Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Can you make tea in your Keurig My K Cup? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=426845)

Mama Bird 10-16-2011 05:19 AM

Can you make tea in your Keurig My K Cup?

My grandma got jealous of my sister, who was given a Keurig. Naturally, she went out and bought one. :giggle Even more naturally, she could not figure out how to use it, despite the good instructions and my mom coming over daily to show her how. She threatened to throw the "thing clear out the window" due to it's failure to produce "a ding-dong cup of coffee." :haha

So she gave it to my mom, who gave it to me. (Mom didn't want to deal with the one cup at a time thing.)

First thing The Hubs did was go buy hot chocolate K-cups for himself. (Although he has forbidden me from calling them "cups" because he says it reminds him of my Diva Cup and he just can't handle that mental picture. :giggle

Anyway, I'm a well-known cheapskate. And I love me some coffee in the morning, but I love a good cuppa tea in the afternoon. I just bought a box of my beloved Constant Comment. Can I wet the teabag and then put it in the My K-Cup basket and run it like normal?

Do you have any delish things you make in your My K-Cup?

JessicaNichole 10-16-2011 05:21 AM

Re: Can you make tea in your Keurig My K Cup?

:popcorn

JenLovie 10-16-2011 05:31 AM

I just used the Keurig for the hot water and left the tea bag in my cup for the length of time I wanted it brewed.

easygoinmomma 10-16-2011 06:47 AM

:giggle at the diva cup!

I put loose tea in the basket, but I am thinking that a tea bag might be too thick and cause it to leak. The water goes through the coffee/loose tea really fast which makes me think that it wouldn't be able to do that with the tea bag. But I haven't tried it so I don't know for sure. :shrug3

Mama Bird 10-16-2011 07:51 AM

It worked. :shifty I dampened the bag with hot water first, let it sit for a few moments in the basket, then ran it though.

I must...MUST stop playing with this thing and get some things done... :giggle

hey mommy 10-16-2011 09:04 AM

:popcorn

I'm getting a Keurig for my birthday next weekend :rockon so i'm looking for ideas.

Mother of Sons 10-16-2011 10:40 AM

We got one too. Specifically for hot chocolate and tea. I'm trying to drink coffee to keep my swelling down but I just can't seem to like it lol.

Mama Bird 10-17-2011 05:02 AM

Ok, so it didn't work. It looked like tea but was way too weak. I fixed it by brewing hot water into my cup with the tea bag in there. Which then gave me what I consider to be a brilliant idea!

So I put a family sized teabag into a glass measuring cup and then brewed 2 hits of large hot water into it. Let it steep for a while then put it into a pitcher of cold water. Iced tea. :yes

This morning I brewed strong coffee into my cup that had a bit of cocoa in it. Pretty decent mocha. :mrgreen

JenLovie 10-17-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Bird (Post 4223931)
This morning I brewed strong coffee into my cup that had a bit of cocoa in it. Pretty decent mocha. :mrgreen

My mom buys the hot chocolate pods before I visit and I always make 1 strong coffee and 1 strong hot chocolate. :yum It's delicious.

happylizzz 10-17-2011 05:55 AM

:haha at your grandma!! So sweet!

I :heart :heart :heart my Keurig! I bought tea k cups in bulk from amazon. There's not a great selection at our grocery store for tea. But I think brewing just the hot water and then putting a tea bag in it is a great idea as well - for sure keeps the cost low!

When I first got the Keurig I was drinking WAY too much coffee during the day because it was so super convenient! :)