Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Gardening 2019 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526950)

Soliloquy 04-04-2019 03:28 PM

Gardening 2019

I fertilized my citrus trees today. Tasted my first homegrown Meyer lemon. :yum

I cleared out last year's pea plants.
Started whacking away at the awful blackberry canes that I need to kill.
Started clearing away last year's tomato plants.

Obviously, I didn't do what I needed to do last fall. But it's so nice out that I don't mind.

I also transplanted some lavender. Hope it will survive.

All my grape vines and fruit trees are looking good so far.

I need to get the tanglefoot on this weekend and spray with neem oil.

MaybeGracie 04-04-2019 05:08 PM

Re: Gardening 2019

My MIL weeded my backyard garden and planted half of it with peas, beans, carrots, spinach, garlic, and broccoli. :heart I'll be adding some sort of squash and another strawberry plant, possibly something else, plus the cherry tomatoes that regrow on their own each year.

I planted my balcony garden with green onions, spinach, basil, and two kinds of lettuce. Rosemary is still doing well after staying on the balcony all winter. I'll be adding cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes.

charla 04-06-2019 07:54 AM

I cleared the asparagus patch, but I still have a ton of weeding to do there. I bought some zucchini seeds but need to find a good place to plant them. I just looked at my deck bag garden and I'd like to figure out what I want to plant in there, too. I will in all probability buy tomato and pepper plants for my raised bed. Do you think cucumber would do well in a potting soil bag on a deck? I miss having cucumbers but can't get them to grow at all in my raised bed. We have this choking, vining kind of grass that I just can't get out of my raised bed and I don't think the cucumber plants like it.

Soliloquy 04-06-2019 11:15 AM

Some cucumbers do great in pots! Just check the seed packet or the tag if you're buying starts.

Cucumbers are harder to grow than tomatoes, IMO. But they're so worth it. :yum I only plant a few cucumber plants simply because I don't have good luck with them. I'm starting to only plant things that do super well and give me high yields. I used to enjoy trying to coax the fussier things or ones that just don't thrive in my area but I'm over that. :lol

So many things can be grown in pots. Even beets!

2sunshines 04-06-2019 02:24 PM

I started clearing out and prepping my garden beds today. The weather was beautiful! I'm in Michigan so it will be a while till I actually plant (I do plants rather than seeds).

I should really consider doing an asparagus patch.... I know they grow well here. But I know nothing about it. Any tips from those of you who grow it?

knitlove 04-06-2019 07:17 PM

I actually have sun this year so we can grow things!!

We have strawberry plants and carrots in a little raised bed that we pulled mint out of.

I need to figure out what I want to grow in pots and what else we can put out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

charla 04-06-2019 08:46 PM

I have found asparagus extremely easy. I'm not sure how to describe it but you make a furrow but then build the middle of it up and plant the crowns on top of that middle with the roots trailing down into the furrow. Then you cover it up. I watered it while it was getting established well. My plants said that I couldn't harvest for two years (so hard to wait but worth it). Since they are well-established in a raised bed, I don't even bother watering. :shiftyWhen the plants die and become dry and brittle for the winter you can cut all of that back. I am finding that the vining grass that grows in that bed is starting to choke it out however, so weeding is more important than I wish. :doh

Soliloquy 04-06-2019 11:20 PM

Asparagus is really easy. Just buy starts and stick them in the ground. They like mulch. Definitely wait 2 years to harvest.

I wanted to get sugar snap peas and lettuce planted this weekend but it was raining and COLD. Far too cold to be wet.