Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   ergh. (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=373488)

ValiantJoy07 08-27-2010 05:47 AM

ergh.

Have you seen the new "like" on facebook? (well maybe not "new" but a bunch of my fb friends have been joining it): "I would rather go to jail for spanking my kids, than for them to go because I didn't."
:sick ugh. Gotta love hte logic on that one.

Wonder Woman 08-27-2010 06:08 AM

Re: ergh.

yes, there's a thread around here somewhere about it - my response, posted on my FB as soon as a friend 'liked' it?
Quote:

ugh...just saw that (deleted) facebook meme about hitting kids to keep them out of jail...sigh. Seriously? People seriously think that all they have to do to keep their kids out of jail is to hit them? Gosh, why am I wasting my time loving, guiding, teaching, and being with my kid then? I mean, it's not like violence actually teaches violence or anything...oh wait. Never mind.

littleplum 08-27-2010 12:19 PM

Well, you know if you don't slap your 6 month old for trying to turn over while you change his diaper, he'll totally grow up to rob a liquor store!

Damselfly 08-27-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleplum (Post 3294515)
Well, you know if you don't slap your 6 month old for trying to turn over while you change his diaper, he'll totally grow up to rob a liquor store!

Hehe! The sad thing though is I know people who think pretty close to that way.

I haven't seen that Facebook "like" but I've been wanting to "come out of the closet" about the fact that I don't spank and that just might be what I need to push me over the edge. What a sick mentality to come up with that! :sick

Sparrow 08-27-2010 06:02 PM

There is a "I'd rather not spank my kids and have them not go to jail, than to go to jail because I did."

My brother works as a case counselor in a halfway house for people who have committed horrific crimes. Very violent offenders. Part of his job is sitting in on parole hearings, where he hears inmates talk about their past. :shiver

And FTR, anyone I know (protecting the identities) who have gone to jail have been spanked - and some "lovingly".

Pearl In Oyster 08-29-2010 05:22 PM

I spoke up in response to one of those posts pointing out that it is a false dichotomy and got basically told "there there, you'll understand when your kids are older/you have boys/you deal with unruly (and therefore obviously unspanked) middle school kids". Others said that it's fine if I happen to have a kid who doesn't need spanking but that some kids need it?? :sigh

Llee 08-29-2010 06:44 PM

Yep, that "Some kids need it" line dh got when he started at one school. He's happy to know that he hasn't had to use corporal punishments on any of his kids at school or at home. He is saddened to see the effects of it on his kids at school though.