Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   What are your go-to vegetarian meals? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=429497)

thrillofhope 11-08-2011 11:49 AM

What are your go-to vegetarian meals?

I'm leaning toward vegetarianism (ish?)... anyway, I don't know quite where I'm going with it yet, but I'd really like to transition to a more plant-based diet as I figure things out.

So what are your go-to veg meals? I need ideas for quick things I can have when everyone else is eating meat. Either easy-cook things or microwavable foods. Also, lunch box ideas. I usually only get about five minutes for lunch at work when I factor in pumping time, and it's really hard for me to snarf down a salad that fast.

Thanks ladies!

ETA: They need to be easy on the soy, too. For example: a little soy sauce is okay, tofu isn't. Clear as mud?

tinybutterfly 01-06-2012 03:27 PM

Re: What are your go-to vegetarian meals?

Hi! I just joined the forum and am like you, thinking about veg.

I have a couple of recipes I like that are vegetarian ( or I have changed to BE vegetarian.)

I'll post them for you.

2 cups lentils
Olive oil
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 medium onion, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
4 cups water
2 tbsp. minced parsley
1 tbsp. salt.
1 tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 ( @ 20 oz.) can whole tomatoes
1 stalk celery, sliced

Measure lentils into a large saucepan, cover with cold water and heat to boiling. Boil uncovered for 2 minutes; remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Meanwhile, add garlic powder, onion, carrot and celery to olive oil, cook and stir over medium heat @ 5 minutes or until celery is tender. Stir into lentils. Add water, and seasonings. cut up tomatoes and add with the liquid from the can to the rest of the ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.

I changed this recipe and left out the bacon and chicken bouillion that it originally called for.

Than there is this one, honey-baked lentils. I use 1/4 tsp. dried ginger.

http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/...d-lentils.html

Neither of these are super easy or quick, but once you make them then you have lots to freeze or use.

Go to things when I don't want meat are grilled cheese sandwich, fried egg sandwich, eggs cooked any way, peanut butter and honey on whole wheat bread, a cheese and tomato sandwich, a veggie sub from Subway :P~ , I don't like hummus,but ds#1 used to and it was quick and easy to serve with pita and cut up veggies, Fantastic refried beans and cheese in a tortilla, salad ( I LOVE salads) I used to eat veggie burgers ( garden burger brand) I used to make quick fried rice with just veggies when I was in college, but haven't made it in years...pasta with jarred marinara sauce is quick, grilled portabello mushroom sandwich...that's all I can think of off-hand.

OH, little muffins or bagels with spaghetti sauce, marinara sauce or pizza sauce, then cheese, other veg toppings you like...tiny pizzas.

Snacks I like cheese, nuts, cut up veggies, fresh fruit or dried fruit.

If I do this someday, I will probably do ovo-lacto.

itzj 01-06-2012 04:11 PM

Fastest for me is to sautee whatever veggies I've got with olive oil and garlic. Then toss with angel hair pasta. Top with parmesan or romano.

Other fast is a frittata. Spray pan well, sautee garlic and whatever veg in olive oil. Add some salt. Meanwhile beat 3-4 eggs in a bowl for a small one. Sometimes I beat in parmesan too. When veggies are tender pour in eggs. Cook to set bottom then pop under brolier till golden and set.

teamommy 01-06-2012 08:00 PM

Couscous ( while it probably isn't the healthiest grain choice, it's pasta) is super quick cooking to put together for lunches or a quick meal. When I used to eat it a lot, I'd put a little oil and some herbs, chopped up tomatoes and other vegetables I had lying around.

Quesadillas with beans are also quick.

For lunches, sandwiches are fast. Either with nut butters, or sliced avocado or hummus, tomato, lettuce, and tomato. Roasted vegetables take a little longer but make a great sandwich. Hummus with cut up vegetables. Quinoa with vegetables and nuts or seeds.

I make a lot of things that aren't as fast, but can be prepared ahead and heated up (like bean and vegetable soups). Or make a double portion of something, so that there is enough for dinner and lunch the next day. Or I freeze the extra portion if we don't feel like eating it again right away.

You could try green smoothies. They can be quite filling, depending on what you put in them, and enough for a meal.

Firebird Rising 01-11-2012 11:32 PM

Potatoes. I fill up a big pot of them, add water, parboil and then stick in frying pan or roast, until they're nice, brown and toasty. I eat them all day.