Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   no greater joy/the Pearls (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=154203)

Mommy2three 03-29-2006 12:49 PM

no greater joy/the Pearls

I admit that the recent child abuse murder based on the Pearl's teaching is sad and should be treated as what it is: child abuse. The thing is that my dh and I get their magazine No Greater Joy I use the articles on homeschooling and their daughters, Rebekah and Shalom write very well done columns about herb usage, craft ideas {the recipe for peanut butter playdough went over HUGE with my three little nieces and both my girls}. The way my dh and I see it, is as with anything out there nowadays, you have to use common sense and decide what works best for YOUR family and their needs

:cosleep

MarynMunchkins 03-29-2006 12:53 PM

Re: no greater joy/the Pearls

There are so many other authors out there with similar good ideas that don't promote child abuse. :) I see no reason to support or condone the Pearls because they have a few good ideas mixed in with the lies they teach. :no2

hsgbdmama 03-29-2006 12:59 PM

There are many other resources that are excellent in these areas -- the Pearls have not cornered the market on herbs or homeschooling. :shrug Have you checked out the Natural Health area of the boards? http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...php?board=40.0

Welcome to the boards!!!

snlmama 03-29-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins
There are so many other authors out there with similar good ideas that don't promote child abuse. :) I see no reason to support or condone the Pearls because they have a few good ideas mixed in with the lies they teach. :no2

I agree. The peanut butter playdough recipe is all over the internet and I suspect most of thier other craft ideas are as well in some form or version. :shrug And, for herbs, I agree - check out the natural health area here. I've gotten tons of advice. Nice thing about it is you don't have to wait for an issue to show up in the magazine. You can just ask. :grin

katiekind 03-29-2006 03:32 PM

Just wanted to say welcome! :hug

Quote:

The way my dh and I see it, is as with anything out there nowadays, you have to use common sense and decide what works best for YOUR family and their needs
That's a very sensible attitude to take. We all do need to learn to be discerning readers.

I don't suppose anyone picks up a book not intending to use common sense, though, kwim? :think Some people think they have it, but don't. (Like maybe their own upbringing was so "off" that they really don't know what normal looks like from the inside. I've seen a lot of well-intentioned folks go off the rails because of that.) That's why I wouldn't recommend a source like that. For kids crafts and herbal information and stuff, I'd steer someone in another direction. But I wouldn't try and talk YOU out of something if you've already found yourself able to screen and enjoying parts of it. :grin

luvinmykidz 03-29-2006 04:26 PM

I wouldn't support the pearls no matter what :no2

DeenyB 03-29-2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvinmykidz
I wouldn't support the pearls no matter what :no2

Exactly what i was thinking :neutral

TulipMama 03-29-2006 04:58 PM

Maybe you'd be interested in Gentle Mothering, the print newsletter from GCM.

milkmommy 03-29-2006 05:04 PM

I've yet to see a craft done by them that can't be found super easily in many other places. I don't expect to agree 100% with everything someone writes about even some controversial issues. However the Pearls for me way overstep my personal boundries and I can not in good contience supprt them.

Deanna

Lantern Light Mama 03-29-2006 05:16 PM

Not everyone is wise. Not everyone has good discernment. I will certainly love my neighbors (including the Pearls) the way Jesus said too. But I do not, cannot, and will not support their ministry in any way. That being said, they do need lots of prayers so that they may discern for themselves if what they teach is truly Biblical and with the teachings of Christ. They need massive amounts of prayer. The internet and books are full of ideas. Id like to think we can get all of those ideas from more kid friendly sources. By the way, did I miss your intro?

mommy2abigail 03-29-2006 05:54 PM

I agree with the pp. I would not support the Pearls or Ezzo's simply because they are distorting the Word of God and leading many people astray. :td I dont bad mouth them, but I also do not support, endorse, or recommend their materials. I was one of those people who thought I knew what I believed about child-rearing, after all I had been brought up in a gentle home, had worked with children for years, had taken many many courses on child development, how to discipline without hitting, ect. I worked in a daycare where Becky Bailey's materials were available. BUT after reading these type of books, was lead in the wrong direction in the name of Christianity. I fought with my mother (who was abused as a child and therefore never laid a hand on us) about spanking, she could not believe I'd ever hit my children. Unfortunatly I bought into the whole thing, believing that these 'experts' knew more about the bible than I did. It is a daily struggle to change my thinking now. I wish I never had read those books. I wish well meaning friends had never given them to me. I wish people would realize how dangerous they could be and stopped supporting them so that no one else is lead astray. Thankfully, by the grace of God, I found out about AP and GBD again in the last few weeks of my pregnancy. God got to me just in time! And thankfully I realized before I had my daughter that those methods were abusive, yes, even if followed exactly as the book says, they are child abuse. Please please dont feel as though I am being ugly, :hug2 I assure you that is not my intent, it is just that this is so near to my heart, because I didn't think I could buy into something so horrible, yet after reading the books I did. That is why I would never support them.

AmyDoll 03-29-2006 05:56 PM

Yup, I agree with the pps - my money is a gift from God and I'm called to be a steward of that money. I wouldn't knowingly support a ministry that was leading people astray. Especially a "ministry" linked to child abuse.

illinoismommy 03-30-2006 02:45 PM

I'm really interested in this news story about the death... still looking for it .... ;)

TulipMama 03-30-2006 04:15 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/418676.html

illinoismommy 03-30-2006 04:26 PM

thanks.... !