Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   making granola without sugar? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=390720)

gardenfreshmama 01-01-2011 04:53 PM

making granola without sugar?

Dh and I are doing a 21-day vegan/daniel-type diet. I'm wanting to make some granola for our breakfast, but can't use any sugar/honey/molasses/maple syrup. I thought about toasting the oats/nuts/etc without any sweeteners, but didn't know if it would burn it? Anybody make their own granola without sweeteners?

TuneMyHeart 01-01-2011 04:56 PM

Re: making granola without sugar?

would xylitol work?

gardenfreshmama 01-01-2011 05:21 PM

Mmmm, I don't think so, since it's a sweetener, isn't it? Basically we're not supposed to have any sweeteners, like Daniel did. So I"m not looking for an alternate sweetener to use, just wondering if I can do it without? I could possibly use some fruit juice...

Serafine 01-01-2011 05:25 PM

Totally curiosity here... but do we know that his diet didn't have any sweeteners? I know it didn't have meat or wine (bc those were offered to idols) but is there more written to indicate that his vegetables didn't have sweeteners or other seasonings? Again... Just curious... Off to read. ;)

Eta: yep... Just went back and read Daniel... No evidence of no sweeteners that I can see. I am totally curious as to how someone came up with a "Daniel" diet that says no sweeteners at all. :popcorn. This stuff fascinates me.

cbmk4 01-01-2011 05:25 PM

I wouldn't know how to get it to stick together without some sort of sugar. I use honey when making mine. Fruit juice does have sugar in it, and I wonder if it would make the oats too soggy.

Apple-Saucy 01-01-2011 05:28 PM

use unsweetened applesauce...usually 1/2 cup or so works just enough to lightly moisten everything.

I've used something similar to this recipe with good results

Kiara.I 01-01-2011 06:44 PM

You could just make a muesli, which doesn't even need to stick together, and soak it overnight in almond milk. You could toss frozen or dried berries in the next morning.

However, I have to say, that wouldn't fit in a strict "Daniel Diet" either, if all they're assuming is the "vegetables". I think you're stuck with carrots, lettuce and eggplant for the duration. ;)

gardenfreshmama 01-02-2011 08:13 AM

Serafine... I believe they get the "no sugar" rule because it says he abstained from "precious" food... and that is assumed to be any sugar. Honestly, I think there are a lot of liberties taken from this passage, but oh well. It's going to be healthy for me, regardless :giggle

Applesaucey- thank you so much for the applesauce suggestion. I think I'll try that. And Kiera- I may try a muesli as well- great idea!