Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Help me price this. (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526391)

knitlove 12-09-2018 03:03 PM

Help me price this.

Our chiropractor asked me to alter a dress for her.

It is super simple and I can easily do it in 2 hours start to finish?

How much should I charge?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Our local minimum wage is $10.50 and hour.

Virginia 12-09-2018 04:56 PM

Re: Help me price this.

Is this helpful?
https://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fa...ng-alterations

Soliloquy 12-09-2018 09:03 PM

Assuming you're not doing this as a regular thing, I'd charge $30-40 for a 2 hour job. You have skills that few Americans have these days. But, clothing is semi-disposable for most people, too. When I was a kid, I remember seeing tailor shops pretty regularly. Now, people just buy something new instead of altering.

I'd lean toward $30 if you really like your chiropractor.

FYI this is just my opinion, I have no idea what someone would pay at a business. I can't remember the last time I saw a tailoring shop!

RiverRock 12-09-2018 09:15 PM

It's not just your time and skills, but your tools (machine, etc...) and supplies. I teach art classes and for about five years I've kept track of my business expenses. It is amazing to see, but my supplies and expenses account for 35-50% of my gross income. Maybe this is a one time gig for you, but it is worth considering all your expenses if you want to be able to offer this service on a regular basis...otherwise you will quickly find yourself (as my husband likes to say) "In a race to zero."

ECingMama 12-09-2018 10:22 PM

I'd flat out ask her how much she planned to pay you.

How much does she charge for cash patients? Meaning is she barely covering her own costs on her job or making money hand over fist?

Our MD charges $60 for a half hour appointment. I don't think he's getting rich. His wife is an MD too but works for a big hospital and gets their insurance, I'm sure. And I feel like I'm getting a huge bargain when I see him because he sits with us the whole 30 minutes!

What I'm saying is, it seems like a really subjective job so it's hard to help you. And I tend to want people to pay what they can afford, for sure. You don't need to give her a bargain unless you are nearly certain she needs it. Can't barter?

knitlove 12-10-2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRock (Post 6164229)
It's not just your time and skills, but your tools (machine, etc...) and supplies. I teach art classes and for about five years I've kept track of my business expenses. It is amazing to see, but my supplies and expenses account for 35-50% of my gross income. Maybe this is a one time gig for you, but it is worth considering all your expenses if you want to be able to offer this service on a regular basis...otherwise you will quickly find yourself (as my husband likes to say) "In a race to zero."

Yes I don't want a race to zero. I am trying to figure out how to account for my machine and thread and what not.

I really like our chiropractor. If she had just asked I probably would have done it for her. She knows we have no job and is letting us continue in the new year worth out paying. I think part of why she offered to pay me is to help us out. We have been with her for 7 years. She came in to the office special for us when wiggle worm came home from the nicu with a cold.

I think I am going to tell her $35 or $40.

Thank you for helping me think this out.

ECingMama 12-10-2018 11:13 AM

She sounds great. I'm glad you can help her too!

Aerynne 12-10-2018 01:53 PM

I’d ask about doing it for one free adjustment.