Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Training Children with Grace and Truth? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=380661)

SortaCrunchy 10-18-2010 07:23 AM

Training Children with Grace and Truth?

I've had several friends "like" this on FB recently. I clicked through and evidently it's a "community page" for fans of Grace and Truth books. I looked through their wall posts and while it doesn't address spanking outright, it does seem to have a lot of focus on first-time obedience.

Their Books for Mom tab has a Sally Clarkson book highlight along with a few others written for moms by women. :shrug3

I've become so twitchy about the word "training." Just wondering if anyone has heard of them?

StumblinMama 10-18-2010 08:31 AM

Re: Training Children with Grace and Truth?

Is this the same group as http://www. graceandtruthbooks.com/category/parenting-child-rearing ? If so, they have some questionable books in their store (Tripp, Nancy L Demoss, videos of "The Baby Conference", etc) :yes2

SortaCrunchy 10-18-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StumblinMama (Post 3406731)
Is this the same group as http://www. graceandtruthbooks.com/category/parenting-child-rearing ? If so, they have some questionable books in their store (Tripp, Nancy L Demoss, videos of "The Baby Conference", etc) :yes2

Yes. I didn't click through to see what their actual store contained.

(Haven't heard of The Baby Conference :blush Is this going to upset me?) (probably)

StumblinMama 10-18-2010 09:51 AM

The Baby Conference, IIRC was a Gothard-sponsored deal.

Hermana Linda 10-18-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StumblinMama (Post 3406944)

:shiver

StumblinMama 10-18-2010 03:27 PM

I just checked... The Baby Conference was put on by Vision Forum. I was thinking Gothard, because the Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar were headliners this year.

Hermana Linda 10-18-2010 03:50 PM

Vision Forum is Doug Philips and is pretty much the same thing, as far as I know. :(

StumblinMama 10-18-2010 03:55 PM

Yeah I thought they were pretty intertwined :yes2

Zooey 10-18-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StumblinMama (Post 3406944)

:sick

Quote:

Originally Posted by StumblinMama (Post 3408005)
I just checked... The Baby Conference was put on by Vision Forum. I was thinking Gothard, because the Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar were headliners this year.

:sick
Actually, :sick:sick for :sickDoug Phillips.......

MissusLeata 10-21-2010 02:34 PM

From what I've seen, the baby conference is about seeing children as a blessing. Doug Phillips, Gothard and the Duggars are big on that. The conference seemed to be about things like adoption, vaccinations and home birth. I would imagine that they probably talk about "training," but that's not really mentioned anywhere in the ads.

CelticJourney 10-21-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissusLeata (Post 3415157)
From what I've seen, the baby conference is about seeing children as a blessing. Doug Phillips, Gothard and the Duggars are big on that. The conference seemed to be about things like adoption, vaccinations and home birth. I would imagine that they probably talk about "training," but that's not really mentioned anywhere in the ads.

Really? Gothard is pretty anti-adoption, so I can't see the fit.:scratch I'm fairly sure the 'training' we are concerned about would not be advertized directly.

Eowyn 10-21-2010 05:37 PM

As far as I know, while there are some similar child-rearing philosophies and martial interaction ideals, Gothard and Vision Forum are not at this point, linked.

The Baby Conference did have a lot of topics that looked interesting, but from that particular source, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

MissusLeata 10-22-2010 01:29 PM

Gothard is anti-adoption, but this is Vision Forum, which is Doug Phillips ministry. There are many similarities between Gothard and VF, but they aren't the same and VF espouses things that Gothard doesn't (for good and for bad).

CelticJourney 10-22-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissusLeata (Post 3417369)
Gothard is anti-adoption, but this is Vision Forum, which is Doug Phillips ministry. There are many similarities between Gothard and VF, but they aren't the same and VF espouses things that Gothard doesn't (for good and for bad).

But here is the problem. I know who the Duggers are philosophically (Gothard, ATI, etc). I also received a Vision Forum catalog today (homeschool list of some sort I suppose:shrug3) and the Duggers have a certain 'presence' in there - such as a half page 'Tea with Michelle Duggar' book and the large print description of 'A Celebration of Life with America's Most Inspring Mother'. If the maxum hold that 'you will be known by your friends' then I don't want any part of this dynamic.

MissusLeata 10-22-2010 02:37 PM

Oh, I'm not saying that I would want to be a part of it. Though I'm sure they'd have lots of good things to say about the blessing of babies, VF rubs me the wrong way. But from looking at it, I don't think it's a "beat your baby to make him sleep through the night" kind of seminar.