Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Beverages *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=545)
-   -   non-dairy creamer? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=424198)

blessedmamaofmany 09-21-2011 06:13 AM

non-dairy creamer?

K. So I am currently drinking Coffeemate...which is yum, but scary if you look at the ingredients :shifty

I find lots of homemade creamer recipes calling for heavy cream and whatnot (YUM)...but I'm dairy free for baby.

Trying to figure a substitute. The heavy cream makes it thick...using just almond/soy milk isn't going to be as thick as a heavy cream would.

Is there a non-dairy version of heavy cream?

musicmama 09-21-2011 06:25 AM

Re: non-dairy creamer?

I'm not sure about a non-dairy heavy cream sub, but I dislike ALL milk subs. But i LOVE LOVE LOVE the So Delicious coconut milk creamer! They even have a french vanilla option if you're so inclined. It is thick, delicious and not very expensive :hearts

HomeWithMyBabies 09-21-2011 06:30 AM

I had no idea they made a coconut milk creamer! :jawdrop

This morning I had some horchata in my coffee. Not bad.

TuneMyHeart 09-21-2011 06:38 AM

so delicious :yes

backtobasicsmum 09-21-2011 06:40 AM

I just use plain ol' coconut milk. :yum

RealLifeMama 09-21-2011 06:40 AM

First of all, Coffeemate is not non-dairy. It has casein in it. Is your baby OK with it? If so, you might not have to avoid the heavy cream anyway.
Wouldn't that be nice?

I use Silk creamer, and Coffee Rich, both of which have scary ingredients, but they are truly dairy free. For the little amount I use, I am not worried about the soy and the trans fats.

blessedmamaofmany 09-21-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealLifeMama (Post 4173879)
First of all, Coffeemate is not non-dairy. It has casein in it. Is your baby OK with it? If so, you might not have to avoid the heavy cream anyway.
Wouldn't that be nice?

I use Silk creamer, and Coffee Rich, both of which have scary ingredients, but they are truly dairy free. For the little amount I use, I am not worried about the soy and the trans fats.

Really?? Well crap, that explains why my efforts at dairy free haven't done much yet. LOL. I drink A LOT of coffee. :shifty

Hmm. I'm going to have to go shopping around. Walmart doesn't have anything for alternatives.

HomeWithMyBabies 09-21-2011 06:46 AM

Just checked my grocery online and they have the so delicious. :dance

rjy9343 09-21-2011 06:50 AM

If you look in the ethnic foods section, you should be able to find canned coconut milk. You'll need to shake it before you open it because it separates. It is really rich and thick so a little will do you and is it good. I like it better than half and half.

musicmama 09-21-2011 07:06 AM

I find regular canned coconut milk makes my coffee....greasy? :giggle

Do you have a Kroger where you are? That's where I find all my So Delicious products :) I'm sure they have them at Whole Foods, too! My mom gets the ice cream there, so I know they carry the product lne.

tiffany 09-21-2011 07:07 AM

yep. it's not dairy-free. Look carefully at labels! Casein is hiding in tons-o-stuff. :-/

I haven't found anything I like as well as creamer so I've given up most of my coffee. :( Occasionally, I'll drink it with cream anyway, but I try not to do that often.

I can't find the So Delicious Coconut Creamer. I'm not big on the coconut milk but love the coconut ice cream so I'd like to try the creamer to see.

musicmama 09-21-2011 09:29 AM

it's definitely worth the $2 to try it. I almost didn't because I'd rather not drink coffee than drink it without half and half, but it's a seriously good substitute (not watery). You should be able to find it in the natural foods section at Kroger :)

Six Little Feet 09-21-2011 09:36 AM

Rich's Coffee Rich is very good.

Strumbelina 09-21-2011 10:31 AM

I just got the coconut So Delicious creamer yesterday. Had my first cup of coffee with it today. It's pretty good! I got the Hazelnut flavor and it's OK, but it has a bit of an unnatural sweetener taste to it. :scratch

I think next time I will just get the plain version. Or, I might just try regular coconut milk. :yes

RiverRock 09-21-2011 10:38 AM

TJs has a house brand that I like.