Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Toddler Lunches? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526034)

Virginia 09-07-2018 08:26 PM

Toddler Lunches?

Any ideas for toddler lunches and snacks for when I have to send KO to the sitter?

Feeding her at home is no problem, but thinking of foods that pack well for lunch at the sitter's is a different story.

Egg free and something that would keep well in a lunch box :D

She's not super picky (although she'll randomly decide she doesn't something, like strawberries, which she's been eating for 6 months...but then she eats kale and zucchini :scratch).

Also, I like making homemade stuff, but honestly I'm not above buying premade food, like high quality fish sticks or chicken nuggets :shifty :shrug

hollybells 09-07-2018 08:33 PM

Re: Toddler Lunches?

Get a cute bento box if she doesn't have one - we did a lot of snack-y lunches at that age and I used mini muffin tins with 6 compartments at home. The lunch box would let you do the same thing but well contained. :)

ECingMama 09-07-2018 09:49 PM

Veggies veggies veggies!!!!

Beans are a nice finger food.

KD loves rice. And will eat cold oatmeal
Chunks. :bag

2sunshines 09-08-2018 03:20 AM

Fresh fruit. Cut up raw veggies. Cubed or sliced cheese and cut up meat with or without crackers. Pretzels. Hummus.

esperanza 09-08-2018 05:19 AM

Can you send a small thermos? I have been doing that for ds' lunches and it is so nice. I have sent leftovers if ravioli and pasta with chicken. Stays warm in the thermos

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Virginia 09-08-2018 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6155335)
Veggies veggies veggies!!!!

Beans are a nice finger food.

KD loves rice. And will eat cold oatmeal
Chunks. :bag

Beans is a great idea. Oatmeal too-- she loves oatmeal. She doesn't like cold food, but her sitter doesn't mind warming things up for her :yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6155348)
Fresh fruit. Cut up raw veggies. Cubed or sliced cheese and cut up meat with or without crackers. Pretzels. Hummus.

Any specific raw veggies? She doesn't have molars, so we don't give her anything that we feel could be a choking hazard (like carrots). We've tried peppers--they're hit or miss.

Cheese and meat would be super easy :tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6155351)
Can you send a small thermos? I have been doing that for ds' lunches and it is so nice. I have sent leftovers if ravioli and pasta with chicken. Stays warm in the thermos

That's a great idea!

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollybells (Post 6155321)
Get a cute bento box if she doesn't have one - we did a lot of snack-y lunches at that age and I used mini muffin tins with 6 compartments at home. The lunch box would let you do the same thing but well contained. :)

Any specific bento box you'd recommend?

I have trouble coming up with snack-y foods that aren't carbs (because I personally love carbs, haha) :shifty She loves to eat things that are saucy/creamy-- casseroles, chicken enchiladas, barbecue. But those are really messy, and my sitter has six kids total in her house, so I don't want to send terribly messy things every day.

Aerynne 09-08-2018 06:49 AM

Avocados are our ultimate convenience food- I brought a half an avocado to the park yesterday and I just spoon it out and feed it to her.

Frozen peas are a favorite here (thawed). That is what we bring to church.

Grapes cut in quarters

I second beans as a finger food. She also eats pieces of homemade veggie burgers (Costco sells some that are just actual food if you don’t want to make them).

Bananas are good.

Virginia 09-08-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6155360)
Avocados are our ultimate convenience food- I brought a half an avocado to the park yesterday and I just spoon it out and feed it to her.

Frozen peas are a favorite here (thawed). That is what we bring to church.

Grapes cut in quarters

I second beans as a finger food. She also eats pieces of homemade veggie burgers (Costco sells some that are just actual food if you don’t want to make them).

Bananas are good.

She loves avocados and peas. We haven't done grapes yet. Veggie burgers is a good idea :tu Thanks! :)

Aerynne 09-08-2018 07:42 AM

Oh, and EZ lunchboxes are my favorite bento. If you get baby bottle labels you can put her name on them. It stays and stays wash after wash.

Katigre 09-08-2018 08:10 AM

https://www.yummytoddlerfood.com/adv...s-for-daycare/

mamacat 09-08-2018 10:04 AM

When you do start wanting to try raw veggies, grated carrot works better. Those applesauce/neggie or other fruit blend pouches are handy if she would like those.

schmamy 09-08-2018 11:53 AM

Following for ideas. My DD is fairly picky--she won't do veggies plain yet, and she's surprisingly not much into breads. For mom's day out I've been packing a higher-calorie pouch (one of the ones with grains and/or dairy, not just the fruit + veg ones) and some goldfish crackers or peanut butter crackers. IOW, my standards have lowered a whole lot since my firstborn was a toddler :lol

Maedchen 09-08-2018 12:58 PM

If you do grapes, make sure to cut them up and not in circle slices. (we made that mistake with our first one on a hotdog............so from then on, hotdog and grapes were cut in 1/4 slices.)

If your daughter would like carrots, you could grate them. She could either finger eat or start to learn to use her fork/spoon. (My mom made us carrot slaw with raisins. We thought it was a sweet treat.)

esperanza 09-08-2018 01:18 PM

There are also nice reusable pouches you can fill with yogurt, applesauce, smoothie, etc. Cheap, low mess, and not wasteful. The ones we had opened at the bottom for easy cleaning.

Virginia 09-08-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katigre (Post 6155369)

Thank you! Some really good ideas there :tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacat (Post 6155375)
When you do start wanting to try raw veggies, grated carrot works better. Those applesauce/neggie or other fruit blend pouches are handy if she would like those.

Grated is a great idea-- thank you! She loves those fruit/veggie blend pouches; I actually bought two boxes at Target today. I like that she can feed them to herself and they're not messy :shifty

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmamy (Post 6155383)
Following for ideas. My DD is fairly picky--she won't do veggies plain yet, and she's surprisingly not much into breads. For mom's day out I've been packing a higher-calorie pouch (one of the ones with grains and/or dairy, not just the fruit + veg ones) and some goldfish crackers or peanut butter crackers. IOW, my standards have lowered a whole lot since my firstborn was a toddler :lol

Mine likes bread but doesn't seem sure about the texture of crackers yet :giggle Funny how kids are so different!

Do you have a favorite brand pouch with grains and/or dairy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6155390)
There are also nice reusable pouches you can fill with yogurt, applesauce, smoothie, etc. Cheap, low mess, and not wasteful. The ones we had opened at the bottom for easy cleaning.

I'll have to look into those! It'd certainly be cheaper...but it would also be actual prep work for me :shifty ::giggle