Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Dog and cat dentals (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527587)

kiloyd 09-13-2019 05:01 PM

Dog and cat dentals

Got a dental for my cat back in May, or so. He was almost 12 and I didn't do bloodwork. I like that my vet doesn't require it.

Now it's my dog's turn to have a dental. She's 10 or 11. I figure while she's under anesthesia they can remove a fatty lump on her side too. Which made me ask for the price of bloodwork, $150!

I love my pets but they are pets. I do well visits and vaccines and heart worm prevention and they usually get 1 dental as they get older.

But oh so pricey!

sweetpeasmommy 09-13-2019 06:39 PM

Re: Dog and cat dentals

Large dog or small dog? Can you ask if they can test only kidney function? I know there is an in house test for just that. We put a large dog under at around that age for vital surgery. Since it was life or death, I didn’t do the bloodwork. The anesthesia put him into kidney failure so he quit eating and drinking after and I put him down later that week. Still had to pay the $700 for surgery and it was pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domesticzookeeper 09-14-2019 03:54 AM

Given how prone older cats are to kidney issues (and how sensitive cat livers are in general) I always opt for the bloodwork. I've known too many animals who were really sick and hid it really well, that I'd want to know before we move forward with an expensive surgery. Like sweetpeasmommy said, I'd rather avoid the cascading medical and financial issues that could cause (not to mention losing a pet at the end of it :bheart).

I'm 100% certain the vet is going to recommend a dental cleaning for my 15 year old cat this year (and though she is in fantastically good shape for her age, I'd like the bloodwork to confirm that) so I'm prepping my wallet now :shifty :doh

A lot of vets do dental discount months for a percentage off the cleaning, which we have taken advantage of before :tu

kiloyd 09-14-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy (Post 6191778)
Large dog or small dog? Can you ask if they can test only kidney function? I know there is an in house test for just that. We put a large dog under at around that age for vital surgery. Since it was life or death, I didn’t do the bloodwork. The anesthesia put him into kidney failure so he quit eating and drinking after and I put him down later that week. Still had to pay the $700 for surgery and it was pointless.

38#. I had just decided (thought I decided today) to not do bloodwork. I love her, but she's a dog. Well, maybe I'll do the bloodwork and then the dental a month later.

I like the idea of asking if they can just check liver.

sweetpeasmommy 09-14-2019 11:15 AM

Kidney function is what you want to check to see if they are strong enough for anesthesia.