Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Anyone doing the Scripture Memory system from the CM program? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=243426)

MtnMama 02-29-2008 05:48 PM

Anyone doing the Scripture Memory system from the CM program?

I got the stuff (card holder, tabs, and cards) to do it and I wondered how it is working for others.

My memory could be greatly improved, so when I read that Lily's not too young to start memorizing Scripture, I felt like it would be a :tu for the whole family.

Here's a link to in, in case any one is interested: http://www.simplycharlottemason.com/...ers/memorysys/

Also, (and maybe this could be cross-posted?) what version of the Bible should we use for a small one? We pretty much use the KJV, but I've been thinking that a different version might make memorization easier, as well as helping her understand. Any thoughts on that?

Learninggentleness 02-29-2008 06:03 PM

Re: Anyone doing the Scripture Memory system from the CM program?

I'm in the process of putting it together as well. I have all the supplies and did finish arranging/labeling, etc. I'm just now beginning to add bible verses to index cards. It looks like a great program. :yes

MtnMama 02-29-2008 06:27 PM

What version do you think you'll be using?

Leslie 02-29-2008 08:22 PM

We used the ICV (International Children's Version/Everyday Bible) so that my son would understand what he was memorizing. Now he's a senior and been raised with a CM mindset, classic books, complex language - and he wishes he had memorized those verses in KJV! So he's rememorizing some of them.

You might consider reading in one version and memorizing in another.

mom2boys 03-06-2008 09:39 PM

I know I answered on your other thread :-) But I couldn't remember if I said that we use our memory work box for everything we need to remember-Bible verses, times tables, irregular verbs, latin declinations, everything. I actually bought a big pack of stuff form "homeschooling with index cards" and we use a lot of that stuff in our memory boxes. I like how easy it is after I bought the packs-print and you're done. :giggle Then I figured out how to make some of my own in word and now we have individualized cards, too.
And, we use the bigger postcard size-4X6. I found the index card size was just too hard to read when we started putting more info on the card; like the Lord's Prayer. The text was too small for the youngers to read, and the cards were harder for them to handle with their small hands, kwim?
I love, love, love the system! It's very easy to use. We started out putting all our cards in daily and then as they learn them putting them back in the odds, then evens, then days of the week, etc. We don't have any in the numbered sections yet, but we just started a few months ago. I'm looking forward to the day when the box is busting at the seams! :heart

MtnMama 03-07-2008 07:37 AM

:tu So far so good. I've never been great at memorization and am pretty stoked to have several verses memorized.

Lily kind of goes through the motions and repeats some of the words after me, so I'm hoping that's "working" until she has more verbal ability to say them fully.

Reading Scripture can't be bad! :)

That's awesome that you use it for other subjects. Do you have different boxes for everything, or just in one big one?

mom2boys 03-07-2008 08:07 AM

Just one. It's easier for me that way-I can say, "do your memory work now" and there's only one box they can claim to have lost :haha

MtnMama 03-07-2008 08:24 AM

Ah, I remember those days! :lol