Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=438)
-   -   Non-dairy yogurt recommendations? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=524486)

HuggaBuggaMommy 12-28-2017 07:24 PM

Non-dairy yogurt recommendations?

Our grocery store mostly has just two options for non-dairy yogurt, either soy based (which I avoid) or coconut based (which I don't like because I can't stand coconut). But it recently got in Good Karma flaxmilk yogurt, which I thought was fantastic.

I am not sure what my local HFS or natural grocer (we have Whole Foods and an larger, independent store near us, but not in our town, so I have to plan trips there), but would love recommendations, if you've found something you really like.

bananacake 12-28-2017 07:37 PM

Re: Non-dairy yogurt recommendations?

Kite Hill all the way!

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Since I know where you live and have been to your house :shifty :giggle You can select a particular product you'd like to buy and see where it is stocked. I found it at The Fresh Market and Whole Foods. I LOVE the Kite Hill herbed cream cheese as well. I also just bought the ricotta and will let you know how that goes :giggle Keep in mind my children have never had dairy. I have, but still love Kite Hill.

Aerynne 12-28-2017 07:41 PM

The silk almond stuff is good.

bananacake 12-28-2017 07:41 PM

There is also a cashew-based one that's pretty good, but it's thickened with corn starch. Kite Hill products are really cultured with few and usually no thickeners. They even make ravioli (which is not GF but I imagine it's super tasty!).

HuggaBuggaMommy 12-28-2017 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6122427)
There is also a cashew-based one that's pretty good, but it's thickened with corn starch. Kite Hill products are really cultured with few and usually no thickeners. They even make ravioli (which is not GF but I imagine it's super tasty!).

Oh, this is good! The Good Karma has thickeners, which bugs me, so I'm glad to hear of an option that doesn't.

knitlove 12-29-2017 05:04 AM

Kite hill is a brand I have neaver heard of, I will have to search. I would love to find some yogurt that we can eat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bananacake 12-29-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy (Post 6122449)
Oh, this is good! The Good Karma has thickeners, which bugs me, so I'm glad to hear of an option that doesn't.

I should clarify that they may have gums in them. Being GF, most of my food does. But adding starches and such bothers me more personally.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6122474)
I should clarify that they may have gums in them. Being GF, most of my food does. But adding starches and such bothers me more personally.

Now that I'm reading ingredients, some have tapioca starch :doh I buy plain unsweetened and it doesn't.

greengirl19 12-29-2017 11:16 AM

Kite Hill is really good. We also like the Forager brand. Those are both our special treat brands because they don't make unsweetened. we buy a lot of unsweetened plain So Delicious coconut milk yogurt because it's always on sale at the nearby Publix and the kids can dress it up with frozen fruit, granola, etc.

bananacake 12-29-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greengirl19 (Post 6122509)
Kite Hill is really good. We also like the Forager brand. Those are both our special treat brands because they don't make unsweetened. we buy a lot of unsweetened plain So Delicious coconut milk yogurt because it's always on sale at the nearby Publix and the kids can dress it up with frozen fruit, granola, etc.

Kite Hill makes plain unsweetened, but perhaps your store doesn't have it.