Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Seeking ADHD diagnosis (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527202)

SewingGreenMama 06-01-2019 11:14 AM

Seeking ADHD diagnosis

For me.
I don't even know where to start. I just know that I need help and I've recently discovered that my symptoms check all the ADHD boxes both now and in childhood.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

knitlove 06-01-2019 01:26 PM

Re: Seeking ADHD diagnosis

I walked in to the nurse practitioner that I was seeing for other things layed down a list of sysmotoms from a check list like that, and a list of all the things I was doing to compensate and said I need more help.

He talked to me and gave me a diagnosis and a perscrption for meds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SewingGreenMama 06-01-2019 01:38 PM

That's what I was thinking. Though I'm hoping she can give me a referral to a therapist who works with ADHD adults. I'm not interested in meds yet. Not until we are done having kids. Not taking the risk with pharmaceuticals since I think I can manage my symptoms with therapy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

MaySunflowers 06-01-2019 02:35 PM

I recently tried to get referred for a diagnosis in the UK (I was diagnosed twice in Canada but my medical records from there no longer exist). Can you believe my gp said he had no clue just try getting a job and see how it goes! I went in saying my medical records no longer exist and it would help me to have resources like therapy to sort myself out... because after years of being sahm I just forget how I coped. I have no access to help without a diagnosis in the UK.

Here, anyway, a gp is supposed to make a referral to the right mental health practitioner for evaluation.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

WanderingJuniper 06-01-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6182190)
I walked in to the nurse practitioner that I was seeing for other things layed down a list of sysmotoms from a check list like that, and a list of all the things I was doing to compensate and said I need more help.

He talked to me and gave me a diagnosis and a perscrption for meds.

I am so incredibly jealous of how easy this was for you! I have been fighting for a dx and mess for my now 15 yo for 2 years with no luck. Mental health anything is not even touched at our family practice it’s ALL referred out.

knitlove 06-01-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper (Post 6182202)
I am so incredibly jealous of how easy this was for you! I have been fighting for a dx and mess for my now 15 yo for 2 years with no luck. Mental health anything is not even touched at our family practice it’s ALL referred out.

Well I currently am off my meds after the move and after one attempt to get a Dr here who couldn't perscribe my add drugs ( naturalapath Dr can't in Washington) I have haven't tried again. I have no idea how hard it will be to get things to work here.

WanderingJuniper 06-01-2019 06:17 PM

Praying it is smooth for you when you are ready to try again.

I am on break for a bit to refill my pen tank before trying all the phone calls and visits again.

lucie 06-01-2019 09:09 PM

My husband got a diagnosis a year ago. His GP referred him to a psychologist, who did really extensive testing, several hours several days. It was exhausting for him, but have him very good idea what his processing strengths and weaknesses are and ruled out other issues. He ended up with diagnosis of ADHD, social anxiety, and mild depression. He then started therapy with the same psychologist. Eventually he got interested in meds, so he had to go back to GP, who referred him to a psychiatrist. After a consult there, he had a list of recommended meds and a recommendation to see a cardiologist Went back to GP for referral. Then to cardiology, and now has another appointment with GP to actually get the meds. Needless to say, this process is awful for anyone, and much more so for a person who already struggles with scheduling things and then attending the appointments. So of course he missed some scheduled appointments and that made the process even longer. This is in WA state, BTW. But if you had a stimulant prescription before, the GP should be able to prescribe them at first appointment. I think my DH went to the psychiatrist because he felt the GP was too quick to prescribe, without taking into account all co-morbid conditions like his anxiety or heart medical history.
Either way, a GP is a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sparrow 06-02-2019 07:06 AM

Inwas diagnosed last summer
I went to our family doctor, he listened to my symptoms and he sent me to a psychiatrist for an official diagnoses. He did agree I probably did have it considering my symptoms and family history.
He asked if I wanted to try meds, I did. Cleared all the clouds!