Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Beverages *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=545)
-   -   Make your own iced mocha? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=313314)

Mama Bird 07-07-2009 08:53 AM

Make your own iced mocha?

I LOVE McDonald's iced mochas. Unfortunately, they're disgustingly expensive. I've tried to make my own at home, but can't quite get it right. Does anyone have a surefire way to make one that tastes like Mickey D's?

I have my own cappuccino/espresso maker, so that's not an issue. :-)

Lady TS 07-07-2009 10:43 AM

Re: Make your own iced mocha?

:popcorn

thomer 07-07-2009 11:18 AM

I'm drinking one right now :yum

Here's a link with a recipe - http://www.ehow.com/how_2293047_make...ed-coffee.html but it requires that you wait overnight which is much too long for me ;)

For mine, I took a cup of plain brewed coffee, 2.5 T of hot chocolate mix, 1 cup of milk (I used rice milk) and a bit of sugar. I mixed it up in a juice mixer pitcher and then added some ice. It melted and so I poured it over some ice in a glass.

The problem was that my first batch of ice melted right away and watered down the coffee. I would let your coffee cool a bit before making it (as hard as that is)

The good part was that I got three glasses of coffee out of it.

You'd have to tweak it how you like it but it's a basic recipe.

Here's another coffee recipe link :yum http://www.coffeefair.com/free-coffee-recipes-ebook.htm

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Oh yeah, and if you're really wanting a McD's one - supposedly you can get a free one every Monday in July from 7AM to 7PM

http://www2.mcdonalds.com/mccafe/ :tu

tigerlily 07-07-2009 01:18 PM

I used to love to make a cup of coffee and a cup of homemade hot cocoa. Then I mix them together. Yum. I imagine it would be good over ice, too.

Nowadays, I just make a little coffee with a lot of milk and a little chocolate syrup (I'm feeling lazy.):yawn

newday 07-07-2009 01:20 PM

I love my toddy for iced coffee and mocha but I don't know what the mcdonald's ones taste like...
looks like you got some good recipes though

3PeasInAPod 07-07-2009 01:20 PM

i just made one this morning.. I usually do my plain latte, but decided to add some chocolate to it today.. I don't measure (other than when making the espresso part).. but I make my chocolate milk first, then heat & froth, then just add my espresso.. yum!

diamondintherough 07-07-2009 04:57 PM

I use leftover coffee just for this purpose :-) I sweeten the coffee when it's still warm. After it cools I put it in the blender with some milk/cream and possibly some chocolate syrup. Add ice and blend.

YUMMY!

Leen 07-07-2009 10:20 PM

My DH manages a fancy/snobby coffee shop :giggle. Here's how they make them at his shop.

Pull your shots of espresso into a small cup/shot glass that already contains the chocolate syrup you're using. Once your shot is in the cup, stir it up and then pour it into the glass you'll use. Then add the milk (cold), then your ice. That should keep things less watery!

Firebird Rising 07-07-2009 10:53 PM

I don't drink the McD's ones, but I get starbucks mocha powder and make my own that taste just like SB's.

Jen D.

starbellys 07-07-2009 11:05 PM

yummy hmmmm now to make it dairy free and fair trade..
hehe :)

BriansLovie 07-08-2009 06:39 AM

Oh yum, that sounds so good. I am so afraid to drink coffee stuff while breastfeeding tho. Afraid of supply issues. But maybe I can try it... Hmmm

diamondintherough 07-08-2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbellys (Post 2431026)
yummy hmmmm now to make it dairy free and fair trade..
hehe :)

Free trade is easy. Dairy, could substitute soy or rice milk, but it wouldn't be as creamy. I would try coconut milk.

musicmama 07-08-2009 08:11 AM

*I* personally wouldn't drink coffee that's been brewed the day after you make it :yuck but maybe Sbux just has me snobby, lol. If you're not using espresso, I would at the VERY least make just regular iced coffee which involves brewing coffee double strength. At Sbux when we make iced coffee we brew a full batch (measure) of grounds on a half batch setting, and then ice it while it's still hot. (and then add ice again when we serve it) I realize we have super-high freshness standards, but we throw out iced coffee after 8hrs (refrigerated).

Leen 07-08-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondintherough (Post 2431395)
Free trade is easy. Dairy, could substitute soy or rice milk, but it wouldn't be as creamy. I would try coconut milk.

Oh, an iced soy mocha is my FAVORITE summer drink. The nutty taste of the soy goes really well with how sweet the chocolate is. It's so refreshing! I could drink them all day long, which is why it's a really good thing my DH works at a coffee shop so I can drink them for free since they are, literally, the most expensive thing on the menu there. :giggle

Mama Bird 07-08-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BriansLovie (Post 2431275)
Oh yum, that sounds so good. I am so afraid to drink coffee stuff while breastfeeding tho. Afraid of supply issues. But maybe I can try it... Hmmm

Coffee can mess with supply? I've always had enough and I drink decaf daily.:shrug3