Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   ACL/Meniscus tears in dog? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525207)

thankfulheart 04-23-2018 05:40 PM

ACL/Meniscus tears in dog?

Our 4.5 year old Australian Cattle Dog injured herself Saturday night playing frisbee. After a few hours at the emergency vet they said she had most likely torn her cruciate ligament and meniscus as well. I thought she had broken a bone because I could feel something moving in there and kind of shifting/popping. :( We followed up with our local vet today and he agreed, she needs surgery to repair it and because she's a very active athletic dog we should either do the TTA or TPLO procedure. Has anyone had experience with either of these? I'm reading about both tonight and there are pros and cons to both...lots of opinions in both camps.

We would like for her to return to playing frisbee. She LIVES for the frisbee and even now, she's 100% non weight bearing on that leg, on 3 different meds for pain and inflammation...she still looks at her frisbee longingly when I take her out to potty. It's been hard keeping her calm today...even tripod walking she's energetic. :( She's the loviest sweetest little thing so we want to fix her leg if we can..the other thing I'm worrying about is the cost is staggering! The procedures are similar prices but the TTA is slightly cheaper and we're leaning that way.

domesticzookeeper 04-24-2018 08:48 AM

Re: ACL/Meniscus tears in dog?

Poor puppers :hugheart

I don't have any experience, but I did find this from the American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS):

Quote:

"The TTA and TPLO share similar advantages and disadvantages. ... The decision between TPLO and TTA is based purely on the opinion of your surgeon and their personal technical experience. To date, no published data supports one technique being superior to the other."

[source: https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/cr...gament-disease]

This might also be helpful for when your gal does have surgery: 9 Lessons Learned From Dog ACL Surgery and Recovery

thankfulheart 04-24-2018 09:05 AM

Re: ACL/Meniscus tears in dog?

Thank you, that article was very helpful. I'm nervous about recovery. I've been reading how bad the first few days are for them. :cry Anything I can do to help her I will.