Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   June Dinners (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523001)

bananacake 06-08-2017 02:04 PM

Re: June Dinners

I wonder if the meatballs would be good without the feta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 06-08-2017 02:07 PM

Today is Littlest's birthday, so I've been asking her what she wants to eat for dinner. Her response?
"Cake!"
"How about something for dinner? Can you pick something healthy?"
"I want ice cream and marshmallows and fwosting. Dat's what I want."

I tried all the usual things she'll eat (she's rather picky) and let the other girls weigh in. They decided on cheeseburgers and a salad. Littlest will probably eat some cheeseburger.

charla 06-08-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6088477)
I wonder if the meatballs would be good without the feta?

We adore feta so I haven't made them without it, but they are really flavorful with the red wine vinegar and seasonings. I think you should try it! And then let me know what you think. :yes

bananacake 06-08-2017 03:17 PM

Our local grocery had a "Buy theirs, get ours for free" sale throughout the summer. So in today's sale, if you buy Applegate grass fed beef hot dogs, you get store brand grass fed beef hot dogs for free. Since the boys finished up swim class today, we're celebrating with hot dogs and hamburgers.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6088479)
We adore feta so I haven't made them without it, but they are really flavorful with the red wine vinegar and seasonings. I think you should try it! And then let me know what you think. :yes

We can't do red wine vinegar either :doh Sulfite allergy. But I'm still going to try them!

ViolaMum 06-08-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6088480)

We can't do red wine vinegar either :doh Sulfite allergy. But I'm still going to try them!

How about lemon? Lemon, garlic, and oregano are classic Greek flavors. I'd add a bit more salt, too if you leave out the feta. The cheese will add a little bit of moisture as well, so you might want to compensate for that as well. (I add flax meal or grated or pureed veggies to meatballs to keep them from drying out. The breadcrumbs in Italian meatballs is what keeps them soft and moist. Low carb versions can be dry.)

bananacake 06-08-2017 04:07 PM

I often use egg and almond meal.

milkmommy 06-08-2017 04:30 PM

Yesterday was gf oven fried chicken with green beans and baked sweet potatos.

Today paprika roasted tempeh with Brussels sprouts onion and peppers
Gf chicken nuggets for Margaret.

2sunshines 06-08-2017 04:40 PM

Oh yes! Meatballs and meatloaf are SO forgiving! I don't even follow a recipe -- just add whatever I feel like it on a whim and it always turns out delicious. :rockon I mean, there are some basic rules but it's generally just a improv thing. I'm lucky tho because my whole family LOVES meatloaf and meatballs. So it's hard to go wrong. :shrug3

bananacake 06-08-2017 05:02 PM

We usually use 85% lean ground beef that is grassfed. That's also forgiving :yes We LOVE the Thai meatballs I've mentioned several times.

charla 06-08-2017 05:44 PM

I think a little grated zucchini in the meatballs would be fabulous to add some moisture in place of the feta. I love the lemon idea. I might try that next time I make them.

LilacPhoenix 06-09-2017 07:59 AM

Last night was tilapia cooked in the grill pan and winter blend veggies.

ViolaMum 06-09-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6088506)
Oh yes! Meatballs and meatloaf are SO forgiving! I don't even follow a recipe -- just add whatever I feel like it on a whim and it always turns out delicious. :rockon I mean, there are some basic rules but it's generally just a improv thing. I'm lucky tho because my whole family LOVES meatloaf and meatballs. So it's hard to go wrong. :shrug3

Absolutely! The only meatballs I've made that haven't turned out well were the batch I made a couple of weeks ago. I jumped on the trend of using sausage - used a lean turkey sausage and cooked everything in the crockpot. The tomato sauce was fantastic, but the meatballs turned out tough. The kids liked them, so :shrug3 but I'm definitely going to tweak the recipe next time. (I think all the fat in the sausage ended up in the sauce.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6088509)
We usually use 85% lean ground beef that is grassfed. That's also forgiving :yes We LOVE the Thai meatballs I've mentioned several times.

That'll do it. Fat is flavor!

It's funny, how pretty much every culture has a traditional meatball of some sort. Those Thai meatballs look great :yum I've gotta try them. My mom's family (Scandinavian) makes Swedish meatballs, my dad's family makes Italian polpette that are half bread, then there's Egyptian Kofta, Mediterranean lamb meatballs, the Japanese have a version that I forget the name of. I've even seen some made with fish. I'll bet if we all put our heads together we could come up with a month's worth - different flavors for each day!

LilacPhoenix 06-09-2017 09:37 AM

My boyfriend and I are having sushi tonight with an old friend of his who is in town visiting :-)

Laurlor 06-09-2017 10:03 AM

Last night we had spicy shrimp tacos with garlic cilantro lime slaw with a mexican salad. I also made a fresh strawberry cake for dessert (but halved the recipe and just made one layer).

2sunshines 06-09-2017 05:34 PM

I only had half my family home for dinner tonight so we did simple. Meatball subs with fruit salad and raw veggies and dip for dinner. :heart