Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Soups *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=539)
-   -   Fall Sweet Potato Soup (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=460802)

ArmsOfLove 09-22-2012 08:25 PM

Fall Sweet Potato Soup

My creation from last night :) http://theluttonfamily.com/fall-sweet-potato-soup.html

This year my birthday (yesterday) fell on Friday, and we had my best friend and her family over for Shabbat dinner. I wasn’t sure what I wanted until about mid-day, but I came up with a recipe that I was excited about and when we got it made . . . . YUM! My family loves it and we’ve been eating it all day today as well

When I come up with recipes I usually have a taste in my mouth and then I mentally unpack it and figure out what will make those flavors. I can imagine them all together, and when I smell or tase the food, I know what’s missing. It’s just how I come up with recipes–it’s my process This time I decided to write it all down before I forget it LOL

1 large sweet onion, diced and sauteed in a generous amount of olive oil, and add 5 garlic cloves
Add 5 thinly sliced celery stalks, and 5 cubed carrots and keep sauteeing. It would be best to do this until they are soft
Add 8 peeled and cubed sweet potatoes, 1 box of chicken-free broth (or whatever broth you want), and a bag of frozen spinach
Add 16 cups of water
Add a good amount of salt (I use Himalayan) and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil and cook until everything is soft

Transfer a blender amount at a time into the blender (we love our Vita-mix, or whatever you have) and blend, then restore to the pot.

Add between 2 and 3 teaspoons of nutmeg, and between 2 and 3 teaspoons of thyme. (in full disclosure, I just grabbed both out of their containers and added until it felt right, but I think that is about the amounts ).

Serve and enjoy!

***Today, during out enjoyment of leftovers, I added some black-eyed peas to the bowl of soup and it was delicious.

Serendipity 09-22-2012 09:59 PM

Re: Fall Sweet Potato Soup

I recently made a soup almost identical to this but it had an apple and some cinnamon in it.

StumblinMama 09-22-2012 10:10 PM

Interesting! One of my fondest memories of traveling in Europe was all of the yummy blended soups like this :yes

BlissfullyEsther 09-22-2012 10:24 PM

Sounds delicious! Happy birthday for yesterday. :)

I'll have to google sweet onions before I give this recipe a go. :shrug :giggle

charla 09-22-2012 10:45 PM

:yum

ArmsOfLove 09-22-2012 11:31 PM

You could use any onion (though it might have a slightly different zing or zest ;) ) but I only use sweet onions. I just love them :yum

BlissfullyEsther 09-23-2012 12:04 AM

My google-fu tells me that sweet onions are an American thing and only one place in Australia grows them, and only quite recently. That explains why I've never heard of them. I'll try one of our milder onion types, a salad onion.

ArmsOfLove 09-23-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlissfullyEsther (Post 4866917)
My google-fu tells me that sweet onions are an American thing and only one place in Australia grows them, and only quite recently. That explains why I've never heard of them. I'll try one of our milder onion types, a salad onion.

how sad that you don't have them down under! There are lots of places they are from here. I mostly prefer Vidalia and Walla Walla. :yum

cbmk4 09-23-2012 04:02 AM

As another one who loves to make up recipes, than you! It sounds delicious!

Buela 09-23-2012 12:26 PM

My fav part about fall is falling in love with soups :heart So warm and comforting when there's a chill in the air. We've had butternut squash and potato soups this week, I'll make yours next week.

I make so many more soups now that I have one of those hand held immersion blenders and I don't have to pour the soup into the blender to puree it. And my veggie phobic 4 yo will eat ANY veggie if she can't see it. She had 4 bowls of each soup this week and kept saying "This is DELICIOUS!!" :giggle

Ms_Dahl 09-23-2012 01:45 PM

How many servings do you estimate this recipe makes?

It sounds really good. My issue with blended soups is dealing with the blender portion. I never do a good job at it and it usually doesn't taste as good.