Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Anal Gland (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=503375)

thankfulheart 04-22-2014 04:48 PM

Anal Gland

Our 5 month old puppy stinks. I put her in her kennel when I showered and came back to get her and it smelled so bad. I put her outside and had to wash her bedding. Just a bit ago she was sitting by my foot, got up and started licking where she'd been sitting...and then the smell hit me! :sick

It does smell like the dogs do when the vet expresses the gland...but is she leaking anal gland fluid? I've never had a dog do this, but it's what it has to be. It's foul! I need to give her a bath!

I think her poop is normal...she eats 4Health puppy food. The gland should be expressing when she goes.

Any ideas? Why is she leaking?

Psyche 04-22-2014 05:19 PM

Re: Anal Gland

It can get clogged. Can you have the vet express it?

ProudMommaof2 04-22-2014 05:21 PM

We have had a few dogs do this, it's soooo rank, I know!! You can google how to express it during her baths, but I have never been able to muster up the stomach to do it. My husband has done it. Blah!!!

thankfulheart 04-22-2014 05:40 PM

She is scheduled to go to the vet Friday for her last puppy shots. I'm going to call in the morning to see if they can do it tomorrow!

I just googled how to do it...I think I'll wait. I'm not squeamish but I don't know if I can hold her and do it. She's already pretty strong and dh won't be of any help...he has a SUPER weak stomach.

It's really is gross! lol

NeshamaMama 04-22-2014 07:59 PM

Ugh, I remember our dog used to have that issue all the time. Our groomer always expressed her anal glands when grooming as long as we asked. I don't think I could have done it myself. :sick

Amber 04-22-2014 08:13 PM

I would have your vet check them when you take her in.

Sometimes anal glands will get expressed when a dog s scared. Maybe she got startled while in her kennel.

Honeybee2three 04-28-2014 07:40 PM

Sometimes it can be infected and rupture. If she is licking the area a lot,there could be some discomfort. Sounds like you'll be at the vet by soon. Best wishes.

thankfulheart 04-28-2014 07:45 PM

When we went to the vet he said her glands were empty. She probably emptied them in the kennel, floor and couch. :sick She hasn't done it since though! So maybe they were just blocked up or something and it worked itself out.

november 04-28-2014 09:12 PM

My pug has this issue fairly regularly and it is soooo gross. :sick We took her to the vet the first time and they charged $20 to express her anal glands. Ohhhh no! We Youtubed some vet DIY videos and I've made poor DH do it ever since and it works fine. Gross, though. Lol.

(And yes, she's on premium food so it's not a matter of her not having good nutrition. Some breeds are more prone to this than others. I always say it smells like metallic ... butt ;) lol )