Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Flip phone or smart phone? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527490)

kiloyd 08-13-2019 11:26 AM

Flip phone or smart phone?

Thought my purse made it into the van this morning along with the diaper bag. Nope! Ran over my purse with the front van tire, only thing in it was my wallet and slider phone. Phone looked fine. But later used it and the dfg area of the keypad bulges up , still works though. So not getting a new phone just yet.

I did finally write all the numbers from my phone out on paper today though.

I really really like flip phones. They are just small in my pocket, last longer because the keypad gets protected.

I only want a phone for calling, texting and picture messaging. I really really really do not want to fall into the trap and put email or FB on a smart phone if/when I get one.

You generally only see people over 60 with flip phones (my dad). But my dad will text on his a little bit and picture message. My mom has a smart phone and was not going to put FB or email on it but she did.

I have a tablet and do not like replying to FB messages or email on it.

I either join the 21st century or be strong and don't mind any laughs at my flip phone. :giggle

KarenBoo 08-13-2019 11:47 AM

Re: Flip phone or smart phone?

I really love my smartphone because I can take pictures and video on it, and I just love doing that!

And, I love my audiobooks!!!

And yes, I am addicted to my FB and email on my phone too. blah!

forty-two 08-13-2019 12:19 PM

Proud flip phone user here :giggle. It used to be because of cost, but now I'm a conscientious objector of sorts - best way to teach my kids they can function without a smartphone is to function without one myself. (Also I don't trust myself with one.) I used a Motorola Razr for over a decade, till they quit supporting it :(. (I had great fun ironically bragging on my phone as "the cool phone of '05" :lol. It was an awesome phone, though - I miss it.) Now I have the cheapest-phone-they-carry that they gave me free to replace my Razr.

Mother of Sons 08-13-2019 12:27 PM

I would just get a flip phone since that’s what you want. I love my smartphone for music, audio books and to satisfy my curiosity at a moments notice. Also gps which is free unlike a separate gps. We are out of the house a significant amount of time that it would be a problem to not have access to email but I set it for no notifications. I do think smart phones are just digital collars but it offers me enough to do it anyways.

ECingMama 08-13-2019 12:50 PM

I liked my life better when I just had a flip phone.

Virginia 08-13-2019 01:53 PM

If you can, then do just a flip phone :)

I do too much from my phone— paying bills, emailing, running the Facebook page for the magazine I write for— during random moments throughout the day. I couldn’t smoothly and happily transition back right now:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiloyd 08-13-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6189182)
If you can, then do just a flip phone :)

I do too much from my phone— paying bills, emailing, running the Facebook page for the magazine I write for— during random moments throughout the day. I couldn’t smoothly and happily transition back right now:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly! Transitioning back that is, hard to go backwards.

I do like the keypad for texting. But I was pretty good at texting on a flip phone.

I like a real key board in front of me. I don't reply to FB or email on my tablet, too small.

The only thing that is kind of annoying is that I often forward myself pictures people send me to my email so I can see them bigger. But....I need to get bifocals so that will help too. haha!

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons (Post 6189177)
I would just get a flip phone since that’s what you want. I love my smartphone for music, audio books and to satisfy my curiosity at a moments notice. Also gps which is free unlike a separate gps. We are out of the house a significant amount of time that it would be a problem to not have access to email but I set it for no notifications. I do think smart phones are just digital collars but it offers me enough to do it anyways.

I don't care about the music and don't like audio books, like a real book in my hands.

The "curiosity at a moments notice" is something people are so quick to do. "Hey Siri, what's blah blah blah". DD just asked Siri the price of screen protectors on an iPhone7 that she just got today.

Yeah, I hate my GPS. Looked up the price of a new one thinking it would be about $50, nope! more like $150.

twoplustwo 08-14-2019 08:12 AM

Well, I am not trading my smart phone for a flip phone unless I needed to. I use it an enjoy it too much (maps, travel soccer club app, fit bit app, netflix, bible app, scan my tickets rather than paper tickets for sports/event, reward apps, kids school app, amazon app, habits app, running app, etc. calendar linked to my google calendar with reminders and such) It supports my organization. I also like that I have a game or two if I end up waiting without a book on hand.

I don't use it for social media very often. I don't social media much anyway and usually use a computer to check facebook.

But I'd totally give it up for a flip phone for cost reasons if I didn't have much desire to do all that stuff I listed above. But I do have a great desire. . . am I an app addict? No, no, I could quit anytime . . .really I could . . .;)

Mother of Sons 08-14-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

The "curiosity at a moments notice" is something people are so quick to do. "Hey Siri, what's blah blah blah". DD just asked Siri the price of screen protectors on an iPhone7 that she just got today.

Do you see that as a bad thing? I don’t usually use Siri but I search for things all the time.

On Siri, the one thing I do use it for is finding places near me. We are away from home a lot during the week so being able to find a grocery store gas station or restaurant is really nice.

I do like being able to combine things I use into one device. I don’t have to carry around a camera, a video recorder, a calculator, a metronome, a tuner, a compass, various medical logs, a calendar, an iPod, a gps (also I love that this shows traffic and reroutes me for the best way), a pulse meter, a watch, a timer, an alarm, a stack of books (if I could I would get rid of all paper books)a photo album, a note pad, my budget and financial accounts oh and a phone �� etc. I use all those things daily or near daily so having them all in one place for me is really great.

Im not trying to talk you into it at all. I just think there are more reasons than Facebook that someone would use a smart phone and it’s not necessarily the bad thing it gets made out to be.

charla 08-14-2019 09:10 AM

Dh and I were totally against getting a smart phone but due to his work situation, we realized we needed something with a little data which our old slider phone did not have the option for. We use the smart phone a ton, especially dh for work. However, we don't have our email installed on there and while facebook is installed on there, we very rarely look at it because we prefer fb on a desktop or laptop. He appreciates having the maps on the smart phone. I like being able to take pics and video and playing an occasional game while waiting for something. We don't regret the decision one bit and wouldn't go back, but I think you need to do what works best for you.

forty-two 08-14-2019 11:17 AM

Fundamentally, the reason I don't want a smartphone is the same reason that most people do want one: I don't want to have an always-available internet connection, and I don't want to have an always-available computer. A portable internet-connected computer is powerful and seductively convenient, and I *don't* want to shape my life around it and have it shape me in turn. Tech has shaped me far more than enough as it is - I don't want to invite it even further into my life.

~*~

WRT to GPS, I find navigating by map far superior to navigating by phone :shrug3. Dh has a smartphone, and he invariably uses it to navigate, and so when I'm with him I use it, too. But I just did a cross-country trip with my sister, and even though she has a smartphone, we used an atlas exclusively. And it was *so* much better than using gps and map apps, even with an unexpected detour. In addition to allowing us to see the big picture much better, using the atlas was much more relaxing. I felt so much more competent and confident. Give me a good map any day - I actively prefer a map to GPS. I avoid GPS whenever possible (which is always, except when dh insists :sigh.)

kiloyd 08-15-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons (Post 6189265)
Do you see that as a bad thing? I don’t usually use Siri but I search for things all the time.

Not always. Sometimes. It's a neat feature though.