Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Entrees / Main Dishes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=541)
-   -   Whole Fryer -- Do I have to take stuff out of it's B*tt? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=289586)

2sunshines 01-21-2009 06:21 AM

Re: Whole Fryer -- Do I have to take stuff out of it's B*tt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gentlemommy
Quote:

Originally Posted by krysmh
I might have to try cooking one and not rinsing. I seriously doubt my husband would notice (and he's the only one who will eat it.) :giggle

Yeah, go for it! :clap :rockon I'm totally skeeved by the thought of all those germs all over my sink too. I'd have to disinfect for a looooooong time until I felt "safe" again. I've never noticed any taste difference. I have perfected the art of cooking a whole chicken without ever touching it raw. :lol I hate touching raw chicken. :shiver

See, I'm more skeeved out by the thought of all those hands that I KNOW have touched that chicken during the butchering, cleaning, packaging, etc. :sick The idea of NOT washing it is grosser to me than the thought of having chicken germs in my sink... :sick

FindingMyWay 01-21-2009 06:23 AM

Walmart sells the bird without the giblets or whatever its called, that's what I buy 'cause I think it's gross too!

MamaPepper 01-21-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHERNON
Walmart sells the bird without the giblets or whatever its called, that's what I buy 'cause I think it's gross too!

GREAT to know!!! THANKS!

domesticzookeeper 01-21-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines
See, I'm more skeeved out by the thought of all those hands that I KNOW have touched that chicken during the butchering, cleaning, packaging, etc. :sick The idea of NOT washing it is grosser to me than the thought of having chicken germs in my sink... :sick

Good point :think

We just give the giblets, chicken necks, etc. to our cats. They LOVE them :shifty

Rabbit 01-21-2009 01:05 PM

There are no studies or data showing people getting salmonella from their sinks. It usually takes an unwashed container used to hold the raw meat then used without washing for something else.

rstump 01-21-2009 01:10 PM

We get out chickens straight from the farm so I absolutely rinse my chicken (not scrubbing under the arms..but a quick rinse) and sometimes have to pluck a few feathers.

Katydid 01-21-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines

Good point :think

We just give the giblets, chicken necks, etc. to our cats. They LOVE them :shifty

:ot but do you cut them up at all or can they handle them whole? And do they eat the bones and all, too? I've cut up the liver for my cats before and they love that, but I never thought of giving the rest of that stuff to them too. :think

domesticzookeeper 01-21-2009 01:44 PM

We give it to them whole, but they're already used to eating large chunks of meat in their food. *Raw* bones are fine to eat, as it's cooking that makes them brittle and prone to slivers. Raw chicken necks in particular are excellent for cleaning the teeth (turkey necks do the same for dogs) :tu And chicken hearts are very high in taurine; the cats think they're treats :)

krysmh 01-22-2009 01:11 AM

Chicken grosses me out period, :sick which is why I'm vegetarian and touch the stuff only out of adoration for my carnivorous better half. :lol

I'm freaky about my kitchen sink.

herbalwriter 03-30-2009 08:11 PM

This entire thread killed me! I really needed the laugh.

There's hope - I used to be really skeevy about touching raw chicken. But I have gone from totally skeeved to plucking and cleaning a just-killed bird. Hang in there, MamaPepper! And keep your chicken's armpits clean!

MamaPepper 03-30-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbalwriter
This entire thread killed me! I really needed the laugh.

There's hope - I used to be really skeevy about touching raw chicken. But I have gone from totally skeeved to plucking and cleaning a just-killed bird. Hang in there, MamaPepper! And keep your chicken's armpits clean!

Haha!!!!! :lol I totally forgot about this thread!!! You know. . I haven't tried to cook a whole fryer since this; the last time was so. . .traumatic!! :giggle

hopeforchange 03-30-2009 08:41 PM

:haha

ok i totally missed this thread the first time around! two things...i only made the mistake of buying a chicken with giblets in it once. now i always make sure i get the ones without the giblets! also, most of the time, dh does the chicken cooking and then picks the meat off the bones for me. :heart

RubySlippers 03-30-2009 10:39 PM

Gloves, people! Use gloves!
At least that's what I do and I never have to touch the raw chicken, or hamburger meat, or anything else.
I know it's not great for the environment (tossing surgical type gloves), but I seriously have a problem with touching raw meat.

Blue Savannah 03-30-2009 10:48 PM

I :heart this thread. E, I :heart you, too. :giggle

MamaPepper 03-31-2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Savannah
I :heart this thread. E, I :heart you, too. :giggle

Hehe. . . Thank you :heart I'm always happy to amuse!!!! ;)