Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Anyone hand wash clothing? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=489371)

Mother of Sons 09-06-2013 07:33 PM

Anyone hand wash clothing?

I'm thinking about hand washing our clothes I've seen lots of different methods and gadgets and I was wondering if anyone has personal experience. What is your routine. Do you like it or hate it?

WI Mama05 09-06-2013 09:09 PM

Re: Anyone hand wash clothing?

Curious.....what have you seen?

Mother of Sons 09-06-2013 09:26 PM

A few so far. Wonder wash (turn crank pressure thing) bucket and plunger, bucket and plastic breathing plunger, scrubba (cool but $$$) giradora (awesome but not for sale yet) five gallon buckets in the trunk of the car. Last night we tried shaking a 1 gallon bucket. It worked :shrug a few homemade agitator type things and one really expensive one. Leg and I think?

Blue-EyedLady 09-06-2013 09:34 PM

I washed clothes in the bathtub when I was in Russia on a missions trip. I was REALLY glad to get home and use a washing machine!

I'm pretty sure my Grandparents had a laundry business back in the 30's and 40's where they washed with mechanical washing machines. I could ask my mom.

inesperada 09-06-2013 09:35 PM

I hand washed for a few months. I just agitated and scrubbed by hand in a large tub...it worked for us, and things were clean. I found it kind of soothing.

abh5e8 09-07-2013 09:59 AM

op, what is the reason behind hand washing? (just curious :))

RealLifeMama 09-07-2013 10:08 AM

We have a Wonder Wash, but I have never used it.
We bought it for camping, but then have not been on any trips long enough to need it.

milkmommy 09-07-2013 10:24 AM

Ive done it before. I hand washed diapers and many of our clothes back when we didn't have a washer dryer and couldn't afford multiple laundry mat runs. We had a wonderwash but it didn't really fit much I found I could get more done just using a tub and plunger.. It was doable but it took a TON of work and I was soooooo thankful when we got a washer again. It be okay doing it for a short season if I HAD to but no way would I make it an all the time thing.

Mother of Sons 09-07-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

op, what is the reason behind hand washing? (just curious )
Our washer broke over a year ago. We put off buying a new one because the house we are renting was put up for sale. We mainly do laundry at my moms but that is a half hour drive one way and we end up there all day which is fine but it would be nice to not have laundry so backed up all the time. So i figured if we at least hand washed shirts and socks and underwear it might help.

HadassahSukkot 09-07-2013 02:06 PM

I have before, but I used an old fashioned scrub board and hand agitated in the tub or sink.

When my washing machine came I was praising G-d.

milkmommy 09-07-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons (Post 5454109)
Our washer broke over a year ago. We put off buying a new one because the house we are renting was put up for sale. We mainly do laundry at my moms but that is a half hour drive one way and we end up there all day which is fine but it would be nice to not have laundry so backed up all the time. So i figured if we at least hand washed shirts and socks and underwear it might help.

:yes Something like a wonder wash could be good for something like that. It pretty easy to use.