Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Check out my paper dolls! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523922)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 10-06-2017 02:41 PM

Check out my paper dolls!

So I started experimenting with making paper dolls in January. Those ones were a gift for a paper doll loving 7 year old. I found free paperdolls online and then digitally changed them- replaced the dolls faces with sketches of the birthday girl and her siblings. I colored the dolls and half the clothes then left half the clothes for the bday girl to color. She adored the paper dolls and still plays with them several times per week. I don't think I can sell these types until I redraw all my own paper dolls or something. :think BuT I really want to figure it out because I think it would be a fun side business to have.

But these little bear paper dolls I drew by hand and then scanned into the computer. Then I printed them and die cut them so the kiddos can punch them out instead of needing scissors. Right now I have these "classic" Halloween costumes but I'm also working on two other costume themes--- things that include mermaids, superheroes, fairies, cowboys and princesses.:heart

Im going to hand them out at the allergy conscious trick or treat party DD and I are going to. I love that they will encourage kiddos to be creative coloring their own paper dolls and hopefully playing with them. :) And I feel like they are pretty eco friendly as far as trick-or-treat favors go because they are recyclable and don't require packaging. Im trying to find 100% recycled cardstock now to print them on but having trouble finding some that doesnt break the bank.... I'm even trying to sell packages of these dolls in my local crunchy facebook groups. :rockon

I feel so nervous about that because as the artist of course I see every flaw in all the drawings I'm scared of customers getting mad when they see the scarecrows patches are a little messed up or something. :giggle

IDK....Im just imagining the worlds of paper dolls I can make now!!!!

https://s1.postimg.org/7uw6n2cvrv/IM..._173514395.jpg

https://s1.postimg.org/7cgm655rzv/22...14790817_o.jpg

https://s1.postimg.org/5o798y2f57/22...11169470_o.jpg

DD loves coloring them too. Shes now asking for all kinds of costumes for her bear---and other varieties of dolls. HAHA!
https://s1.postimg.org/5re3shn257/22...85028068_o.jpg

MegMarch 10-06-2017 02:58 PM

Re: Check out my paper dolls!

I think if they are printed on quality, sturdy paper instead of regular, you could sell for more than you are considering. I also think that you could charge a TON for custom orders taking just one or two a month, offering custom faces and clothing and accessories related to favorite characters and hobbies.

Those are excellent! As for handing out for ToT, I would include a small set of mini colored pencils or crayons with them.

Reva 10-06-2017 03:11 PM

I agree! I think you could probably charge more, especially if you really customize the faces, hair color, etc. Oh, my dd would have loved something like that when she was younger! :yes

Those are great! Good job mama!:rockon:rockon

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 10-06-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegMarch (Post 6109834)
I think if they are printed on quality, sturdy paper instead of regular, you could sell for more than you are considering. I also think that you could charge a TON for custom orders taking just one or two a month, offering custom faces and clothing and accessories related to favorite characters and hobbies.

Those are excellent! As for handing out for ToT, I would include a small set of mini colored pencils or crayons with them.

They are printed on cardstock so it is more expensive for sure...

So you guys think the bears could go for more than $8/20? Or just the custom ones would go for more?

The custom ones DEFINITELY take a lot of time to make. So I will be charging a lot more for those. I just dont know how much yet. :think

Thank you ladies very much for the boost. :heart Ive always known I couldnt make a living as an artist but this past few months Ive had this little niggle in the back of my mind asking..."But what if you COULD?":giggle

RiverRock 10-06-2017 03:30 PM

These are great!

There must be articles about pricing or comparables. Don't sell yourself short and consider making enough of a variety that they can be sold as a package. People might feel like they are getting a deal. :)

You can even make sets to go along with story books that are in the public domain and sell printable versions to teachers.

For custom orders you can offer a customized face and one customized outfit, and then let people chose the remaining outfits from your inventory. The customized outfits can become new options in your inventory for future sales. You could end up with a varied collection using other people's ideas. Win-win.

I'm not sure if copyrights are the same for paper dolls as art. A tricky thing about commissioned art is that the rights belong to the person doing the commissioning. You might want to research ways to get around this so that all rights belong to you.

I see the potential for a book. :yes

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 10-06-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRock (Post 6109845)

I'm not sure if copyrights are the same for paper dolls as art. A tricky thing about commissioned art is that the rights belong to the person doing the commissioning. You might want to research ways to get around this so that all rights belong to you.

Thats crazy :jawdrop Thank you for the heads up. I will look into it!

Ooh, a book! That would be fun!!

bananacake 10-06-2017 04:14 PM

I thought you said 8 sheets for $20, and I thought, "That's fair. And a relatively cheap gift." I think you are selling yourself short.

I could show my artist DH since this is a public post and see what he thinks :think

ECingMama 10-06-2017 06:10 PM

What fun!

They look great!

I'd just try to sell them for more than you think people would pay and then offer them on sale for what you really want to be paid.

Maedchen 10-06-2017 06:28 PM

I am not sure how to price your dolls, but I wanted to voice that I think this is a great gift, especially the custom dolls that look like the child.

My question would be how many dolls are you thinking of putting in the package? A couple of dolls with a few outfits? Or 1 custom doll with more outfits? Personally I would think that would be your price point setter.

1 doll with 7 pages of different outfits could be a smaller price set than say 2 dolls with 7 pages.? IDK , I am just going off of your mentioning doing custom sets of brothers/sisters. (Or possibly $10 more for a custom set verses the generic doll set.)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 10-06-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6109856)
I'd just try to sell them for more than you think people would pay and then offer them on sale for what you really want to be paid.

Thats a great suggestion! Thanks!

So I had the idea of maybe offering a monthly subscription thing! Im not sure on exactly how or what Id include.:think But its something to ponder.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maedchen (Post 6109862)
I am not sure how to price your dolls, but I wanted to voice that I think this is a great gift, especially the custom dolls that look like the child.

My question would be how many dolls are you thinking of putting in the package? A couple of dolls with a few outfits? Or 1 custom doll with more outfits? Personally I would think that would be your price point setter.

1 doll with 7 pages of different outfits could be a smaller price set than say 2 dolls with 7 pages.? IDK , I am just going off of your mentioning doing custom sets of brothers/sisters. (Or possibly $10 more for a custom set verses the generic doll set.)

Oh, the price was strictly for the Halloween dolls. So not customized at all. I have NO idea how I'll arrange pricing for customized dolls. :think

Singingmom 10-06-2017 07:03 PM

Those are wonderful! :hearts

Beth1231 10-06-2017 07:52 PM

These are absolutely darling! If my daughter was younger,I would definitely pay $30 for a custom set :yes

MaybeGracie 10-06-2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegMarch (Post 6109834)
As for handing out for ToT, I would include a small set of mini colored pencils or crayons with them.

Along with a business card!

Amazing paper dolls. I'd pay more than $8 for 20 sheets.

rjy9343 10-07-2017 06:08 PM

I think that they are excellent and what you want to charge is dirt cheap. I agree that you can easily charge more than $8 for twenty sheets. Especially if you customize them. Seriously look into the prices of other paper dolls and start maybe a little lower until you can get your business built. I would expect to pay far more than you are thinking of charging and would gladly do so for well made normal looking paper dolls.

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 10-07-2017 10:56 PM

I have three orders already (!!) I drew all day to finish the other two sets of costumes. I have a "Fantasy" theme and an "Adventure" theme.

They're not even colored yet, but I'm geeking out so bad, I have to share... For the mermaid costume I drew for my bear, she's holding a.... "Mermaid's purse!!!" AKA, sharks egg pod. <3 And that's a starfish crown on her head.

And its 2 AM and Im now forcing myself to bed, so you will have to wait to see what else Ive come up with. :giggle

https://s1.postimg.org/5a07g91r0b/22...53952704_o.jpg