Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Hebrew and greek lessons (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527154)

SewingGreenMama 05-23-2019 11:14 AM

Hebrew and greek lessons

Does anyone here have their kids learning biblical greek and/or Hebrew?
I'm wanting to start my oldest, 11.5 yo, on one or the other during the 2020 spring semester. I want to do Greek first but I wonder if there are better resources for teaching Hebrew to kids?
Thoughts? Ideas?

ThirstyTurtle 05-23-2019 11:30 AM

Re: Hebrew and greek lessons

Often Greek churches in the US have a Greek school for American kids to learn Greek. I wonder if attending the school without being a church member is an option, or if you could contact them and learn what resources they use?

ViolaMum 05-23-2019 11:35 AM

We did Elementary Greek for two years. It's a good program. We dropped it because my kids just had too much going on.

A tip - there are lots of songs for learning the Greek alphabet but we found that singing to the tune of Beethoven 9 (Ode to Joy) was the easiest and really stuck. All four of my kids still remember it! (Lots of programs use the tune for Twinkle or make up a tune, but rhythmically they don't work nearly as well.)

SewingGreenMama 05-23-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6181378)
We did Elementary Greek for two years. It's a good program. We dropped it because my kids just had too much going on.

A tip - there are lots of songs for learning the Greek alphabet but we found that singing to the tune of Beethoven 9 (Ode to Joy) was the easiest and really stuck. All four of my kids still remember it! (Lots of programs use the tune for Twinkle or make up a tune, but rhythmically they don't work nearly as well.)

Oooh, Thank you!!

I would consider the greek church classes, but the closest one is a 45+ min drive. But I will call and ask what they suggest. Thanks!

Tasmanian Saint 05-26-2019 04:56 AM

My 12 and 10yo are using Greek for Children from Classical Academic Press. We're working through it at about a third the pace is designed for. Postage costs are always an issue for us in Australia, so when I was looking at options I made a spreadsheet of the options I found, trying to get the biggest bang for my buck. The unintended result of that was a program that is very grammar heavy but, apart from memorising a few verses, has no 'living' component - by which I mean opportunities to see/hear/read it in action. (This is in Primer A, which is all that exists the last time I checked. I believe there will be more interaction with the language in future books). So I found some books we could use to practise reading Greek and we do that for a few minutes when we have time.
When we finish primer A, CAP mentioned in an email that we could go on to Athenaze. I have some other options on my Amazon wishlist that I'll look into again when the time comes as well.
One of those is Polis which is immersion and has all the audio as free download I believe. But I don't know how well it could be used without a competent teacher. But it's intriguing :D