Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   helping them learn to go to sleep (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=448912)

serenityvee 11-03-2015 12:57 PM

Re: helping them learn to go to sleep

Thank you Mamacat. My husband and I are happy with the current routine where he is down stairs with us after bath and he plays happily, then watches his favourite night time programme and has books and milk and then falls asleep next to daddy on the sofa about 9pm (I go to bed at 8.30 as I have ME) and then daddy puts him to bed after he's been asleep 20 minutes.

It was a suggestion from our health visitor to put him in his cot before he's really sleepy that I was questioning as we don't want to do this and are happy with the way things are. I don't want to make things difficult for him however if it's best to put him in his cot.

He then wakes at midnight and wants to come into our bed which again we are fine with. I just don't want to make it difficult for him to fall asleep as he gets older.

God bless

2TMama 11-03-2015 04:05 PM

Didn't realize original post was so old until someone else mentioned it :lol

:popcorn as this is super relevant for us right now.....

serenityvee 11-04-2015 06:57 AM

Really T2mama, how are you managing?

2TMama 11-04-2015 09:09 AM

I know that even if I "go with the flow" & don't intentionally change anything, our little one will be in a different phase altogether in 8ish months when the baby arrives; *however*, I am afraid of the intensity of dealing with the sleep disruption in the newborn period *along with* whatever this little guy is doing sleep/nursing-wise.....and that if I "do nothing" now in anticipation, I will be that much more overwhelmed when the time comes.

Does that make sense? :shrug

Dh gets up early for work & I hate to disrupt his sleep, but I am also not sure how to make significant changes without enlisting his help/getting his full support.

Praying for wisdom regarding next steps to take!

serenityvee 11-04-2015 11:04 AM

I am finding it hard to make sure it's quiet time say after 7.30pm as my little one has just had his bath which daddy always does and he often likes to play with him for a bit afterwards. I don't have the heart often to say keep it quiet as they have such a lovely time having fun. They do the same when daddy gets in at 6pm, it's just their way. It's daddy who settles him for bed too as I go to bed at 8.30pm.

We have candles only after 8pm ish and just have calming music on and we just relax as a family until little one asks for his milk. He then feeds to sleep with daddy in arms.

Yes we have night weened just offer water. Been doing that for 3 weeks now and I just figured it hadn't worked but it's reassuring to hear it takes months!!

mamacat 11-04-2015 11:22 AM

Yes your routine sounds perfect - like the non bedtime type I was trying to describe.No worries. This is what he needs now.It wont make harder for him later. :heart