Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Spring Cleaning 2019 (Fall Cleaning for those Down Under!) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526949)

Soliloquy 04-04-2019 03:25 PM

Spring Cleaning 2019 (Fall Cleaning for those Down Under!)

Anybody started? I've done little bits but I need to get motivated.

We got one huge hot spot totally cleared. Our former project/art/homeschool room is going to become a bedroom. Everything in that room either got moved to a new home or donated/tossed. Feels so good. Dh is painting it, then my younger ds will move in to it. That will start a domino effect of the kids changing rooms as we have the time and money to paint. I'm so excited for all of that to be done.

So, I'm going to spring clean those bedrooms as they get vacated, not before. I want to get the main living areas and my bedroom done, though.

Clear out project room
Fertilize citrus trees

Declutter
Dust
Move furniture, clean underneath
Mop
Vacuum
Rug Doctor

Wash all bedding, switch to lighter summer blankets
Go through my closet
Go through drawers, switch out winter for summer

Re-organize Christmas decorations
Go through storage closet

Wash all winter jackets
Check ski equipment, store for next winter
Put away sleds
Clear off porch.
Burn cardboard
empty woodstove
Put gloves and hats away
Go through my "mom" bag
deep clean front entryway

Sort and organize beach gear.
Buy new swimsuits as needed.
Buy new sunscreen.

Bathe dogs

MaybeGracie 04-04-2019 05:04 PM

Re: Spring Cleaning 2019 (Fall Cleaning for those Down Under!)

We're doing the kids' bedrooms over the next week. Want to get rid of as much as I can, especially in the older boys' room.

Vicki_T 04-04-2019 11:48 PM

I need to do some Spring cleaning, but I'm not feeling very motivated :bag We're taking two weeks off from homeschooling over Easter and I'd like to use some of that time for cleaning, though we've already got things booked in for several days so I may need to plan in which days are for cleaning so they don't get taken over with other things. I should also probably make a list of what I want to get done :think

simplegirl 04-05-2019 06:08 AM

It's our spring break here. I'm moving as slow as a snail but getting some progress done, pile by pile. My son's school does a yard sale fundraiser so that is my motivation to go through closets/drawers and declutter!

charla 04-06-2019 08:01 AM

I did quite a bit of spring cleaning a little early. We swapped furniture in two rooms and part of one and so that resulted in deep cleaning under and behind most of the furniture in those rooms. I washed curtains in three rooms, thoroughly cleaned mirrors, vacuumed couches inside and out, tidied everything in those three rooms. I've been wanting to clean under and behind the stove because it just gets so gross there. So the other night I had no choice but had to clean it when I dropped an entire crockpot full of bbq meatballs on the floor and it splashed all over the stove on the front and sides, the back wall behind the stove (how did it get there?:shrug3) and the cabinets surrounding the stove. It was a big job, but now my stove and surrounding areas are clean. I replaced my winter wreath with my spring wreath on the front door.

RiverRock 04-06-2019 09:32 AM

Along the lines of replacing a winter wreath with a spring wreath...I need to do that as well as properly store my Christmas decorations. I have a final project due on Friday for a class I've been taking, and then I need to get into a routine of some sort. I am so behind on cleaning and organizing that I think need to schedule weekly cleaning times and just work as I feel and where I feel to move through the house. There will be a lot of shuffling, purging, deep cleaning, and then regular maintenance to keep everything nice.

Two weeks ago I spent two hours in the kids' bathroom doing a deep clean, and then about that much time in one of my kids' bedrooms. I've started, but it will be a long process to make it through the house.

I also hung some artwork that I bought a few months ago. I have more that can be framed and/or hung.

I have too many things to do to make a list (which surprises me, because I usually like an excuse for a list), so I'll plan for blocks of time and just do stuff until the house starts feeling fresh and comfortable again. Right now it feels grungy and neglected.

Soliloquy 04-15-2019 12:35 PM

Just added re-organize Christmas things to my list. I was getting over a nasty virus when we took it all down and I just put in the closet any which way. :doh

Dh was out of town last week. I usually tackle projects when he's gone but I didn't feel up to it. Maybe this week. It's so cold and rainy so outside projects have been put off. I should be able to tackle some indoor thing.

RiverRock 04-15-2019 03:26 PM

Thanks for bumping the thread, Lisa. I need to come up with a plan. The weather forecast here is for rain and I have a lot of free time this week.

I can also relate to your Christmas decoration situation, Lisa. I put everything into boxes, and into the middle of the garage. I need to find a new place to store Christmas stuff because I don't trust that my crawl space will stay dry. My storage closet was turned into a Lego room, but now I think it will need to be used for storage again.

I need to go through all of rooms and do thorough cleans instead of just quickly tidying with a selective spit and polish. Today I started on the outer surfaces of the kitchen, but I need to spend some time in cupboards and in the pantry. I also need to clean the windows in that room. I'll be pleased if I get the kitchen done. :tu

heartofjoy 04-15-2019 09:17 PM

I'm planning to spring clean after I get back from FL in May. My son's graduation is going to be at our house on the 18th, so I have to get things clean by then. My house smells like dog right now. :sick I am so over it.

mummy2boys 04-16-2019 01:30 AM

Its still fairly warm here Down Under :wink so I'm trying to get a little bit of cleaning and decluttering done each day.

Thanks for this nudge :)

Soliloquy 04-16-2019 01:04 PM

My kids burned the huge pile of cardboard boxes that accumulated over the winter.

Other than that I'm not feeling motivated. :sigh

RiverRock 04-16-2019 01:07 PM

I cleaned out the tea drawer yesterday. Right now I'll clean out the spice drawer and see where that takes me. One drawer or shelf at a time. Maybe I'll put on an audio book and get going. I have an unexpected day at home so I might as well use the time wisely.

knitlove 04-16-2019 09:47 PM

There are some catiagories of things that I have less space for in our new house. I need to week out my dish towls and see if I can ger them to fit in the drawer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RiverRock 04-19-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRock (Post 6177855)
I cleaned out the tea drawer yesterday. Right now I'll clean out the spice drawer and see where that takes me. One drawer or shelf at a time. Maybe I'll put on an audio book and get going. I have an unexpected day at home so I might as well use the time wisely.

The spice drawer is done, and yay, no pantry beetles! :shifty I also soaked and scrubbed the exhaust fan covers. :sick I used a toothbrush and dish soap to scrub away the grease.

JoannaV 04-20-2019 01:38 PM

I put kids' boots and coats away. (Well, the boxes are in my car right now, but they'll go up in the garage next time it's open.)
Need to remember to clean out the coal stove.

Oh man, I just remembered earlier today I had put soap on the sunroom table and sprayed around the bottom of the toilet and neither of those things have I returned to clean!! I'd better run!