Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   making butter ???? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=321654)

pastelsummer 09-01-2009 07:40 PM

making butter ????

anyone ever made butter out of breastmilk? i was thinking of trying it but have no clue where to start?

keepinghome 09-01-2009 08:27 PM

Re: making butter ????

:popcorn

Quiteria 09-01-2009 08:53 PM

Wow, I never thought of that...I guess start researching old-fashioned directions on how to make butter from raw cow's milk and see what happens if you use breastmilk instead. :shrug3 :) Maybe the Weston A. Price website might have a link, some of the traditional foods info.

---------- Post added at 03:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

Meant to add...I've sorta made butter from overwhipping heavy cream. In that case, I was trying to shake it in the carton since I didn't have a proper mixer, and I shook and shook, and it got thicker, and all of a sudden, there was a thunk, and a bunch of the fat was lumped together as butter, separated from the whey, instead of being a nice foamy whipped cream.

I'll bet you might get results faster if you let your milk settle and then pour off the fat...ooh, maybe use a gravy cup, since that's designed to pour off the liquid from the bottom, leaving the fat behind....it's like a measuring cup but with a spout on the bottom...can't remember the proper term for it...a gravy separator? gravy boat?

Granola_mom 09-01-2009 09:20 PM

I've often wondered about making milk popsicles or
....dare I say.....:bag
Cheese, for my baby. Do people actually do it?

Quiteria 09-01-2009 09:23 PM

I know people make milk soap. And I have def. heard of milk popscicles recommended by mamas for teething pain and post-op, such as after having tonsils removed.

rosesnsnails 09-01-2009 10:27 PM

I tried to make butter by just "churning" the milk. :shifty It didn't work, but it had been previously frozen. :shrug

MomtoJGJ 09-02-2009 04:16 AM

I think you have to use mostly cream to make butter... so if you skimmed your milk for a while.... it would take a long time though.... hmmm..

Serafine 09-02-2009 05:49 AM

YOu would make it the same way that you make butter from cow or goat milk. You would want to use the hindmilk as your source, since it is going to be the highest in cream.

(In dairies, you "strip" the cow...meaning after the milking is over, you get the last bit, which is primarily cream...to use for butter).

You would want to skim the cream from the top, and then whip it (or shake in a jar) until it has turned to butter and buttermilk. Then, you strain the buttermilk out (which you can culture to have cultured buttermilk), and wash with water. Each time you add water, you press the butter (with a wooden/plastic spoon) agains the side of a bowl...this removes the remaining buttermilk.

You keep washing and pressing until no more buttermilk comes out of the butter. Then pack it in a jar and freeze or keep in the fridge.

It is really important to get all the buttermilk out (and takes a LONG time usually - like half-an-hour at least), b/c that is what will cause your butter to go rancid.

pastelsummer 09-04-2009 06:51 PM

cool i will have to try it soon!!! we just found my pump again so i can try now!

jblairosu 09-04-2009 07:31 PM

Let us know if it works!