Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Has Anyone Read this Blog? Razing Ruth... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=349221)

NewLeaf 03-08-2010 06:47 PM

Re: Has Anyone Read this Blog? Razing Ruth...

Does anyone know what TWOP is?

DoulaClara 03-08-2010 06:58 PM

Television Without Pity. A message board that has been around virtually forever, very famous for its biting wit, sarcasm, hilarious posters, and "No soup for you" style of administration.

ReedleBeetle 03-08-2010 08:28 PM

Have you read the comments? It appears her dad has come on and commented. Shows it as she says it really. Assuming it is her dad. It is the internet after all. I think it is though.

NewLeaf 03-08-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaClara (Post 2947590)
Television Without Pity. A message board that has been around virtually forever, very famous for its biting wit, sarcasm, hilarious posters, and "No soup for you" style of administration.

I'm confused about what that has to do with this woman and Gothard. :scratch (I'm prepared to be thoroughly :O by the obvious answer).

allisonintx 03-08-2010 09:22 PM

It's been years since I felt so compelled by a blog, or wanted to scoop someone up and rock her, and pet her hair, and take her clothes shopping, even though she's a grown woman :shifty

I have worked with a LOT of ATI midwifery trainees, and what I've seen from them, this blog is 'spot-on zero exaggeration' I was always sad for those girls, and saw a few escape their parents home through midwifery training.

SortaCrunchy 03-08-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewLeaf (Post 2947847)
I'm confused about what that has to do with this woman and Gothard. :scratch (I'm prepared to be thoroughly :O by the obvious answer).

the way I understand it, there was a big thread on TwoP about the Duggars and apparently Ruth was a contributor to the discussion there. Then she started her blog as a cathartic and therapeutic way to tell others what life was like for her in an ATI/Gothard family. I think she felt frustrated by the Shiny Happy People Holding Hands image of the Duggars on TLC and wanted to tell fans and critics of the show what her experience was in a family that practices the same approach to religion. (It has been established that the Duggars are ATI people.)

BlessedBlue 03-09-2010 05:24 AM

Has anyone invited her over to GCM, yet?

DoulaClara 03-09-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlessedBlue (Post 2948077)
Has anyone invited her over to GCM, yet?

I emailed her over the weekend. She responded a day or so later, thanking me and saying she would check it out. She seems pretty busy- she's putting herself through college and appears to blog fairly frequently, so I'm not sure if she would have time or want to join, but since UPP is public, I'm hoping she sees this and at least realizes that 1) she has many people praying for her, and 2) that this isn't an "either or" situation- Christian parenting/motherhood/women-hood isn't defined by Gothard or anyone, really, and that scripturally, there is a sound base for gentleness and common sense.

amyhntr2 03-09-2010 07:36 PM

Thank you for this thread! I have been on her blog for the past day and half every free moment I've had. I just finished reading it all, and most of the comments.
I started telling my husband about some of the things she's been through at the hand of Bill Gothard's ministry and teachings. That name rang a bell with him and come to find out the tech school he went to in Texas is a part of ATI!! :jawdrop It's called ALERT Acadamy and Ruth referenced it once in her blog and it made me wonder if it was the same one DH went to. DH has no connection to that ministry in any other way and just happened to get enrolled in the tech school after someone put his parents in contact with it somehow. I asked him if he ever witnessed anything like this, but he wasn't actually around any of the families, just the kids that were part of the school. But they were almost all very very sheltered homeschoolers.

allisonintx 03-09-2010 07:49 PM

ATI owns an old hotel in downtown Dallas, and I was interviewed by their midwifery school coordinators there, once, as a potential preceptor for their program. Very creepy, that place.

Karen 03-10-2010 05:38 AM

I agree that her blog is sad but it also has joy and inspiration. She is rebuilding her life from ashes. I know her father has been threatening her yet she still perseveres. That is amazing considering the controlling ultra Patriarchy movement she was raised in. I think she is an amazing young woman.

duckwithoneleg 03-11-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReedleBeetle (Post 2947774)
Have you read the comments? It appears her dad has come on and commented. Shows it as she says it really. Assuming it is her dad. It is the internet after all. I think it is though.

if it is her pops, i am :cry :sick :mad for her! i can't believe it! if my dad ever said anything to me like that even one time, i think i'd never recover. :cry bless her heart! :heart :pray4 :cry

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonintx (Post 2947852)
It's been years since I felt so compelled by a blog, or wanted to scoop someone up and rock her, and pet her hair, and take her clothes shopping, even though she's a grown woman :shifty

THIS. (even though she's ... my exact age :giggle)

duckwithoneleg 03-11-2010 05:34 PM

ok i just finished reading the whole thing, comments and all :phew

BLESS HER HEART!!!! it just makes me so so sad to know that God is so horribly misrepresented :cry

not that i didn't already know that.

but ya know...

it's the little grains of truth that are mixed in that i think make it SO TOXIC.
awe and her poor mom! :heart

amyhntr2 03-11-2010 08:09 PM

She has two new posts since the last time I read a couple days ago. Her dad posted again too...wow. The deception that he is engulfed in is intense.

FebFaith 03-12-2010 03:54 PM

I can't find the comments. I would like to read what her dad has to say. I am so glad and happy for her to be starting over. Praying for her.

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

ok, found the comments...