Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   SO my gluten free kid ate like 49,000 twinkies.. (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525304)

milkmommy 05-07-2018 11:11 PM

SO my gluten free kid ate like 49,000 twinkies..

Okay yea not that many but...
I bought one of those big sams club packs that had a variety of Twinkies and those cream filled chocolates cakes. I'm forgetting the name. Basically a April is DH birthday month treat. I expected the box to go for at least a good month..
However the day after we discovered at least 12 of the twinkies and some of the chocolates missing. We asked but didn't get an answer. I figured we'd lost a bunch to the neighborhood kids... Was disappointed but didn't really dwell over it.
Today DH and I found a bag with like 18 empty wrappers in Margaret's room, this is our gluten free kid and generally dairy free but I'm not sure if these have any.. I confroter her at first she said she gave them to her friends. (I believed her) However after a while she admitted she had eaten them. :hunh

No putting aside the dishonesty, and all that which was and is being addressed I'm now left with another thought.. Why didn't eatting 18 pure gluten items over about a two week span of time not basically land her in the hospital.

Could it be that it IS time to retest her? Over the past few weeks she has been complaining of stomache aches she was even vomiting a bit yesterday.. It wasnt enough to stop her from playing but it has been a thing lately. I'm not sure if it was a gluten reaction or just too many sweets.. Her reactions before have been more serious from explosive diarrhea to huge mood swings rashes etc.. Honestly she had nothing big other than her saying her tummy hurts.

I'm kind of baffled...

WanderingJuniper 05-08-2018 02:44 AM

Re: SO my gluten free kid ate like 49,000 twinkies..

I am following along. My 14yo who has been GF since she was 2 was discovered eating plain white bread yesterday. She insists she is fine but it’s the mood swings and inability to cope that often are her biggest symptom last few times she had minor exposure but she’s 14 and has hormone stuff going on so injust dont know!

2sunshines 05-08-2018 02:48 AM

Interesting. :think My gf kiddo completely monitors herself -- gluten makes her hurt so badly that she has good motivation to avoid it.

Personally I think I'd probably do a re-test. Not having to avoid it for medical reasons, even if you continue to choose to avoid or limit it on your own, could make things easier.

milkmommy 05-08-2018 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6140595)
Interesting. :think My gf kiddo completely monitors herself -- gluten makes her hurt so badly that she has good motivation to avoid it.

Personally I think I'd probably do a re-test. Not having to avoid it for medical reasons, even if you continue to choose to avoid or limit it on your own, could make things easier.

It make a lot of things so much easier.

Singingmom 05-08-2018 06:36 AM

The ongoing stomache ache would be enough to convince me she shouldn't be having it, even if the symptoms aren't as severe as usual. :think

Could it be that the gluten in Twinkies is so highly refined and processed that her body doesn't quite recognize it? (I'm half kidding)

ECingMama 05-08-2018 07:27 AM

I would be sick from the sugar.

milkmommy 05-08-2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 6140626)
The ongoing stomache ache would be enough to convince me she shouldn't be having it, even if the symptoms aren't as severe as usual. :think

Could it be that the gluten in Twinkies is so highly refined and processed that her body doesn't quite recognize it? (I'm half kidding)

I've actually been wondering that. I know some with wheat allergies that can handle say wonder bread ok but a slice of a good quality whole wheat bread forget it.
As for the stomachs ache I'm still not sure stating that much sugar might make anyone sick.. She also isn't used to gluten even if she is no longer violently reacting her body still could be adjusting.

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6140637)
I would be sick from the sugar.

Yes this

Soliloquy 05-08-2018 09:33 PM

Isn't it better to test after an exposure? I thought I read that the test isn't as reliable if you've been GF for a long time. Maybe that info has changed. But, if you can fit it into your budget, maybe now would be a good time.

But, ugh, I'd have been so sick from all that sugar. :sick

milkmommy 05-08-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6140808)
Isn't it better to test after an exposure? I thought I read that the test isn't as reliable if you've been GF for a long time. Maybe that info has changed. But, if you can fit it into your budget, maybe now would be a good time.

But, ugh, I'd have been so sick from all that sugar. :sick

She already been fully tested. She doesn't have celiac. She basically has a leaky gut. An immature gut and part of why she was so little at birth and had stomach issues from birth... that the shortened version.. basically her body mimics many symptoms a celiacs would. Wheat amount other things is a big trigger..
It's something that over time we were told she could outgrow to some degree...
I'd love if we were there... I'm not sure.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

BTW I'm not sure if this is right or not. DH and I decided.. While we'd like for her to keep gluten free longer she is also at an age where she is going to test things. She getting older and with more "real world" exposure and temptations to test her limits. That it might be time for her to (with guidance) test those waters. I also said if we do try to test how she does some of her exposure also needs to be in secret as reasons Ive brought up before..
So today we were doing some shopping and ended up at target around noon everyone was hungry.. I got her a single hot dog but gave her the choice of trying the bun with it. I know from previous try's she can do the hot dog it self without issues. She had a honest kids juice with it again I know its fine and an apple I brought from home.. safe.. She choose to try the bun was very excited...
Later she started complaining her tummy hurt :cry I asked her to describe it and she just says its like its all blown up. (gassy maybe?) latter at home she vomited some.. She for now says she doesn't want more gluten... So still kind of in limbo and wondering..

tempus vernum 05-09-2018 05:24 AM

A friend who wasn’t gluten free until she was an adult said her whole childhood it hurt to button pants. That was a main issue for her w gluten.

I’m not celiacs and have no diagnosed allergies; however, gluten makes me feel like a basketball is in my stomach. I vomit; I break out in rashes. Yet I have no allergies.

:hugheart gluten free is hard in the real world :hugheart it is way way harder for me now that I’m working :banghead

How are you treating her leaky gut? If I had to start over, I’d focus on enzymes ASAP alongside broth and probiotics. Extra of all 3 when they get exposure.

milkmommy 05-09-2018 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6140844)
A friend who wasn’t gluten free until she was an adult said her whole childhood it hurt to button pants. That was a main issue for her w gluten.

I’m not celiacs and have no diagnosed allergies; however, gluten makes me feel like a basketball is in my stomach. I vomit; I break out in rashes. Yet I have no allergies.

:hugheart gluten free is hard in the real world :hugheart it is way way harder for me now that I’m working :banghead

How are you treating her leaky gut? If I had to start over, I’d focus on enzymes ASAP alongside broth and probiotics. Extra of all 3 when they get exposure.

Avoiding both gluten and dairy as those are triggers for her. Daily probotics. I try to adding fermented foods and I do a lot of cooking with bone broth but she isn't always receptive to it. We're big on bedtime as in proper sleep is a big trigger for her.

tempus vernum 05-09-2018 06:37 AM

Have you tried enzymes? Enzymes were as powerful as probiotics and bone broth for our healing journey. Maybe more powerful. Or it could be they just needed all 3??

We use this one for daily maintenance . Kids take every morning at breakfast. https://www.nowfoods.com/supplements...zymes-capsules

We also use this when people have tummy aches https://www.amazon.com/American-Heal.../dp/B00028OSSU

Both are designed to digest foods that the body needs help with. I’ve kind of concluded my kids have “weak digestion.”

Honestly all my kids can now cheat on gluten without too many issues. I cannot .. they’ve had regular probiotics and enzymes. I have not. I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately :think I’ve started taking enzymes and probiotics :doh

milkmommy 05-09-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6140858)
Have you tried enzymes? Enzymes were as powerful as probiotics and bone broth for our healing journey. Maybe more powerful. Or it could be they just needed all 3??

We use this one for daily maintenance . Kids take every morning at breakfast. https://www.nowfoods.com/supplements...zymes-capsules

We also use this when people have tummy aches https://www.amazon.com/American-Heal.../dp/B00028OSSU

Both are designed to digest foods that the body needs help with. I’ve kind of concluded my kids have “weak digestion.”

Honestly all my kids can now cheat on gluten without too many issues. I cannot .. they’ve had regular probiotics and enzymes. I have not. I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately :think I’ve started taking enzymes and probiotics :doh

No we haven't ill look into that.