Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   I was an idiot and used bleach (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=328227)

Heather Micaela 10-16-2009 02:40 AM

I was an idiot and used bleach

I am TOTALY anti bleach but I was icked out by the state of our bath toys and creeped out by the black mold in our shower cracks :shiver And I was jsut afraid vinegar would not cut it. (getting al germ phoby. Want to kill something - use POISON, not FOOD :rolleyes)
So I spent a buck on a small bottle of bleach and filled the tub with water and some bleach and let the toys sit. And I sprayed the shower with bleach and water anywhere I saw a black spot

I let it sit over a day with it well vented.

BUt I forgot I had to come back and rinse it all down real well. NOw my eyes and nose are BURNING :dohAnd that was with the winow open

At least the toys are mold and scum free and the tub/shower is *better*

Next time though I will use vinegar

momofsuper6 10-16-2009 03:18 AM

Re: I was an idiot and used bleach

Your not dumb.... I don't usually like Bleach in my house but if it was black mold I would be tempted myself! As long as it is rinsed off and aired out, you'll be able to maintain it now so you won't need bleach again! :D

DavidKelleyMay18 10-16-2009 04:11 AM

I wash my white blinds in the tub with blinds. Thanks for the reminder to rinse really well afterwards. Isn't a clean tub a good feeling? I'm sorry initially it wasn't good w/burning eyes and all.

tempus vernum 10-16-2009 04:42 AM

:hugheart I have done that. . . :doh

I decided to use vinegar with tto and hydrogen peroxide next time. . . maybe some thieves oil too :giggle I will probably end up blowing up the bathroom :haha because I am so determined to not use bleach again. . . Actually, I really decided to avoid a next time by keeping my bathroom cleaner :shifty but it's not working that well. I may get a chance to try that concoction soon :P~

:hug

Drew 10-16-2009 07:45 AM

:hug I rarely use bleach (like maybe once a year) but sometimes I see something gross enough that only bleach will do.

Herbwifemama 10-16-2009 07:48 AM

I did that, and it was smack in the middle of dd's pregnancy! Like that's a great time to use bleach. :P I was just sick of looking at the mildew in our bathtub. I've since found that straight bleach doesn't do much against the mildew, but this tub and tile cleaner I've got that's super toxic and bleachy smelling will. I just have to spray, vent the room, walk away, and come back 5 mins later and rinse it. Minimal exposure that way, but it's still a bummer that that's the only thing I've found that works against mildew. :crazy2

klpmommy 10-16-2009 07:49 AM

next time you might try hydrogen perxoide instead of vinegar. It's worked really well on mold for me in our bathroom.

Heather Micaela 10-16-2009 05:39 PM

I will have to try the peroxide :yes
I am glad it is rather clean though.

believer 10-16-2009 06:18 PM

Well, I learned that you should not mix two different kinds of toilet cleaner in the toilet - like when one bottle runs out and you squirt in some from another because one might have bleach and I guess the other had ammonia or something and man - the fumes :sick - I immediately turned on the vent fan, but I think whatever those two chemicals were that I mixed should not be mixed. :no

Hermana Linda 10-16-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by believer (Post 2633392)
Well, I learned that you should not mix two different kinds of toilet cleaner in the toilet - like when one bottle runs out and you squirt in some from another because one might have bleach and I guess the other had ammonia or something and man - the fumes :sick - I immediately turned on the vent fan, but I think whatever those two chemicals were that I mixed should not be mixed. :no

Please, please be careful. :nails Mixing bleach and ammonia produces a toxic gas. And I do mean toxic. Venomous, like it can kill you, toxic. :nails

Leslie_JJKs_mom 10-16-2009 06:24 PM

I had those vapors come up once. I had bleach tabs in the toilet tank and thought it was all gone so I poured some toilet cleaner in the toilet. This eerie vapor started to come out of the toilet. Good thing I was able to ventilate the bathroom very easily and the garden hose reached the toilet.

klpmommy 10-16-2009 06:59 PM

bleach & ammonia mixed make chlorine gas.

I was going to include some info on what can happen, but it is really sensitive, so I won't. Just really, don't even risk it.

Really there are a lot of reasons why I decided to go to natural cleaners, but the fact that bleach & ammonia are such common ingredients & are never supposed to be mixed was definately a factor.

Heather Micaela 10-16-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klpmommy (Post 2633548)
bleach & ammonia mixed make chlorine gas.

I was going to include some info on what can happen, but it is really sensitive, so I won't. Just really, don't even risk it.

Really there are a lot of reasons why I decided to go to natural cleaners, but the fact that bleach & ammonia are such common ingredients & are never supposed to be mixed was definately a factor.

Now that I know. That is why I hated having bleach in the house with dh wanting to use it on pee accidents and such

believer 10-16-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermana Linda (Post 2633406)
Please, please be careful. :nails Mixing bleach and ammonia produces a toxic gas. And I do mean toxic. Venomous, like it can kill you, toxic. :nails

I certainly believe it could be toxic because - woah - that stuff was nasty. I do use the simple green cleaner for many things and vinegar for many others, but for sinks and toilets and tubs I feel like I need bleach to kill the germs and get rid of mildew and mold. I have been very careful about toilet cleaner and not mixing it with anything else since then though.