Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Natural equivalent to Benadryl? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=192716)

me 02-22-2007 12:16 PM

Natural equivalent to Benadryl?

I was reading a previous thread and wondered if you guys could tell me all the natural things my kids and I could take before reaching for the Benadryl?
We have some pretty bad allergies and can't always avoid the triggers.....
Thanks!!!!

hbmamma 02-22-2007 12:39 PM

Re: Natural equivalent to Benadryl?

ooooh - I'd be interested too
:popcorn :shifty

happyhousewife 02-22-2007 12:40 PM

Oh me too. I just posted about my little Aaron. He is having a time!! :(

cobluegirl 02-22-2007 07:22 PM

Natural equivalent to Benadryl?

What are you wanting to use it for? I dont' know if anything that is a natural replacement for benedryl..

me 02-23-2007 09:24 AM

I know there are lots of stuff that can help the symptoms to an allergic reaction but since most of them my kids are allergic to themselves I was hoping there was something I could feed them that would help their body as it was going through the reaction.

I dont want them to develop a resistance to Benadryl since they are having to take it so much while we are trying to figure things out.
I think I read in passing here that garlic and Vitamin C might be one of those things (antihistimines) but I wanted to be sure and see if there was anything else.

It would be nice to be able to just add lots of garlic and up there Vitamin C so if they eat something unknown that causes a reaction their body will be able to get over the reaction easier, saving me from having to give them a tsp of benadryl.

Im not trying to hide the symptoms to an allergic reaction to continue feeding them the allergin but trying to make the symptoms not so hard on them until I can figure out the allergin.Kwim? Symptoms being the usual allergic reactions to foods.

Then I could save the Benadryl for the tight throat only instead of for the allergy fits they get where they have no control over their pottying, stomach pains, headaches, itchiness, rashes, blisters, hives,etc........

I hope im typing this out right, kids are kind of everywhere right now :O

Chris3jam 02-23-2007 09:34 AM

I would focus on getting their digestive systems on track. . . killing the 'bad' bacteria and feeding the 'good'. Garlic is good, and probiotics. Do have some really good aloe vera? That helps.

me 02-23-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris3jam
I would focus on getting their digestive systems on track. . . killing the 'bad' bacteria and feeding the 'good'. Garlic is good, and probiotics. Do have some really good aloe vera? That helps.

What causes bad bacteria? Can you tell me why one takes probiotics? I would like to naturally, with food, achieve the same results if possible.
We already eat everything from scratch so I can control what they eat and know exactly what it is they are eating.

I have to be very careful with garlic because that is one of our allergins....

How does Aloe Vera help? I really like aloe for the skin, never thought of it helping allergies? I tasted aloe once and it wasnt very tasty :giggle

Chris3jam 02-23-2007 10:31 AM

Probiotics are in naturally fermented foods, like yogurts, sauerkraut, etc. The 'bad' bacteria feed off the simple sugars, so limiting them is a good idea. You have to be careful with Aloe Vera. . . not all of it is good.. . .it has to be 'processed' properly. But, Aloe will actually help with soothing the digestive system, and help with clearing out the bad beasties.