Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Anyone just want to chat? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526248)

Vicki_T 10-28-2018 02:05 PM

Anyone just want to chat?

About what you've been doing recently... Or anything, really. I just fancy a bit of light-hearted chat :giggle

I've had a bit of a stressful week with a work-related assessment the other day and visitors this weekend. I'm a total introvert so even though they were perfectly nice it's felt like a very busy and non-relaxing time. But now it's Sunday evening, I'm watching tv with a cup of tea, I've just had a homemade pumpkin spiced muffin and I can relax for - well, about an hour, until I go to bed, but it's better than nothing!

Hermana Linda 10-28-2018 03:18 PM

Re: Anyone just want to chat?

Oh no, I missed this and your hour is over.

I just had lunch, we got home late from church, because we had lunch at church. But my husband is allergic to everything, so we had another lunch when we got home.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Laurlor 10-28-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicki_T (Post 6160593)
I'm watching tv with a cup of tea, I've just had a homemade pumpkin spiced muffin and I can relax for - well, about an hour, until I go to bed, but it's better than nothing!

That sounds like my heaven! Hope you had a relaxing evening!

Vicki_T 10-28-2018 03:28 PM

Thank you! I'm still up, but only just (I should have gone to bed half an hour ago but I was comfortable and didn't want to move! So it was a relaxing evening, Laurlor :) ) Linda, we had lunch at church as well today which made things simpler for me. Thank you both for replying. Goodnight!

2sunshines 10-28-2018 04:40 PM

Oh! I've been there so many times! Plans to go to bed and then I get too comfrotable to actually move from my current position. :lol

I'm watching tv with my two youngest tonight. The two high schoolers are at youth group.

heartofjoy 10-28-2018 05:48 PM

Sorry I missed you!

I just got home from our end of season volleyball party. My daughter's team won every single game but one. Out of like 30 games. And the team that beat them, dd's team beat them 2 other times.

My older dd and I are traveling out of state to the national homeschool volleyball tournament next week. So her season still has a bit more to go.

Anyone live in Omaha and want to come watch volleyball?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

charla 10-28-2018 06:57 PM

We just got home from our annual Fall area church get-together and the evening always end with a hayride which is so much fun! It was a gorgeous evening and I saw my first shooting star ever!! We had dinner there but we are so hungry so I put a pot of rice on the stove. Rice on Sunday evenings after church has become a tradition in our house - you can top it with whatever you can find! :)

Hope you sleep well, Vicki T.

marbles 10-28-2018 07:00 PM

10 pm here and I just finally got all the kids asleep and now I can eat! I have chili on the stove and I'm so excited to eat it

Vicki_T 10-29-2018 12:52 AM

Thank you for chatting with me! I appreciate it even if I was asleep for some of the replies :) I did sleep well, thank you - our clocks changed on Saturday night so my body clock is still adjusting and we were all up early this morning! (With the exception of dd1, who is never up early... I should go and wake her now). It's a beautiful bright and frosty morning here and I think it's going to be cold!

2sunshines 10-29-2018 03:00 AM

Good morning! Glad you slept well! Your clocks changed? I should look when ours do. :think It should be soon....

The house is still quiet here... I love my quiet mornings before the house wakes up. :heart

Vicki_T 10-29-2018 03:35 AM

Thank you! Yes, our clocks changed on Saturday night. I think it's always the last weekend in October for us, but I must admit that I usually rely on people posting on Facebook!

The Tickle Momster 10-29-2018 11:38 AM

The US changes clocks this coming weekend. It switched a few years ago.

We drove home from a family gathering on Sunday. On the way back we stopped for 2 soccer games. We left Portland at 7:30 am and arrived home at 5:30 pm. Loooong day.

Vicki_T 10-29-2018 12:35 PM

That does sound like a long day!

charla 10-29-2018 01:27 PM

Glad you slept well. :hug

Elibellamiah 10-29-2018 07:37 PM

nevermind

Vicki_T 10-30-2018 12:43 AM

I know what you mean, Eli, about wanting to write something but feeling it's not enough to actually post about. I'm glad you like the thread!
That play date scenario does sound unusual and I can understand why you'd feel intimidated! Have you got a plan yet for the one that you're hosting?

Elibellamiah 10-30-2018 05:40 AM

I'm not making any specific plans, but if my daughter wants to plan activities I'll help her. It's the day before her birthday so I know she wants birthday party type food, but we didn't want to plan it as a birthday party and have them think they need to bring gifts.

2sunshines 10-30-2018 09:55 AM

Yea, I don't get this new formalized "play date" events either. I think it's a product of our crazy busy, over scheduled culture.

But good for you for taking a round on! Let us know what you decide to do! How long are the girls coming and what sort of time frame?

heartofjoy 10-30-2018 03:55 PM

I'm in Tulsa today. On my road trip. We're all staying with my sil tonight. She very generously offered her home to all of us: 3 moms, 3 teens, 1 kid.

Tomorrow we drive to Omaha.

I'm so sore from sitting in the car all day!

I like to chat about stuff without starting a whole thread. It's a good idea. :tu

Virginia 10-30-2018 05:03 PM

Great idea and thread! I'm in :)

We're trying to rehome our cat (after careful consideration and trying different solutions for 14 months...) and I'm nervous because people get so judgmental about this issue without even knowing all the details. Le sigh.

Virginia 11-01-2018 11:46 AM

So... I am the thread killer :giggle

The Tickle Momster 11-01-2018 11:52 AM

I'll jump in again. We participate in a national speech & debate league for homeschoolers. It is our 4th year. My 13 year old is OWNING this! She just came out in her tournament attire. Looking good.

Also, funny heard from dd17 (doing math) to ds 10 (practicing spelling): Please be quiet, I'm using letters too. :giggle

Vicki_T 11-01-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6160939)
So... I am the thread killer :giggle

How are you getting on with the cat re-homing?

I helped my younger DC make apple crumble this afternoon :P~ The youngest wasn't very keen to actually try it but he ended up wanting seconds!

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Desiree, how is your road trip?

charla 11-01-2018 02:58 PM

We had 50 people come by our house last night. This is our fifth year to set up our fire pit in the front yard with seating and we serve hot chocolate, popcorn, and, of course, candy. So much fun!

Virginia 11-01-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicki_T (Post 6160948)

I helped my younger DC make apple crumble this afternoon :P~ The youngest wasn't very keen to actually try it but he ended up wanting seconds!

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Well, we took her to the vet today-- she's healthy and up-to-date on all vaccines. Also got Feliway to help her calm down, hopefully. So I guess now I feel like I can pursue making flyers and promoting her on social media.

Apple crumble sounds delicious! Recipe? :yum

2sunshines 11-01-2018 06:27 PM

We had ZERO trick or treaters last night!!! Crazy. We usually only get a couple since we're in the country but it dropped to none! So the candy went to dh's work this morning. :lol

Elibellamiah 11-01-2018 07:27 PM

We went trick or treating in my mom's neighborhood last night. It was great, we should have been going there all along. I'm sure the nice weather made a difference too though. There were a lot of people sitting outside on their porches or driveways, a lot of houses seemed to be having parties. A police officer was driving around playing music and handing out candy from his police car. It seemed more fun than usual.

Virginia 11-01-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elibellamiah (Post 6160988)
We went trick or treating in my mom's neighborhood last night. It was great, we should have been going there all along. I'm sure the nice weather made a difference too though. There were a lot of people sitting outside on their porches or driveways, a lot of houses seemed to be having parties. A police officer was driving around playing music and handing out candy from his police car. It seemed more fun than usual.

That sounds so fun!! I love the idea of people sitting outside :)

Vicki_T 11-02-2018 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6160964)
Well, we took her to the vet today-- she's healthy and up-to-date on all vaccines. Also got Feliway to help her calm down, hopefully. So I guess now I feel like I can pursue making flyers and promoting her on social media.

Apple crumble sounds delicious! Recipe? :yum

I peeled four Bramley apples then cored and sliced them (I used an apple cutter so the slices were fairly even), then boiled in a pan of water for 5-10 minutes until they were tender. Then I drained them and stirred in about a teaspoon of sugar and a good sprinkling of ground cinnamon (this is optional but I can't resist cinnamon at this time of year!).

The crumble topping is butter rubbed into plain flour. Some recipes say use twice as much flour as butter, but I like it a bit more buttery than that! I don't measure them, but as long as it's nice and crumbly, the amounts don't matter too much. When it's rubbed into a breadcrumb texture, add sugar to taste. I think I did about three tablespoons last night but I was using up the end of a packet - I often use a bit less. I like Demerara sugar to give it a bit of a crunch, but any sugar works. You can also mix in a handful or two of oats for a different texture.

Then assemble into an oven-proof dish, with the apple at the bottom and the crumble sprinkled evenly on top, and bake for 20-30 minutes until it's golden brown on top. I cook at about 170C but I'm afraid I don't know what that is in Fahrenheit! About the temperature you'd use for a cake, or just a little cooler? A medium setting, anyway.

Serve with custard, cream or ice cream!

2sunshines 11-02-2018 07:07 AM

that sounds delicious!

Laurlor 11-02-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6160956)
We had 50 people come by our house last night. This is our fifth year to set up our fire pit in the front yard with seating and we serve hot chocolate, popcorn, and, of course, candy. So much fun!

That's such a great idea, and such a great way to be neighborly! We don't have sidewalks so we are lucky to get 2-3 trick or treaters :(.

simplegirl 11-02-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6160623)
Rice on Sunday evenings after church has become a tradition in our house - you can top it with whatever you can find! :)

This is a fantastic idea!

Our city moved its ToT this year to the evening before because we were supposed to get torrential rain...which did happen.

I'm in a funk...usually I'm happy, upbeat and easy-going but I have drama going on in at least 5 different areas in my life. It is really strange! I don't want to be the Debbie Downer of the thread...so carry on!

charla 11-02-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplegirl (Post 6161059)
I'm in a funk...usually I'm happy, upbeat and easy-going but I have drama going on in at least 5 different areas in my life. It is really strange! I don't want to be the Debbie Downer of the thread...so carry on!

:hugheart

heartofjoy 11-02-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicki_T (Post 6160948)

I'm so tired! The driving went fine. The 8 moms are exhausting. The drama could be worse, but we have some major personality conflicts. Also, our coach is keeping us busy! And I'm not getting enough sleep.

I hurt my knee driving up here. 14 hours split over 2 days. Sunday we drive back 14 hours straight. Please pray that I survive!!!

I think Joanna is having fun. She's playing awesome. They made it into the gold bracket and their goal was silver. Their coach didn't think they'd win any games today and they won 2/3!

Today is the 1st anniversary of mil's death. I am sad that I'm not with my husband and the rest of my kids today. I miss her.

2sunshines 11-03-2018 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplegirl (Post 6161059)

:hugheart I'm sorry. :( I'm praying for you! Feel free to vent the ups AND downs here in this thread. We can simultaneously handle both. :heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6161126)
Today is the 1st anniversary of mil's death. I am sad that I'm not with my husband and the rest of my kids today. I miss her.

:hugheart

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

So... . what are everyone's weekend plans?

This is our first weekend in a while with NO cross country meet for the high schoolers!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE cross country season and LOVE watching them run, but am also really glad when it's done. I love having nothing scheduled on the weekends. :heart

Not sure what we'll do. Hopefully get a lot of the final prep for winter yard work and leaf raking done.

Laurlor 11-03-2018 06:07 AM

After 16 years at our old church, we've been at a new church since January.... Last night I had signed up to go to dinner for a "Table for Four" with three ladies I'd never met. I was kind of dreading it because I was tired and feeling introverted, but it was actually really nice! They all knew each other well, but were very inclusive and friendly :). It really helps me just to have faces I can say hi to on Sunday.

Today DH and I are going away just for the day to celebrate both of our birthdays. We don't have a firm plan, but we wanted to go hiking in the mountains and are hoping to see some fall colors (which is a long shot because we live in S. CA and it was 87 here yesterday)....but maybe in the mountains? We may also go wine tasting at a nearby town. We're not big drinkers, but doing something "adult" without the kids just sounds fun.

Family birthday party on Sunday, and chili cookout at church that night!

charla 11-03-2018 10:32 AM

My son is home from college last night and today. It is good to have him home for awhile. :heart
I'm writing a curriculum on emotions for our children's ministry and am hoping to start it tomorrow night. I don't have it quite done, but I do have tomorrow's lesson ready. :nails

Vicki_T 11-03-2018 12:29 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your MIL, Desiree, and I hope your knee recovers quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6161144)

So... . what are everyone's weekend plans?

This is our first weekend in a while with NO cross country meet for the high schoolers!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE cross country season and LOVE watching them run, but am also really glad when it's done. I love having nothing scheduled on the weekends. :heart

Not sure what we'll do. Hopefully get a lot of the final prep for winter yard work and leaf raking done.

Our weekend is half over now! The DC had activities this morning, then we went bowling and for dinner with my sister and her dh, which was good fun!

Laurie, I would have been so nervous about that too, so I'm glad it went well :) I hope you enjoyed your day trip too.

Charla, you must be so glad to have your DS home for the night!

marbles 11-03-2018 02:52 PM

I have no plans at all for the weekend and I love it! Just laying around enjoying the finally nice weather.

2sunshines 11-03-2018 05:25 PM

Laurie, how was your day out with the hubby?

We had a nice quiet day. Dh and I left the house before the kids even got out of bed (which wasn't hard since our kids are getting old and take full advantage of sleep in days which are fairly rare ;) ). Went out for coffee. Drove around town. Checked out a local craft bazaar.

This afternoon dh and ds17 took care of all the lawn work in preparation for winter.

Then tonight we just chilled and watch a few shows on streaming.

I'm ready for bed!