Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   5th Grade Math ?? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525376)

JoyGal 05-17-2018 05:14 PM

5th Grade Math ??

I am so torn on which program to use for 5th Grade! It seems like every curriculum has a different set of skills to master.

I was going to go with Master Books Lessons for a Living Education. But now I’m thinking it won’t be challenging and preparatory enough. Saxon 76 is recommended from Veritas Press. Waldorf says concentrate on geometry. I’m completely confused on Right Start. Teaching Textbooks looks good.

Dd May try public middle school next year so I’m wanting her prepared for that at least.

Help!

Love_Is_Patient 05-17-2018 05:32 PM

Re: 5th Grade Math ??

What math has she done so far? I'd have her take placement test for a few programs. Saxon 7/6 would be quite advanced for 5th grade. Horizons has more color and it sometimes recommended over Saxon while still being a spiral curriculum with built in review.

JoyGal 05-17-2018 05:43 PM

I just printed the Saxon placement test.

She has finished Singapore 4B and is working on Fraction Concepts by Steven Rasmussen for fun now. She wants to school over the summer and take time off in the winter, so I’m working hard at getting everything ready!

Lady Grey 05-17-2018 05:51 PM

Do you not want to do Singapore level 5? FWIW we use Singapore and my oldest didn't have any math transition issues at all during the year she went to ps.

Love_Is_Patient 05-17-2018 06:01 PM

Sounds like she's doing great. Any reason you don't want to continue with Singapore?

JoyGal 05-17-2018 06:10 PM

I thought that there wasn’t enough taught in fractions and decimals during level 4. The program has been fine, but she didn’t alway enjoy the work load. She’s a math lover so this was telling me to look for another program to get her excited again. She loves the fraction books she’s doing now!

mamacat 05-17-2018 06:12 PM

It sounds like your gut is with thatMaster Skills one. IME after many years of homeschooling, sometimes solid is much better than challenging.I love the emphasis on a love for math. And the practical application of it A lot of learning takes place that way unless she loves a lot of challenge. What kind of a learner is she?