Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   There’s a wasp in my closet (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527354)

Virginia 07-08-2019 07:03 AM

There’s a wasp in my closet

Dear Eliza, dear Eliza...

I was putting laundry away and noticed a massive wasp buzzing around our closet light. Of course I ran out out screaming because I’m irrationally afraid of them. By the time I came back with a solution of dish soap and water to spray on it, I couldn’t find it.

1) How would a wasp have gotten into my upstairs townhome closet?

2) How do I find this wasp now? It’s in our walk-in closet.

I am not scared of many animals, but I have an irrational fear of bees and wasps because I don’t know if I’m allergic or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twoplustwo 07-08-2019 07:09 AM

Re: There’s a wasp in my closet

You will have to move out of your home, sell it as is, and start over with everything.

Alternatively, move to a hotel and refuse to move back until dh shows you the dead wasp.
There are no good choices here. I may not be very helpful but I obviously don't think you are irrational in this. :shifty

Virginia 07-08-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplustwo (Post 6185600)
You will have to move out of your home, sell it as is, and start over with everything.

Alternatively, move to a hotel and refuse to move back until dh shows you the dead wasp.
There are no good choices here. I may not be very helpful but I obviously don't think you are irrational in this. :shifty

I told DH I was burning the house to the ground

ECingMama 07-08-2019 07:25 AM

Lol

I'm sorry

I can't stand them either. Not by my front door and not in my house.

I'll pray you find him soon!!! I fly swatter at them to get them to move. They seem to be found dead more often than not when we've had them inside.

knitlove 07-08-2019 07:26 AM

Do you have atrick access in this closet? Or a window. Small spaces around either of thoes is an option for how it got in. Alternatively wasps can live in the walls and come in though the area around plugs and light fixtures.

If this closit backs up to any neighbors I would talk to them and see if they have seen any wasps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Virginia 07-08-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6185604)
Do you have atrick access in this closet? Or a window. Small spaces around either of thoes is an option for how it got in. Alternatively wasps can live in the walls and come in though the area around plugs and light fixtures.

If this closit backs up to any neighbors I would talk to them and see if they have seen any wasps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes we do have attic access in the closet :doh
I am now terrified of walls and plugs and light fixtures and want to move immediately [emoji23]

MaySunflowers 07-08-2019 07:33 AM

How about a tiny bowl of honey or beer to draw him out?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 07-08-2019 07:41 AM

I'm sorry. They creep me out, too.

It could have come in when you had a door or a window open. It could also be gone by now. Chances are it's just the one and it got lost. We had one in the kitchen last week. My kids were FREAKING OUT and screaming, but I left the door open for a little while and it just disappeared.

BUT, if you see any more, or your neighbors are seeing more than just the one, check the eaves for a nest. If your Homeowners' Association takes care of outside maintenance, could you give them a call and ask for a roof inspection? I've seen wasps under the gutters before.

Maedchen 07-08-2019 11:55 AM

If you have hair spray, you can spray it on the flying wasp and it will fall to the floor so you can kill it. (This way you don't breath in any poison spray)

Every year, we get 2 that somehow make it into our kitchen. I guess they fly in when we open the front door and we just don't see them, but somehow I find them and it scares me to death. (One year our cat killed them.)

Virginia 07-08-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maedchen (Post 6185644)
If you have hair spray, you can spray it on the flying wasp and it will fall to the floor so you can kill it. (This way you don't breath in any poison spray)

Every year, we get 2 that somehow make it into our kitchen. I guess they fly in when we open the front door and we just don't see them, but somehow I find them and it scares me to death. (One year our cat killed them.)

Thank you! I do have hairspray and will use that next time.

I have looked in the closet twice and still can’t find it. I guess I’m just going to have to only wear pajamas and workout clothes from the dresser because I am NOT going in that closet.

Soliloquy 07-08-2019 12:38 PM

:lol :hug

You cannot have a serious allergic reaction with your first sting. They don't hurt as badly as many people think. They can come in through a door, just like flies or mosquitos. I do understand, though. I really hate spiders. Spider bites are worse than wasp stings, imo. I'm the designated baseball bat wasp nest slugger in our family. My dh is phobic of them, too.

They are attracted to meat and sweets. I'd put a little bit a cooked meat in some sticky honey or syrup.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

My German Shepherd eats wasps. Catches them in the air. Wish I could loan him to you!

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Any kind of spray will temporarily disable it from flying, too. Whatever you have handy. Arm yourself!

Virginia 07-08-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6185651)
:lol :hug

You cannot have a serious allergic reaction with your first sting. They don't hurt as badly as many people think. They can come in through a door, just like flies or mosquitos. I do understand, though. I really hate spiders. Spider bites are worse than wasp stings, imo. I'm the designated baseball bat wasp nest slugger in our family. My dh is phobic of them, too.

They are attracted to meat and sweets. I'd put a little bit a cooked meat in some sticky honey or syrup.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

My German Shepherd eats wasps. Catches them in the air. Wish I could loan him to you!

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Any kind of spray will temporarily disable it from flying, too. Whatever you have handy. Arm yourself!

That’s the problem— I have been stung once. But I haven’t been stung again to see if I’m allergic...

Oh man, I’d take spiders any day! And I’ve had bad spider bites... it’s the fear of the unknown with the wasps :giggle

Tonight when DH gets home and after DD is in bed, I’ll put out some honey (we only have tuna and lunch meat in the house right now) and try to coax the evil stinging beast out.

I shall update y’all with either a tale of victory or a request on how to burn my house down :shifty

Singingmom 07-08-2019 03:15 PM

Maybe you could make a trap with the honey in the way that works like magic on fruit flies. Put plastic wrap tightly over the bowl and cut a slit large enough for him to get in through, and that slit should be hard for him to get out of. With fruit flies you add a drop of dish soap to wine or juice which breaks the surface tension so they drown. You could make a mixture of honey, water, and a drop of dish soap. :think You don't want it to snack on the honey and then go back to hiding.

Virginia 07-08-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 6185678)
Maybe you could make a trap with the honey in the way that works like magic on fruit flies. Put plastic wrap tightly over the bowl and cut a slit large enough for him to get in through, and that slit should be hard for him to get out of. With fruit flies you add a drop of dish soap to wine or juice which breaks the surface tension so they drown. You could make a mixture of honey, water, and a drop of dish soap. :think You don't want it to snack on the honey and then go back to hiding.

Oh good idea!! Thank you!

I definitely do not want it to snack. It is not a welcome houseguest [emoji23]

2sunshines 07-08-2019 04:01 PM

If it were me, my first plan of attack would be to shut the door and not re-open it until dh came home, found, and killed it.

Were that to fail, my next plan of attack would be to arm myself with a plugged in and turned on vacuum cleaner -- holding the extended arm in front of me while I VERY cautiously opened the door and pointed my weapon in all directions until I found it..... If succesful I'd put the whole machine outside afterwards and tell dh to empty the cannister.

Last ditch effort, if you still cannot find it.... I'd try the trap method....