Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   physical education (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522340)

gerberadaisy 03-15-2017 09:57 AM

physical education

Does anyone use Family Time Fitness (Fitness 4 Homeschool) for their Phys. ed requirement? or for their family?

Our state requires Phys. Ed & I know from experience, it'll be the lowest priority on my "to do list" so I'm looking for any help at all for a "this is what to do when" type of layout so that I'll add this in.

I don't have any requirements until 2019 (when my guys turns 8) but I want to get into a habit now so it'll be easier then. They have a free workbook for his age (kindy) but it's very short.

He'll be doing swimming & possibly soccer soon & he does play outside. We have a swing set, a teeter board, monkey bars (though he's currently too short to reach them comfortably & doesn't really like them), a mini trampoline, & we're planning on a pool this year. & of course what most kids in America have - plenty of balls, & a bike. But I definitely think I need something a little more structured for every day, to make sure I get everything in. I also like that a program would cover different activities that maybe I wouldn't think about. He is also sometimes motivated by checklists.

Other program suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

mamacat 03-15-2017 10:00 AM

Re: physical education

With all of that he does on his own I would not be troubled to do an official PE course.That is plenty!

Soliloquy 03-15-2017 02:10 PM

My kids do:

Ski school
Upwards basketball (just one kid)
Tennis lessons through park & rec

They used to take swimming lessons but we're taking a break this year and just going to the lake a lot.

We do a lot of hiking.

We're saving for kayaks. :jump2

We have Wii Fit U which is super fun and a great option for crummy weather.

We all have pedometers

mommylove 03-15-2017 03:13 PM

Our YMCA offers homeschool PE.

gerberadaisy 03-15-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6073446)
My kids do:

Ski school
Upwards basketball (just one kid)
Tennis lessons through park & rec

They used to take swimming lessons but we're taking a break this year and just going to the lake a lot.

We do a lot of hiking.

We're saving for kayaks. :jump2

We have Wii Fit U which is super fun and a great option for crummy weather.

We all have pedometers

I've thought about the Wii Fit U. Is it good for 5-6 year olds?

Soliloquy 03-15-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerberadaisy (Post 6073464)
I've thought about the Wii Fit U. Is it good for 5-6 year olds?

They might get frustrated with some of the activities, especially the balance games. Buy I think there's enough that they'll like. And plenty to grow into. It's pretty cheap on Amazon. I think $30 for the disc, balance board, and fit meter. Extra fit meters are $5 (optional).

ServingGrace 03-16-2017 03:42 AM

My kids are really into sports and what they play changes by season. For phys Ed I like to actually break down to them the why we do this for our body. I guess that is more of a biology lesson than phys Ed though. Part of it is that I am a personal trainer so I have to take yearly continuing education units. Sometimes these are fun interactive websites, or have print off pages my kids can label or color. I also like to spend a couple of weeks pre season reading a book, or two or ten, about the sport they will be going into. Depending on how structured the state you are in requires the phys Ed to be, perhaps you could just get library books on the sports you already do as well as a few books on general health and wellness. Oh I forgot to mention my state has no physical education requirement.

gerberadaisy 03-16-2017 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServingGrace (Post 6073540)
My kids are really into sports and what they play changes by season. For phys Ed I like to actually break down to them the why we do this for our body. I guess that is more of a biology lesson than phys Ed though. Part of it is that I am a personal trainer so I have to take yearly continuing education units. Sometimes these are fun interactive websites, or have print off pages my kids can label or color. I also like to spend a couple of weeks pre season reading a book, or two or ten, about the sport they will be going into. Depending on how structured the state you are in requires the phys Ed to be, perhaps you could just get library books on the sports you already do as well as a few books on general health and wellness. Oh I forgot to mention my state has no physical education requirement.

That's kind of what I want to do - the rules of the games, why we should exercise, etc.

Our state isn't really structured at all, we just have to do it. The structure is for my benefit.

Soliloquy 03-17-2017 04:54 PM

I almost forgot! This is fantastic.

https://store.t-tapp.com/collections...ant=6392432836

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Wii Fit U is $25

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FE...40_FMwebp_QL65

gerberadaisy 03-17-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6073839)
I almost forgot! This is fantastic.

https://store.t-tapp.com/collections...ant=6392432836

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Wii Fit U is $25

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FE...40_FMwebp_QL65

Just have to convince hubs that we need a wii U :-) though he was mentioning it himself.

& that TTapp thing looks interesting.

milkmommy 03-18-2017 11:38 AM

Here the public schools only do people once a week..

Cecilia takes pe through our homeschool group on Fridays she used to do some other things but not currently.
Margaret does the pe class as well as ballet. These should be enough for credit.

Redeemed 03-19-2017 05:56 PM

My sons are resuming their involvement with the First Tee on Wednesday. We also recently joined the Y. DS1 and DS2 are also enrolled for Drive, Chip, and Putt regionals come June. :)

tempus vernum 03-19-2017 07:43 PM

We do a ton of stuff for PE but call it "get active".

My kids have tried a lot of sports over the years. We recently joined the Y and they r always trying new things.

Right now, their typical activity is as follows
Dd1 (16) works out 3/wk and musical theater dance 2/wk

Ds (15) swims 3/wk and walks several times a week. He is also exploring weight lifting and asking to start tap dancing again.

Dd2 (11) does gymnastics once a week, tap once a week, musical theater dance 2/wk and swims a few times a week. Plus she's my kid who is always biking and scooterimg about

I keep saying we need to do t-tapp but it's not happened.

For high school PE, I've chosen topics as they've developed health issues and we've also done some training/education/orientations at the Y to ensure when they do new activities they do it properly. Separate from that, they will have a health credit.

For the most part, since we've exposed them to a lot of sports through classes, camps and teams, we r now focusing on long term health and fitness compared to rules/regulations and organized sports.

The goal: find what you love and do it consistently for long term health.