and as long it's not slimy or seriously ROTTED (and rotted does not mean a few spots here and there :snooty) then into our dinner it goes!

Zooey 06-10-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilik (Post 3962541)
I am the queen of using mushy produce :shifty Soft potatoes? Chuck 'em in a soup. Flaccid celery? Toss it in my chicken stock! Onions that start sprouting? Eh, you're going to chop them up anyway. Sad looking, half-eaten bananas? They occur often here and I purposely save them for a big batch of banana bread. Soggy/half-shriveled fruit goes into smoothies, bruised apples become crockpot applesauce, and yes, wilted kale would most certainly be cooked and eaten here. If you didn't get that already :giggle

I just can't bear to see fruits and veggies go to waste! Last time I was at my dad's I stopped him from throwing away some very sad looking celery ( :jawdrop "WAIT! I use that in stock!!! I'll take it home!") and he looked at me like I was crazy. :shrug :lol Most things will still taste good when cooked properly, and as long it's not slimy or seriously ROTTED (and rotted does not mean a few spots here and there :snooty) then into our dinner it goes!

This.
Not slimy=edible.
Especially since kale is going to be cooked, which is going to wilt it anyhow.
It defintely is not dangerous in any way. Nor gross either. (I :love:love kale!!):thumbsup:thumbsup

Macky 06-10-2011 07:10 PM

Bacterial wilts do happen in the field, but the plant never recovers – certainly not enough to be saleable. I'm sure when you bought it it wasn't wilted. A plant infected with wilt will show it right away in the field, not later at your table. You're good to go. :)

mellifera 06-10-2011 07:27 PM

How does it smell? :shifty When kale gets old it starts to smell funky. As long as it doesn't stink, I would use it. :giggle

passthemanna 06-10-2011 07:54 PM

thanks for reminding me i bought kale!

NewLeaf 06-12-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirited Duo (Post 3962352)
How are you storing your veggies? They each have different needs for storage (humidity, temp, etc.).

i throw them into the fridge?:shifty
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirited Duo (Post 3962697)
Bacterial wilts do happen in the field, but the plant never recovers – certainly not enough to be saleable. I'm sure when you bought it it wasn't wilted. A plant infected with wilt will show it right away in the field, not later at your table. You're good to go. :)

this was my thinking. :yes

so would you all cut off the yellow or eat it?

i ended up running to buy more because there was so much yellow it wasn't worth the trouble to me. and i wanted A LOT of kale. :yum