Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Breakfast recipes that are quick and easy? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=446022)

Barefoot Bookworm 04-13-2012 08:19 AM

Breakfast recipes that are quick and easy?

My kids won't eat oatmeal or steel cut oats. They are getting burnt out on cereal and are always hungry 1.5 hours after breakfast if we do give them cereal. Eggs are usually good for them. Any other ideas of things that will fill them up and keep them full until lunch?

bec28 04-13-2012 09:08 AM

Re: Breakfast recipes that are quick and easy?

Have you tried baked oatmeal? It has a much different texture, and you could make it the night before.

Muffins, smoothies, frozen egg burritos or sandwiches.

thrillofhope 04-13-2012 10:34 AM

I'm not sure whether I should say this, because it's not going to be helpful. :blush :bag :shifty

But I'm hungry about 2 hours after breakfast no matter what I eat. :shrug If I eat cereal it only takes about 10 minutes. They may need a little snack between breakfast and lunch.

ShangriLewis 04-13-2012 12:25 PM

I would encourage a snack, too.

Pancakes with bananas and nut butter.
Breakfast tacos or burritos
Tofu or egg scramble
Gravy and biscuits
Quiche
Leftovers
Rice bowls with rice, greens, and an egg or whatever on top
Smoothies with oats or protein powder
Chia pudding

mrsd 04-14-2012 07:47 PM

Yogurt with fruit-bananas are filling.

ShangriLewis 04-14-2012 07:50 PM

That reminds me...

Breakfast banana split. Slice the banana and top with yoghurt. Then top with sundae like stuff. granola, fruits etc. sprinkles if your a nice mommy;)

Barefoot Bookworm 04-14-2012 07:58 PM

Thanks! We usually do have a snack but I'm hoping to stretch it out at least a little longer. They've been begging for a snack about 40 minutes after breakfast these days. I think a heavier breakfast will help with that.

HuggaBuggaMommy 04-15-2012 08:48 PM

No one really likes the texture of oatmeal here, either, but we do like the oats uncooked with milk (nut/dairy/coconut) and raisins.

We aren't big breakfast food people; we just eat whatever whenever. Dd loves beans and will eat them any time of the day. Avocado is a big hit; dd eats it cubed, ds eats it as guacamole with homemade pita chips (I love these garlic flax/millet chips I get at my local HFS, and I eat mashed avocado with those.) Rice-custard pudding (so it's egg rich, and I take the sugar waaaaaaaaaaay down); brown rice and beans; breakfast burritos (we like ours with refried beans, black beans, salsa and cheese for ds/dh; also with beans, eggs, cheese, peppers/onions).

I am sooooo not a breakfast eater, but dd and dh need protein-heavy breakfasts, so I understand.

Like others mentioned, we also snack before lunch. Dd eats around 7:30 a.m., has a snack at 10 and then lunch at noon. Ds just eats all day. :giggle

LeeDee 04-15-2012 08:59 PM

One which might seem weird as a breakfast - we often do a fruit crumble. Apples and pears or whatever, then oats and cinnamon and honey or sugar on top. Bake it for a wee bit, serve with yogurt on top. I know it seems like a dessert, but it's got fruit and oats and yogurt - can't be that bad for you, right? Kids love it.

Or scrambled egg on toast, bit of cheese on top, stick it in the broiler for a few seconds to melt the cheese, then stick another piece of toast on top (my kids add ketchup first). Always a good one when we're in a hurry.

Recently I discovered almonds as a cereal. I'm sure it's mega high calorie and I haven't kid tested it yet, because my husband and I scarfed the lot before they had a chance. I pulsed almonds with vanilla, cinammon, nutmeg and sugar a few times until course ground. Then toasted on the chicken fryer until fragrant and slightly crunchy. Cooled, then serve in a bowl with cream and honey. Indulgent for sure. You could do it with milk and sugar like cereal instead.

Also, rice cereal (yes, adults can eat it too). I toast the rice, then course grind it in the grain grinder, cook it for a long time on low, in boiling water with plenty milk and a bit of cardamom, then I push it all through the homogenizer and it's sooo creamy. We eat it sweet too, because in case you couldn't tell, we're not entirely unsinful when it comes for food...

You can also do rice pudding, make it the night before then serve it cold with some preserves mixed in.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

Oh and french toast is usually much quicker and easier than pancakes. Kids always love it.

HuggaBuggaMommy 04-16-2012 07:21 AM

We also do pizza. Sometimes it's "breakfast pizza" - dairy or non-dairy cheese, meat or meat-free sausage crumbles, sometimes sauce and/or eggs on a crust. Other times it's just "pizza for breakfast." :shifty