Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Let's talk about how to clean. (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527877)

kiloyd 12-17-2019 11:41 AM

Let's talk about how to clean.

What tools do you like to use to clean your white baseboards? Just a wet cloth?

What do you like to use to clean tile showers? What cleaner and what tool? I currently use one of those sponges with the green scrubber on one side with Softscrub spray cleanser. And I don't do it often, for some reason I hate cleaning tubs and showers. I wipe down the sinks and toilets with disinfecting wipes every other week or so or as needed but I put off the shower.

Virginia 12-17-2019 02:34 PM

Re: Let's talk about how to clean.

Subbing.

I try to avoid chemical cleaners. I use Young Living thrives cleaner for a lot of stuff. I also use Dawn and vinegar for a lot of scrubbing stuff like our bathtub and shower (adding baking soda if I need a little bit of abrasion).

But I am not great at cleaning :shifty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegMarch 12-17-2019 03:59 PM

Baseboards - baby wipes. A friend told me, and it is great.

Tub stuff - I squirt dish soap and splash vinegar into a dry tub, then scrub the heck out of it with a broom. Add a little water, scrub more, then rinse with the shower sprayer.

Soliloquy 12-17-2019 04:04 PM

Damp microfiber cleans so many things. That's what I use for almost all surfaces.

I use a scotch blue scrubber or a magic eraser for tubs and showers.

I make a dilute vinegar spray with EOs for a general cleaning spray that I use on almost everything.

I do buy Bar Keeper's Friend for really tough jobs and for hard water deposits.

I use a steam mop on the floors.

I use baby wipes for quick bathroom cleanup.

Maleldil's daughter 12-17-2019 05:56 PM

I always use baby wipes for cleaning painted surfaces like baseboards, door frames, and doors. I'm also a big fan of the vinegar-Dawn mix for showers - equal parts in a spray bottle, spray thickly and leave for an hour, then scrub and rinse thoroughly.
For shining sinks and faucets I sometimes mix baking soda and peroxide into a paste - use gloves. It's good for stove drip pans too.

kiloyd 12-17-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6198395)
Subbing.

I try to avoid chemical cleaners. I use Young Living thrives cleaner for a lot of stuff. I also use Dawn and vinegar for a lot of scrubbing stuff like our bathtub and shower (adding baking soda if I need a little bit of abrasion).

But I am not great at cleaning :shifty

I gave up on natural cleaner for tubs and showers. But use vinegar/water/essential oil for some things.

I'm not a great cleaner either. I do dishes and laundry most every day. I do dusting now and then, I don't like it. I don't like the nitty gritty cleaning.

I do like the Swiffer Duster though. Used that yesterday on the kitchen chandelier.

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maleldil's daughter (Post 6198421)
I always use baby wipes for cleaning painted surfaces like baseboards, door frames, and doors. I'm also a big fan of the vinegar-Dawn mix for showers - equal parts in a spray bottle, spray thickly and leave for an hour, then scrub and rinse thoroughly.
For shining sinks and faucets I sometimes mix baking soda and peroxide into a paste - use gloves. It's good for stove drip pans too.

I do not miss having drip pans! Have glass top now.

Virginia 12-17-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6198423)
I gave up on natural cleaner for tubs and showers. But use vinegar/water/essential oil for some things.

I'm not a great cleaner either. I do dishes and laundry most every day. I do dusting now and then, I don't like it. I don't like the nitty gritty cleaning.

I do like the Swiffer Duster though. Used that yesterday on the kitchen chandelier.

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

I do not miss having drip pans! Have glass top now.

Because my daughter bathed in the tub, I am pretty adamant about not using chemicals in there. It’s easy to clean.

It’s my stand up shower with all the tile and grout I can’t get clean [emoji3525] Ugh. Maybe I do need to suck it up and use gross chemicals.

kiloyd 12-17-2019 06:48 PM

I keep disinfecting wipes in each bathroom and when needed I wipe off sink and toilet and maybe floor around toilet and baseboards too.

I love Fly Lady's saying "housework done incorrectly still blesses your home". :)

mummy2boys 12-17-2019 07:01 PM

I don't use commercial cleaners either. I use bicarb/vinegar/essential oils for everything.

I use microfibre cloths for dusting and use them damp to avoid spreading dust as I'm an asthmatic.

I use a combination of vinegar, lemon essential oil and clove oil to clean my shower. The commercial cleaners just "cover over" the mould/soap scum etc, that's why they keep coming back.

I do use some Dr Bronner's castile soap for more stubborn stains.

kiloyd 12-17-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6198425)
Because my daughter bathed in the tub, I am pretty adamant about not using chemicals in there. It’s easy to clean.

It’s my stand up shower with all the tile and grout I can’t get clean [emoji3525] Ugh. Maybe I do need to suck it up and use gross chemicals.

I hear you. I probably really only clean the tubs/showers maybe every 3 months, you know the deep down, scrub every corner cleaning. In my other house I was just sprinkling baking soda in my tub and scrubbing. When we moved out and I was really trying to clean it (fiber glass), I realized that the baking soda was not enough.

ECingMama 12-17-2019 09:54 PM

Clean My Space by Melissa Maker is a game changer

Earthmummy07 12-18-2019 03:11 AM

:up This!

ECingMama 12-18-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthmummy07 (Post 6198449)
:up This!

I’m glad you like it too!

I love how she tells you how long each chore takes. :)

knitlove 12-18-2019 11:34 AM

Ok is this a book or what?

Itsou da like something I need

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

I found it at my library

ECingMama 12-18-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6198478)
Ok is this a book or what?

Itsou da like something I need

Yes. Book. YouTube channel too

knitlove 12-18-2019 11:38 AM

Do I need to look at the book, are there charts or graphs? or can I listen to the audio book?

Virginia 12-18-2019 11:50 AM

Just went and bought some magic erasers because of this thread.
Yay for inspiration lol! :)

ECingMama 12-18-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6198489)
Do I need to look at the book, are there charts or graphs? or can I listen to the audio book?

It’s edited well. Yes, some charts. I’d listen to it once, yes.

Maleldil's daughter 12-19-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6198494)
Just went and bought some magic erasers because of this thread.
Yay for inspiration lol! :)

Ha! My preschooler drew on the school cabinet so I need to get some more too.

Soliloquy 12-19-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6198425)

Ideas:

Magic Erasers
Bar Keeper's Friend if the erasers don't work
Absolutely no bar soap. Bar soap is banned in my house.

Virginia 12-19-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6198602)
Ideas:

Magic Erasers

Bar Keeper's Friend if the erasers don't work

Absolutely no bar soap. Bar soap is banned in my house.

Thanks! The Magic eraser worked pretty well. I really wanted to avoid chemicals but it seems like it’s unavoidable.

I use bar soap to reduce our use of plastic ;) :shifty

ECingMama 12-19-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6198604)
Thanks! The Magic eraser worked pretty well. I really wanted to avoid chemicals but it seems like it’s unavoidable.

You use disposable diapers, right?
Just forgive yourself and buy liquid soap. Bar soap is awful for cleaning showers.

I use bar soap because I don’t care that
much about a sparkling shower and a disposable night diaper for the toddler. I didn’t
Use disposables at night with my big kids. This kiddo
Couldn’t handle the same cloth overnights as my big kids. This baby is the same one who had to be sink washed for the first two months because wipes irrirated her skin. I’ve hardly bought any wipes. Win-lose-win

We’re all doing something harmful and something helpful to God’s creation. :)

Soliloquy 12-22-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6198604)

This may not be everyone's cup of tea. But we use shampoo as body wash. There's not a difference, really. My local health food store has shampoo and liquid dish soap in bulk and you fill your own container. I've been using the same shampoo bottles since we moved here 6 years ago.

I don't like the hair conditioner they sell in bulk, unfortunately. But I'm going to try a conditioner bar that someone said they really liked. No plastic.

Virginia 12-22-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6198737)
This may not be everyone's cup of tea. But we use shampoo as body wash. There's not a difference, really. My local health food store has shampoo and liquid dish soap in bulk and you fill your own container. I've been using the same shampoo bottles since we moved here 6 years ago.

I don't like the hair conditioner they sell in bulk, unfortunately. But I'm going to try a conditioner bar that someone said they really liked. No plastic.

I’ve started looking into a shampoo bar and a conditioner bar :tu I love the idea of filling your own container too!

(I’m not going to stop using a bar soap I really like just because
it makes it a little harder to clean the shower :shifty)

The magic eraser worked pretty well. I’m going to ask DH to try the bar keeper cleaner stuff with a sturdy brush.

Soliloquy 12-22-2019 08:20 PM

Bar soap makes me itch terribly. That's why I stopped using it initially. When I realized it made the shower so much easier to clean I stopped buying it. If I really liked bar soap I would still use it. :yes

Virginia 12-22-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6198739)
Bar soap makes me itch terribly. That's why I stopped using it initially. When I realized it made the shower so much easier to clean I stopped buying it. If I really liked bar soap I would still use it. :yes

Oh man! It did take me a bit to find a good one, but our local country store sells a goat milk one I love. I also love supporting a local business.

kiloyd 12-23-2019 08:14 PM

I use Kroger's version of Dr. Bronner's bar soap or goat milk soap mostly.

As for hand soap. I buy a foam soap then buy a liquid soap refill or use shampoo to refill. Put in a little liquid and fill rest with water , leaving 1-2" of space at the top.

Today I used disinfecting wipes to quickly clean the half bath as dd had a new friend coming over. I went ahead and used them for the baseboards too. And scrubbed the toilet with the brush but no cleaner, better than not at all.

As for cleaning my tile kitchen floor, I wipe up spots as I see them. Sweep or vacuum it. Sometimes spray vinegar/water and mop with a cloth on a stick (like re-usable Swiffer). I don't wipe the floor enough, but I'm not eating off it.

Beth1231 12-24-2019 08:57 AM

I’m a magic eraser girl for things like cabinets, doors and baseboards.
I use Lysol bathroom spray and a sponge for my shower and bathroom sinks.
Swifter dry and swifter wet for my kitchen floor.
I like the foamy hand soaps that say kitchen clean and fresh or something like that on them. For bathrooms,I get whatever hand soap scent appeals to me at the moment.
Writing this all out reminds me of how many chemicals are in my house.

Virginia 12-24-2019 09:17 AM

This thread reminds me— I need to mop my floors today :doh

mariposa 12-24-2019 10:05 AM

For glass shower doors, first I get them clean (I had to resort to a stronger cleaner after more gentle ones didn't work, we have a lot of minerals in our water) and then I use Method Eucalyptus Mint Daily Shower Cleaner Spray. Sometimes I squeegee before I spray, sometimes I don't. Glass looks much better between cleanings now.

kiloyd 12-25-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth1231 (Post 6198820)
I’m a magic eraser girl for things like cabinets, doors and baseboards.
I use Lysol bathroom spray and a sponge for my shower and bathroom sinks.
Swifter dry and swifter wet for my kitchen floor.
I like the foamy hand soaps that say kitchen clean and fresh or something like that on them. For bathrooms,I get whatever hand soap scent appeals to me at the moment.
Writing this all out reminds me of how many chemicals are in my house.

Yeah, I know, here too. but I only use the chemical spray for my shower once a month at most.

I learned with shower doors to clean them first with whatever I use on the tile then use glass cleaner. And we do squeegee after every shower.

And it's Swiffer, not swifter. :giggle:P~

How many of the Swiffer wet pads do you to through when you do the kitchen floor? I had one once but felt like I'd just 5 or more every time, not just one. So I have the washable kind and I spray water/vinegar or there was another cleaner I used but forget what it was. I tried Method but it made the floor a bit tacky.

knitlove 12-25-2019 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6198446)
Clean My Space by Melissa Maker is a game changer

Ok I started listening to the book and I am about to give upon it admit that I am a horrable housekeeper and go back to the A Slob Comes Clean things. I really cannot imagine making it three times around a room.

ECingMama 12-25-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6198886)
Ok I started listening to the book and I am about to give upon it admit that I am a horrable housekeeper and go back to the A Slob Comes Clean things. I really cannot imagine making it three times around a room.

Hmmm. I was very encouraged by it. She hated cleaning. Now she's different. I want to be efficient.

Lady Grey 12-26-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6198886)

I like her videos for occasional tips but also find much of it just not my reality.